Is Our Everyday Thinking Flawed? Discover the Science Behind Our Daily Mistakes

• Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Psychology
Hi Everyone

As part of the Masters in Philosophy program I am doing, I am also taking some free courses offered by other universities. I found one I initially thought was about critical thinking. I was wrong. It's about the psychology of the mistakes we make every day and why we make them. I checked with other mentors, and since it is about experimental results, it is OK to post here if people want to take it. It's free.

https://www.edx.org/learn/thinking/the-university-of-queensland-the-science-of-everyday-thinking

As an aside, it is from the university up the road, the University Of Queensland, and you get a glimpse of their beautiful campus near where I grew up.

I found it fascinating.

Thanks
Bill

• Skeptical
Likes sbrothy, Greg Bernhardt and Bystander
Biology news on Phys.org
Suspiciously I was told there was exactly one sign-up opening...

But I may just be paranoid.

sbrothy said:
Suspiciously I was told there was exactly one sign-up opening...

But I may just be paranoid.

I can't check because I have done the course. It gives me - course completed.

I tried another course, also starting today, Introduction to Data Analytics, and it gave me no problem.

Thanks
Bill

As I said: I may be too paranoid. I admit I didn't dig deep enough to offer a real serious opinion, so I will give you and the course the benefit of the doubt. Also I'll congratulate you if you feel you gained something.

Likes bhobba

Related to Is Our Everyday Thinking Flawed? Discover the Science Behind Our Daily Mistakes

What is the main premise of the book "Is Our Everyday Thinking Flawed? Discover the Science Behind Our Daily Mistakes"?

The main premise of the book is to explore the cognitive biases and errors that affect our everyday decision-making processes. It delves into the psychological and neurological underpinnings of why we make certain mistakes and how these flaws in thinking can impact our daily lives.

What are some common cognitive biases discussed in the book?

The book discusses several common cognitive biases, including confirmation bias, where people favor information that confirms their preconceptions; availability heuristic, where people overestimate the importance of information that is readily available; and anchoring, where individuals rely too heavily on the first piece of information they receive.

How does the book suggest we can mitigate these everyday thinking flaws?

The book suggests various strategies to mitigate thinking flaws, such as becoming more aware of these biases, questioning our assumptions, seeking out diverse perspectives, and using structured decision-making processes. It also advocates for mindfulness and reflective thinking as tools to improve cognitive performance.

Are there any real-world examples or case studies included in the book?

Yes, the book includes numerous real-world examples and case studies to illustrate how cognitive biases manifest in everyday situations. These examples range from personal decision-making scenarios to larger societal issues, helping readers understand the practical implications of flawed thinking.

Who is the intended audience for this book?

The intended audience for the book includes anyone interested in psychology, cognitive science, or self-improvement. It is particularly useful for individuals who want to understand and improve their decision-making processes, including professionals in fields such as business, education, and healthcare.