Is Killing a Pig Any Different Than Killing a Person?

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the morality of killing and the justification for it in different situations. The participants mention cultural and religious values, as well as personal beliefs, and how they relate to the act of killing. The conversation also touches on the concept of a universal right to self-ownership and how it applies to killing.
Moridin said:
If you are not interested in attempting to refute my argument, then why do you continue to post?

Ah, I see - I'm only allowed to post on Moridin-approved topics in this thread with Moridin-approved arguments?

Moridin said:
Solipsism is self-refuting for two reasons. It is fundamentally without support, since any logical or evidential argument would be question-begging and invalid.

LOL!

Moridin said:
Moreover, the fact that you are trying to argue for solipsism with me, shows that you presuppose the invalidity of solipsism. After all, why would you take part in a rational discussion on solipsism unless that person was more than just simply a figment of your imagination?

Well, if that person was a very clownish and entertaining figment of my imagination - an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese - it would be entirely worthwhile to engage in a discussion and not irrational by any means.

This is great, it's like watching a Looney Tunes cartoon about philosophy or something. I'm going to go make some popcorn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I see - I'm only allowed to post on Moridin-approved topics in this thread with Moridin-approved arguments?

You can post what irrational nonsense you want, although, as I've pointed out, makes your position contradictory.

LOL!

What an intelligent non-argument. Care to try again?

Well, if that person was a very clownish and entertaining figment of my imagination - an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese - it would be entirely worthwhile to engage in a discussion and not irrational by any means.

But you agree that attempting to take part in a rational discussion with an individual presupposes the actual exists of said individual, which means that a belief in solipsism is false. The only way you can salvage solipsism is if you admit that you are not trying to take part in a rational debate, in which case you have no objectively valid case since you would have no reason to argue with a figment of your imagination.

The fact that you continue to reply, shows that you presuppose that solipsism is false.

Moridin said:
The fact that you continue to reply, shows that you presuppose that solipsism is false.

Or that, as I have already pointed out, watching you dance the jig is immensely entertaining. And seeing you attempt to employ your psychic powers is definitely one of the more droll parts.

Since no one commented on the “undigested bit of beef” allusion I'll engage in a bit of conceit and point it out myself. It's a Dickensian reference. Moridin is chained and blinded by his own folly like Jacob Marley. Tee hee!

“Oh! captive, bound, and double-ironed,” cried the phantom, “not to know, that ages of incessant labour, by immortal creatures, for this Earth must pass into eternity before the good of which it is susceptible is all developed. Not to know that any Christian spirit working kindly in its little sphere, whatever it may be, will find its mortal life too short for its vast means of usefulness. Not to know that no space of regret can make amends for one thread's opportunity misused! Yet such was I! Oh! such was I!”

“But you were always good at dialectical argument, Jacob,” faltered Moridin, who now began to apply this to himself.

Beware Moridin, or you may find yourself wandering empty, unresponsive threads for all eternity.

Yeesh, people! I'm locking this.