Is a balanced magnet-spring harmony a possibility?

• Thread starter I'm on a moose.
  • Start date
In summary: The idea is to have a pair of shoes that have magnets on either side of the foot so when you step on the spring the magnets will hold the shoe to the spring and you can run or do other activities with it. The idea is that it would be like having springs in your shoes that you could use to jump or do other stunts. Unfortunately the idea has been met with some skepticism because it is seen as being too simple and not being practical.
I'm on a moose.
Hi Engies, I've been bothered by this idea I've had for a while that seems too simple to work.
Can somebody help me drown it in reason?

I'll spare the redundancy of the whole idea, basically I need to know if there has ever been a spring made with attracting permanent or one permanent one electromagnet on either end that can lock the spring closed until the magnet is pulled away enough to release the springs energy or the electromagnet is turned off. The spring-magnet contraption would also have to be scale-able to the size and power of human spring shoes and as such would need to continue to function with the interaction of it's neighbor's fields as well.

I feel like a permanent magnet would have to be too strong to hold down a human bearing spring while still being able to release it or maybe the magnetic drag on the spring would consume too much stored energy as it was being released, producing a jump too small to reset the springs. I have always been under-financed for formal education and as such have no internal repertoire of modern material properties. I considered this might be solvable by use of an electromagnet, however I know very little about their magnetic power or energy consumption. Ideally the electromagnet would not require much energy, very ideally it would self-generate from in-built kinetic generators and/or the electrical induction of the moving magnets, but like I said I don't know crap about them.

TL;DR - Is there a possible tipping point of dominant forces between attracting magnets on either end of a spring?

That's the basic idea, please kill it for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm on a moose. said:
Hi Engies, I've been bothered by this idea I've had for a while that seems too simple to work.
Can somebody help me drown it in reason?

I'll spare the redundancy of the whole idea, basically I need to know if there has ever been a spring made with attracting permanent or one permanent one electromagnet on either end that can lock the spring closed until the magnet is pulled away enough to release the springs energy or the electromagnet is turned off. The spring-magnet contraption would also have to be scale-able to the size and power of human spring shoes and as such would need to continue to function with the interaction of it's neighbor's fields as well.

I feel like a permanent magnet would have to be too strong to hold down a human bearing spring while still being able to release it or maybe the magnetic drag on the spring would consume too much stored energy as it was being released, producing a jump too small to reset the springs. I have always been under-financed for formal education and as such have no internal repertoire of modern material properties. I considered this might be solvable by use of an electromagnet, however I know very little about their magnetic power or energy consumption. Ideally the electromagnet would not require much energy, very ideally it would self-generate from in-built kinetic generators and/or the electrical induction of the moving magnets, but like I said I don't know crap about them.

TL;DR - Is there a possible tipping point of dominant forces between attracting magnets on either end of a spring?

That's the basic idea, please kill it for me.

Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, but I wasn't able to track what you are asking about. Do you have a sketch? What is the purpose of these spring shoes -- to help folks run faster or something? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, but I wasn't able to track what you are asking about. Do you have a sketch? What is the purpose of these spring shoes -- to help folks run faster or something? :smile:

The original idea was a possible new take on those spring stilts for yes things like running and sport.

Attachments

• feels like troll physics.jpg
    feels like troll physics.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 419

Related to Is a balanced magnet-spring harmony a possibility?

1. Is it possible to achieve a balanced magnet-spring harmony?

Yes, it is possible to achieve a balanced magnet-spring harmony. In fact, many scientists and engineers have been studying and experimenting with this concept for decades.

2. How does a balanced magnet-spring harmony work?

A balanced magnet-spring harmony works by utilizing the forces of both magnets and springs to create a stable equilibrium. The magnets provide a repulsive force while the springs provide a restoring force, resulting in a delicate balance between the two.

3. What are the potential applications of a balanced magnet-spring harmony?

The potential applications of a balanced magnet-spring harmony are vast and varied. This concept has been explored in fields such as robotics, energy storage, and levitation technology. It also has potential uses in medical devices, transportation, and structural stability.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to achieving a balanced magnet-spring harmony?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to achieving a balanced magnet-spring harmony. One of the main challenges is finding the right balance between the strength of the magnets and the stiffness of the springs. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and vibration can affect the balance and stability of the system.

5. What further research is being done in this field?

Scientists and engineers continue to conduct research and experiments in this field to further understand the principles of a balanced magnet-spring harmony and its potential applications. Some areas of focus include optimizing the design and materials used, as well as finding ways to enhance the stability and performance of the system.