Is Labeling Evolution as Just a Theory in Textbooks a Reasonable Approach?

In summary, the Mississippi lawmakers are proposing a disclaimer on textbooks discussing evolution, noting that no one was present when life first appeared on earth. Therefore, any statement about life's origins should be considered a theory.
mgb_phys said:
The other point about the evolution of the eye is that it's a crap design.
The wiring to the retina is in front of the sensitive surface and has to go back through it to get to the brain.
If it was designed by God then it must have been on the same day that she did testicles.

There is that, if someone claims that god designed the eye, and that (s)he couldn't have come up with a better design, then they seem to be claiming that god is an incompetent designer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think trilobite eyes were simply light sensitive calcite rods. In case anyone wants a starting point for eye evolution.

NeoDevin said:
There is that, if someone claims that god designed the eye, and that (s)he couldn't have come up with a better design, then they seem to be claiming that god is an incompetent designer.

Someone has been sleeping in their creationist meetings and reading their king james bible wrong. The correct way to read the bible is to ignore most everything, except for th most crazy parts and the parts about dragons and unicorns. Next read some parts to mean what they clearly do not mean. Upon doing so and witsome added praying one arrives at a correct creationist solution. G*d with his ghost helper self and son self created the eye to be the best eye that could possibly be 6k years ago. Unfortunately free will is somewhat important (though not important enough to get evangilist to leave you alone early in the morning) so people (with the help of the devil) do bad thing. Doing bad things causes you eyes (and other parts) to deteriorate. In the 6k years since creation our ancestors caused our eyes to worsen from perfect to their current sorry state, also our life has been shortened from infinity to a thosand years to a hundred years. Before long we will be blind with a life of 2 years.

mgb_phys said:
I think bacteria can thrive on just about anything that has chemical energy in it somewhere - I for one welcome our old bacteria overlords !

From superbug to supreme rulers of Earth, it seemed inevitable really. Now all they have to do is develop a functioning governmental structure and they are in. Well they probably couldn't mess it up worse than Bush. Hail Streptocochius Maximus Emperor of the World!

Ironically the eye issue, now some 200 years old was cleared up in the mid part of the 20th century if not sooner. But then Creationists do live in the past. Those cutting edge creationists now have moved onto the flagellum of some few celled organisms, which was explained about 5 years ago.

Here's a diagram for the educationally challenged creationist. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diagram_of_eye_evolution.svg

In creationism and intelligent design

The eye is often used by creationists as an example of an organ which is irreducibly complex and so must have been created by a divine creator.[26][27]

The concept of irreducible complexity has been criticised as being an argument from ignorance.[28] If a particular author cannot imagine a way in which the eye evolved, this does not have any bearing upon whether or not the eye actually did evolve.

The available scientific evidence, both fossil and genetic, demonstrates that the complex eyes seen in modern species evolved from much simpler forms over millions of years. Furthermore, since eyes spanning the full range of complexity are found in species alive today, this erodes the notion of irreducible complexity as it applies to the eye.[20]

Last edited:
Monique said:
To play the devil's advocate, there is a difference between micro- and macro-evolution (I've never seen a bacterium develop an eye :wink:). This is usually an issue, people will acknowledge micro-evolution but can't grip macro-evolution.

russ_watters said:
Define "macro evolution". If speciation is enough, here are several dozen examples where it was directly observed (even created!): http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

Monique said:
Macro-evolution may be a controversial term. What I mean is the evolution of a complex system: the fact that you need each component for the system to work, so how can such a system be created without every component being in place (the eye as an example).

It is an argument often used by creationists, they acknowledge that genes can mutate and be selected, but refute that mutations will lead to complex machinery. In fact, it is something that amazes me on a daily basis. It is definitely not something to be taken for granted.

I know someone (fervent Christian) with a Master's degree in Zoology who doesn't believe in evolution as a theory applicable to the whole, but only in the bits they wish to accept as possible. So basically they're willing to accept that evolution exists, just not that it affects EVERYTHING including the human species. A favourite quote of theirs (it is truly cringeworthy) is along the following lines:

"My great, great, great, great, great-grandfather definitely wasn't a bowl of soup."

You can apply as much logic and reason in the arguments against such ridiculous beliefs as you wish, but the very nature of the argument you are refuting is also the reason why you'll almost always fail to convince the other party that their idea is preposterous. It is a "belief argument". Based on nothing other than the believer's personal intent to have it be so no matter what. Logic and reason has nothing to do with it.

For people like ourselves, it is an exercise in futility and I believe a waste of breath to challenge these archaic minds in debate.

NeoDevin said:
Irreducible complexity (a given system is irreducibly complex if the rest of the system is completely useless without anyone of it's components) has never been shown to exist in nature. The eye is easy to reduce, here's an example of how it could have evolved (I'm no biologist, so I don't know off hand how it actually happened, this is off the top of my head)
I've read "Darwin's Black Box" and perhaps the funniest thing about it is after the author goes through the trouble of explaining irreducable complexity, he goes on to describe in some detail how the eye actually did evolve (similar to your description), easily refuting his own argument. It was very odd.

The challenge in evolution is to understand the sequence of changes. Knowing the transitions leads to the answers of questions such as:

1. What good is a partial wing that won't fly?
2. What good is a limb that won't support a body?

The answers to these questions suggest that a wing may not have started out as a means of flying. The evolution of life has not been done with purposeful design. That was the notion of Lamark.

Claims of Irreducible complexity suppose that evolution has proceeded to produce a limb from no limb or an eye from no eye. It is unlikely that the evolutionary path was direct. It certainly is not purposeful.

So they've given up on the bacterial flagellar motor, have they?

Gokul43201 said:
So they've given up on the bacterial flagellar motor, have they?

It was shown that missing a few pieces it is a secretion system some bacteria use to inject toxins into cells.

Edit: Interesting, I just read on wikipedia that the secretion system likely evolved from the flagellum...

NeoDevin said:
It was shown that missing a few pieces it is a secretion system some bacteria use to inject toxins into cells.

Edit: Interesting, I just read on wikipedia that the secretion system likely evolved from the flagellum...
Wait, that doesn't sound right - from the little bit that I've read/seen the flagellar motor looks way more complex than the poison shooter.

tribdog said:
I think trilobite eyes were simply light sensitive calcite rods. In case anyone wants a starting point for eye evolution.

I recall a show about jellyfish that have primitive receptor areas around their skirt and no apparent primitive brain to coordinate them all, but manages still to learn to navigate to and among the mangrove roots to seek out its meals.

Here is an article that a quick search pulls up:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17913669/

The eye is that it shows up a common mistake, that evolution was aiming at us.
People ask what use is a half-formed eye - you have got a half formed eye!
It can't zoom, it's crap at night, it doesn't do UV or IR, can't detect polarisation.
But it's still worth opening them occasionally.

Last edited:
The flagellum has been presented in an inaccurate manner by Creationists to further their cause.

"In fact the images that Behe, Dembski, and their ID colleagues show are often not pictures of real flagella. Some of them are just products of an artist’s imagination (Figure 1); others are computer-generated images of imaginary machine-like contraptions. The schematics like that in Figure 2, while reflecting many actual features of flagella, are products of a modeling approximation which likewise can’t pretend to reflect adequately the actual structure of a tiny organelle."

The often shown photo of the flagellum is in fact not a single photograph, but the superposition of multiple photographs. It represents an ideal and not an actual flagellum. In fact, the structure is misleading due to the relatively low resolution the image. Better resolution images of many flagellum show that the structure is not machine like, is not a piece of engineering, but a typical biological structure of faults and twisted together proteins.

Evolution is not just a theory. I've played with it on a petri dish.
You let grow some bacteria on a petri dish, where the only source of nutrients is whatever you want. With some time and help on mutagenic agents you'll get one cell that manages to survive. The key point is increase the pressure (limit standard nutrients, increase non-natural nutrient) smoothly.
Lot of products, including antibiotics and vitamin C are produced by bacterial strains obtained using the evolution.

Of course, on bigger living organisms it takes longer, but a classical experiment was performed with snails to show it.

There is a strong molecular biology basis for evolution.

Another question is if there is a god that instead of creating species, it created an environment and is looking how his experiment evolves.

I did not know the URL. Should have written it.

mgb_phys said:
The eye is that it shows up a common mistake that evolution was aiming at us.
People ask what use is a half-formed eye, you have got a half formed eye!
It can't zoom, it's crap at night, it doesn't do UV or IR, can't detect polarisation.
But it's still worth opening them occasionally.

The human eye has evolved to become 50% reproductive organ. (Like you said same day as testicles):smile:.

phyzmatix said:
You can apply as much logic and reason in the arguments against such ridiculous beliefs as you wish, but the very nature of the argument you are refuting is also the reason why you'll almost always fail to convince the other party that their idea is preposterous. It is a "belief argument". Based on nothing other than the believer's personal intent to have it be so no matter what. Logic and reason has nothing to do with it.

What's more, the accepted definitions of God allow that all of science could be a cosmic hoax. If one accepts the notion of omnipotence, the rest is a no-brainer [pun intended].

However, to be fair, I am a bit perplexed by the number of educated people who can't seem to grasp that notion. The definitions of God effectively exclude loss of the argument through logic. But what really confuses me are religious people who try to argue against the science. In many ways they betray their own beliefs - that God is capable of fooling everyone, or that he allows Satan to do so.

Last edited:
The other motivation for ignoring the science is the idea that life is a test of faith. Many religions teach that our very reason for existing is so that each of us can make a choice. Evolution theory and science in general can be viewed as just another part of the test. So yes, it is pointless to argue these issues with someone who has based their life on faith and who takes the bible literally. You will only be seen as another part of the test. Ironically, you may even strengthen their faith by trying to argue the point - make one mistake and it will be seen as proof that you are wrong. And even if you never make a mistake, without a common frame of reference, your arguments will not be seen as compelling. They will be taken as nothing but a bunch of double-talk and mumbo jumbo.

Of course, many [most?] believers do accept the validity of science.

Last edited:
This may be a naive question, but do we actually see evolution on a cellular scale, i mean do we see cells with advantageous adaptions, is radiation a factor.

Ivan Seeking said:
The other motivation for ignoring the science is the idea that life is a test of faith. Many religions teach that our very reason for existing is so that each of us can make a choice. Evolution theory and science in general can be viewed as just another part of the test. So yes, it is pointless to argue these issues with someone who has based their life on faith and who takes the bible literally. You will only be seen as another part of the test.
And don't mention the Babel Fish to them

wolram said:
This may be a naive question, but do we actually see evolution on a cellular scale, i mean do we see cells with advantageous adaptions, is radiation a factor.
Yes - just go to a hospital and you will meet lots of bacteria cells that have evolved recently

I should have asked , do we see individual cells clumping together to form a better organism,
what is the simplest multi cellular organism, do we see adventagous adaptations?

Ivan Seeking said:
The other motivation for ignoring the science is the idea that life is a test of faith.
I'm not really convinced that's the actual motiviation, as opposed to simply being an symptom of some other motiviation (e.g. peer pressure, or a desire to rationalize something) It would be interesting to know if these examples really are different than other examples of anti-intellectualism, though I suppose that would be beyond the scope of this thread.

The motivations are complex, on one hand they are looking at something with fear and animosity that attacks, as they see it, their faith in the inerrancy of The Bible. And on the other there is a need to evangelise their position. There is in some a genuine concern that if you do not accept their version of the faith you are going to hell; when motivated by such considerations, those who genuinely believe are certain that you are wrong, and will only come to a rational conclusion by themselves when exposed to rational concerns. There are of course social pressures as well, many people are exposed to little in the way of education, or are told that that education is false. When most everyone around you in your social community is sure science is wrong, and that's all you've ever been exposed to, it can be really difficult to get out of what is a form of brainwashing.

I've had to supervise a student who by religion did not accept evolution, it was a strange experience. In developmental biology you are using model organisms and continually are looking at the conservation of proteins and their functions. According to the student we would all go to hell, because we did not believe in a god. A colleague commented, I rather go to hell than to heaven, at least I'll know all my friends will be there :-p

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Mark Twain. :smile:

Hell is awesome! all the intense heat and energy... the ideal place to study high energy physics (or plasma physics)! you don't even need an accelerator!

tim_lou said:
Hell is awesome! all the intense heat and energy... the ideal place to study high energy physics (or plasma physics)! you don't even need an accelerator!

Yes, but you can be sure if physics is your love, Satan will task you with verifying Bose-Einstein condensation.

Miss South Carolina gets to study high energy physics.

Ivan Seeking said:
The other motivation for ignoring the science is the idea that life is a test of faith. Many religions teach that our very reason for existing is so that each of us can make a choice. Evolution theory and science in general can be viewed as just another part of the test. So yes, it is pointless to argue these issues with someone who has based their life on faith and who takes the bible literally. You will only be seen as another part of the test.
How do these people come to the conclusion that everything in life is a test other than the story their preacher tells them? If you ask me, it's a lot easier to believe that the one story the preacher is feeding me is the hoax, rather than every single other thing in all of the universe except for that one story.

Whether life, the universe and everything is a hoax or not is immaterial - what is true is that even if it were, science does a pretty darn good job of explaining how things work within this hoax. If you don't want to believe evolution because of this hoax nonsense, then you ought not to also believe that computers work or that gravity might have something to say about your well-being if you walk out of your sixth floor window.

Gokul43201 said:
How do these people come to the conclusion that everything in life is a test other than the story their preacher tells them?
Probably the same way that some people come to believe in a massive scientific conspiracy to stop new ideas from coming forth, or others that all dissenting political opinions is nothing more than liberal/neo-con propaganda (depending on which side of the fence he is).

Gokul43201 said:
If you don't want to believe evolution because of this hoax nonsense, then you ought not to also believe that computers work or that gravity might have something to say about your well-being if you walk out of your sixth floor window.

I've never had gravity speak to me that way!

I think the real split in the human evolutionary tree was when Darwin offered us such an insightful look at the machinations of life. Some agreed and some did not.

The theory, if not the "theorem", of Evolution was the mutation in modern humans that was expressed or "accepted" in some and not in others. Today its not the "knuckle dragging" that separates the creationist from the "evolutionists", its the creationist's stubborn adherence to unfounded literal beliefs in mythological tales.

In this case, who has the "fittest" traits to survive the changing environment in which we find ourselves today?

Hypotheis vs. theory
Posted Jan17-09 at 11:26 PM by t1nick
I was a scientist for a decade and have been a science teacher for two decades. I was wondering if it bothers anyone besides myself the way people (scientists included) misuse the terms, "hypothesis" and "theory" all the time. I'm constantly hearing other scientists and media use the word "theory" when they should be using the word "hypothesis".

I was taught that a "hypothesis" becomes a theory, only after it has been tested tens of hundreds of times by competent science peers, who have acquired identical or near identical results. As such, once this "hypothesis has a body of data that is substantial (thousands to hundreds of thousands of corroborating data points), a statement can be made that is about as near a scientific fact as one can get.

I am constantly hearing people throw out the term "theory" to any idea that has recently occurred to them. This may seem like an insignificant point in which to make. However, as a science instructor whose job is to teach the scientific process and the differing levels of data reliability, this distinction becomes quite important.

The new dialogue involving science in our everyday life, and the bandying about the reliance of science at the highest levels of our government impacts the creation of policy and laws governing us all. The lack of understanding of the significance of this essential difference allows the politicians and the general public to off-handedly disregard or dismiss many important scientific ideas and fields of research. It keeps the debate of "evolution" alive by relegating the entire field to, "its just a theory after all".

Even the so-called cable Science stations (National Geographic, Discovery Channels, TLC,
History, etc), and popular science/math -based serials (Numbers, CSI ad infinitum, etc), misuse these terms. They have tremendous influence on students and make our job as science educators much more difficult. Does anybody besides myseld find this trend troublesome, if not ultimately dangerous for Science in general?

Back