Investigating Charles' Law: Estimating Water Vapour's Effect on Results

• Thread starter Myr73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Water
In summary, the conversation discussed a lab experiment testing Charles's law using a container filled with salted water and a pipette. The volume of water was observed as it rose in the pipette while the container was in the freezer, and the volume of air in the pipette was determined by subtracting the volume of water from the total volume. A graph was created using the volume of air versus temperature data, and the estimated temperature at zero volume of air was found to be -160C, with the correct temperature being -273.15C. Possible errors and limitations of the lab were also discussed, including the impact of water vapor in the air on the calculated data. It was noted that the volume of air may be affected by the
Myr73
I am working on a lab, that was to test charle's law. In order to do so, I filled a conainer with salted water, that had a pippette taped on the inside of it. I then inserted it in the freezer and observed it's temperature as the water volume rose in the pippette. I then took the volume of water data and found the volume of air in the pipette by subtraction .After creating a graph of volume air versus Temperature, I extrapolated the graph in order to find what the estimate Temperature would be at Volume zero of air.

My answer was -160C , of course we all know the correct temperature is -273.15C.

Now I have to explain what the possible erros are, I have most, however the instructions said to explain how the water vapour in the air could be affecting the calculations. And to estimate how much it could be affecting the calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't just say I calculated X and it turned to be equal to -160. Show us your calculations. It's impossible to help you if you don't show your work

The graph was extrapolated. It's not really about the answer, the answer is expected to be wrong. The question is to explain why the answer would not be exact. Like what are the lab limitations. I have most of the limitations found. Except for the part about why and how the water vapor would affect the calculated data. That is, why would it affect the volume of air in the pipette. The volume of air was found by subtracting the volume of the pipette by the volume of the water in the pipette for every given amount.

The water vapor can give larger than actual measurements for the volume of air since water in vapor form doesn't get subtracted from the total volume.

It is important to consider the potential impact of water vapor on the results of your experiment as it can significantly affect the accuracy of your data. Water vapor is a gas that is present in the air and can contribute to changes in temperature and pressure within your experimental setup.

One possible error that could arise from the presence of water vapor is an increase in the volume of air within the pipette. As the temperature of the salted water in the container decreases, the water vapor in the air surrounding the pipette will condense and reduce the volume of air within the pipette. This decrease in volume may not be accurately reflected in your calculations if you assume that the volume of air remains constant.

Additionally, the condensation of water vapor can also lead to a decrease in the temperature of the surrounding air. This decrease in temperature can affect the accuracy of your temperature measurements and therefore impact the results of your experiment.

To estimate the potential impact of water vapor on your calculations, you could perform a separate control experiment where you eliminate the presence of water vapor. This could involve using a desiccant or drying agent to remove the water vapor from the air surrounding the pipette. By comparing the results of your control experiment to your original experiment, you can estimate the extent to which water vapor may have affected your data.

In conclusion, it is important to acknowledge and account for the potential impact of water vapor on the results of your experiment when investigating Charles' Law. By considering and minimizing the effects of water vapor, you can ensure the accuracy and reliability of your data.

Related to Investigating Charles' Law: Estimating Water Vapour's Effect on Results

1. What is Charles' Law?

Charles' Law is a gas law that states the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming the pressure and amount of gas are constant. In other words, as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa.

2. How does water vapor affect the results of Charles' Law?

Water vapor can affect the results of Charles' Law because it takes up space in the container and adds pressure to the system. This can alter the volume of the gas being studied, leading to inaccurate results if not accounted for.

3. How can the effect of water vapor be estimated in an experiment?

The effect of water vapor can be estimated by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment and measuring the volume of the gas at different temperatures with and without the presence of water vapor. The difference in the volume can then be attributed to the water vapor's effect.

4. What are the potential sources of error when investigating Charles' Law with water vapor?

Potential sources of error include variations in temperature and pressure within the experiment, as well as incomplete removal of water vapor from the container. Additionally, the accuracy of the instruments used to measure volume and temperature can also contribute to error.

5. How can the accuracy of the results be improved when investigating Charles' Law with water vapor?

The accuracy of the results can be improved by controlling and monitoring the temperature and pressure within the experiment, thoroughly removing water vapor from the container, and using precise instruments for measurement. Conducting multiple trials and taking an average can also help to reduce the impact of any individual errors.