Is the Transformer Short Circuit Calculation Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the short circuit current at transformer terminals. The individual is seeking confirmation on their own calculated value using their intuition. They provide their calculation based on the formula for FLC and the definition of %Z. The conversation also mentions the simplification and rounding of values for the sake of understanding the general principle. A link to a website on power quality and drives is also provided as additional information.
fonz
Ok I've read a lot of articles and seen a lot of different ways of calculating the short circuit current at the transformer terminals.

So I'm going to apply my own intuition and see if I can arrive at the correct value if someone could please confirm my answer.

6.6kV/400V
3 Phase
10MVA
8%Z

By definition %Z is the % of Vp that causes FLC under short circuited conditions.

FLC = 10000000/(1.732*400) = 14434A

so 8% 6600V = 528V

6600/528 = 12.5

So 12.5*11434= 180kA

Is this correct? I know I've simplified it and rounded generously but I'm just trying to get the general principle down.

Thanks
Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org

FAQ: Is the Transformer Short Circuit Calculation Correct?

1. What is a transformer short circuit calculation?

A transformer short circuit calculation is a method used to determine the amount of current that will flow through a transformer in the event of a short circuit. This calculation is important in determining the appropriate size and rating of a transformer to ensure safe operation.

2. How is a transformer short circuit calculation performed?

A transformer short circuit calculation involves using the transformer's impedance, voltage, and current ratings to determine the maximum current that can flow through the transformer in the event of a short circuit. This calculation can be done manually using mathematical formulas or with the help of specialized software.

3. Why is a transformer short circuit calculation important?

A transformer short circuit calculation is important because it helps to ensure the safety and reliability of the transformer. By determining the maximum current that can flow through the transformer, engineers can select a transformer with the appropriate size and rating, preventing potential damage or failure.

4. What are some factors that can affect the results of a transformer short circuit calculation?

The results of a transformer short circuit calculation can be affected by various factors, such as the transformer's design, material properties, and operating conditions. Other factors include the source of the fault, the type of short circuit, and the location of the fault in the transformer.

5. How often should transformer short circuit calculations be performed?

Transformer short circuit calculations should be performed during the design phase of a transformer and whenever there are significant changes to the transformer's operating conditions. It is also recommended to periodically review and update these calculations to ensure the continued safe and reliable operation of the transformer.

Back