Is Isotropic Surface Roughness Assumption Valid?

In summary, the textbook assumes an isotropic surface to evaluate a 4-D integral, but the final answer is correct even though the roughness is not actually isotropic.
Irid

Homework Statement

I'm studying scattering from a rough surface, and my textbook defines h(x,y) as a small vertical deviation from a flat surface. Then they proceed calculations by assuming that the height difference between two points h(x,y)-h(x',y')=some f(x-x', y-y'), i.e. it depends only on the relative position of the two points. In other words, the surface is isotropic.

2. Question
I don't see what kind of surface would ever fulfill this condition, except some very special one, like a constant inclination. If there are any bumps or dips, obviously Δh will not be the same as me move around the surface using the same bar of length (x-x')... Could anybody explain this assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree, it would imply that all points with rational offsets from a given point would form a plane. Are you sure that's what is being assumed, rather than some statistical relationship?

I'm referring to the book 'Modern X-Ray Physics'. They first assume this isotropic surface to evaluate a 4-D integral, and the statistical correlation between different points comes in later (uncorrelated surface and Gaussian correlation are treated in detail). My Prof. hinted that the isotropic assumption is valid on a scale intermediate between the rapid oscilations at atomic level and the flat surface at macroscopic distances. Apparently this is an isotropic roughness assumption, but I can't find any clear info on it :(

It still only makes sense to me as a statistical statement, e.g. that the probability distribution of h(x,y)-h(x',y')=some f(x-x', y-y'). Can you quote the book in some detail?

I think I got it figured out. The assumption in that crap book is plain wrong, but the final answer is correct, even though for a completely different reason... since the roughness is isotropic, the integral over x' over a sufficiently large distance will not depend on where x was chosen, which renders integral over x trivial. Thanks for inspiration anyway :)

Related to Is Isotropic Surface Roughness Assumption Valid?

1. What is scattering from a rough surface?

Scattering from a rough surface is the process in which electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves, are reflected in many different directions due to irregularities on the surface of an object.

2. How does the roughness of a surface affect scattering?

The roughness of a surface plays a major role in scattering. The more irregularities on the surface, the more scattering will occur. This is because the irregularities act as tiny diffraction gratings, causing the incoming wave to split into multiple waves that travel in different directions.

3. What factors determine the amount of scattering from a rough surface?

The amount of scattering from a rough surface is determined by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident wave, the angle of incidence, and the roughness of the surface. Additionally, the polarization of the incident wave and the refractive index of the material the surface is made of can also affect the amount of scattering.

4. How is scattering from a rough surface used in scientific research?

Scattering from a rough surface is an important phenomenon that is studied in many scientific fields, such as physics, materials science, and remote sensing. It can provide valuable information about the properties of a surface, such as its roughness and composition, and is often used for surface characterization and imaging.

5. Can scattering from a rough surface be controlled or reduced?

While scattering from a rough surface cannot be completely eliminated, it can be controlled or reduced through various methods such as using anti-reflective coatings, changing the angle of incidence, or using specialized materials with specific surface properties. This is important in many applications where minimizing scattering is desired, such as in optical devices and remote sensing technologies.