Is RMS speed dependent on pressure?

In summary: S summary:In summary, pressure affects the motion of molecules, which in turn affects the speed of a gas. If temperature is not forced to remain constant, increasing pressure requires work to be done on the gas, which can only be done by increasing temperature.
phymath7
TL;DR Summary
One question appeared in my test.It asked that if pressure of two gases are increased to two times of the previous,then how much change would happen to the ratio of the r.m.s speed of the two gases keeping the temperature constant?
As it is clear from the formula for r.m.s speed ,it is only dependent of temperture for a particular gas,I think the answer should be "No change happens".But I wonder whether there is more insight to this.And is my assumption true?

Science news on Phys.org
phymath7 said:
TL;DR Summary: One question appeared in my test.It asked that if pressure of two gases are increased to two times of the previous,then how much change would happen to the ratio of the r.m.s speed of the two gases keeping the temperature constant?

As it is clear from the formula for r.m.s speed ,it is only dependent of temperture for a particular gas,I think the answer should be "No change happens".But I wonder whether there is more insight to this.And is my assumption true?
You are correct.

I think that the insight is that one could think adding pressure will affect the motion of the gas particles, and hence their speed. (A higher pressure will affect the motion in some way. Can you see what it is?)

DrClaude said:
You are correct.

I think that the insight is that one could think adding pressure will affect the motion of the gas particles, and hence their speed. (A higher pressure will affect the motion in some way. Can you see what it is?)
So you are saying that a higher pressure will somehow affect the r.m.s speed?But I don't see how it happens right now.

phymath7 said:
So you are saying that a higher pressure will somehow affect the r.m.s speed?But I don't see how it happens right now.
If temperature is not forced to remain constant then consider how you go about increasing the pressure of the gas. Do you, for instance, force a piston further into a cylinder?

phymath7 said:
No, it doesn't affect r.m.s. speed, as you noted yourself. But it does affect something else related to the motion of the molecules.

phymath7 said:
Just apply the first law: ##\Delta U = Q+W## where W is the work done on the gas and Q is the heat flow into the gas.

A higher pressure without a change in volume (W=0) can only be achieved by increasing temperature (##\Delta U>0##) by positive heat flow (Q>0). Higher T means higher molecular rms speed (higher average molecular translational KE).

A higher pressure with compression requires positive work to be done on the gas (W>0). So if it is done adiabatically (Q=0) ##\Delta U>0## which results in higher molecular rms speed.

The only way to increase pressure without increasing molecular rms speed (##\Delta U \le 0##) is to compress with ##Q+W\le 0## (ie. heat flow out of the gas is greater than or equal to the work done on the gas).

AM

Last edited:

Related to Is RMS speed dependent on pressure?

1. What is RMS speed?

RMS speed, or root-mean-square speed, is a measure of the average speed of particles in a gas. It takes into account the velocities of all particles, including those moving in different directions.

2. How is RMS speed calculated?

RMS speed is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared velocities of all particles in a gas.

3. Is RMS speed dependent on temperature?

Yes, RMS speed is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. As temperature increases, the average speed of particles in a gas also increases.

4. Is RMS speed dependent on the type of gas?

Yes, RMS speed is dependent on the molar mass of the gas. Lighter gases have higher RMS speeds compared to heavier gases at the same temperature.

5. Is RMS speed dependent on pressure?

Yes, RMS speed is inversely proportional to pressure. As pressure increases, the average speed of particles in a gas decreases.