Intuition about derivative of x^2 at 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the rate of change of the variable x^2 in uniform 1D motion with constant velocity v. The equation for this rate of change is given as d(x^2)/dt = 2v^2t. However, there is confusion about the fact that at t=0, x^2 is not increasing at all while x is increasing at a rate of v. The confusion is resolved by realizing that x must also have a negative value, leading to a local minimum for x^2.
Deter Pinklage

Homework Statement

So my problem is mainly intuitive one, in that this *feels* wrong, and am mostly looking for insight.

If we have uniform 1D motion of a particle along ##x## with constant velocity ##v##, what is the rate of change (first derivative with respect to time) of the variable ##x^2##, particularly when evaluated at ##t=0##?

Homework Equations

Well, pretty simply:
##\frac {d(x^2)}{dt} = 2v^2t##

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I get that, but that would mean that at ##t=0##, ##x## is increasing at a rate of ##v##, whereas ##x^2## is not increasing at all. This confuses me because when you increase some positive number you must increase its square as well, right? Am I missing something obvious or something about the nature of infinitesimals?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you've assumed ##x=vt##, so when ##t=0##, you have ##x=0##, which isn't a positive number. Does that clear up your confusion?

Right, of course, since when ##x## goes negative, ##x^2## will still have to increase so you got to have the local minimum. Idk why when you actually think about it physically it was weird. Thanks!

FAQ: Intuition about derivative of x^2 at 0

1. What is the derivative of x^2 at 0?

The derivative of x^2 at 0 is 0. This means that the slope of the tangent line at x=0 on the graph of y=x^2 is 0.

2. How is the derivative of x^2 at 0 calculated?

The derivative of x^2 at 0 can be calculated using the formula f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h. In the case of x^2 at 0, this becomes f'(0) = lim(h->0) ((0+h)^2 - 0^2) / h = lim(h->0) (h^2) / h = lim(h->0) h = 0.

3. What does the derivative of x^2 at 0 represent?

The derivative of x^2 at 0 represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at x=0. In other words, it is the slope of the tangent line at that point.

4. Why is the derivative of x^2 at 0 important?

The derivative of x^2 at 0 is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where rates of change are important.

5. How does the derivative of x^2 at 0 relate to the graph of y=x^2?

The derivative of x^2 at 0 is the slope of the tangent line at x=0 on the graph of y=x^2. This means that it gives us information about how the curve is changing at that specific point. If the derivative is positive, the curve is increasing; if it is negative, the curve is decreasing; and if it is 0, the curve is flat at that point.

Back