Is the Universe Empty? Exploring the Concept of Empty Space-Time

In summary: So, maybe space-time does require something within it in order to exist. In summary, it seems that the answer to this question is still up for debate.
David Brill
Does it make sense to think of our universe as a "container" of matter and energy? If so, is there some minimal content?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
David Brill said:
Does it make sense to think of our universe as a "container" of matter and energy?

It's hard to say until we have a clear definition of "container" (general principle: any time you find yourself using scare-quotes in a question, the question still isn't precise enough to have an answer).

Clearly the universe contains matter and energy, so maybe the answer is "yes". But you already knew that, so I don't think that's what you mean.

Hm ... a container usually can exist independently of its content, but I remember some quote from Einstein where he questioned that space time can exist independently from matter and energy.

David Brill said:
Does it make sense to think of our universe as a "container" of matter and energy? If so, is there some minimal content?
I always think of it as just a metric. Things have varying distances from each other and the measure of those distance is the metric of space. They change distances from each other and that is one way to formulate a metric of time. "Container" is just too loaded a word, as others have already pointed out.

Given the usual definition of the universe is all of existence, space and its contents are all a part of that same reality, so it makes little sense to assign a separate identity to either entity.

I would usually think of a container as being a material object which encloses other material objects.
(Well I guess it doesn't need to be strictly material, since there are things like magnetic confinement.)
However, there are by definition no objects or fields outside of the Universe, so therefore the contents of the universe cannot be said to be enclosed (or contained) by any such external object (or field).

Last edited:
I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “container”. Basically, I was just wondering if the universe could be empty. That is, could space-time exist without having anything in it?

After reading your replies, I get the impression that that’s not possible. One comment above says that Einstein questioned whether space-time could exist independently of matter and energy. Additionally, I couldn’t find much online except for a theory, the Milne Model, that has apparently been discredited.

Related to Is the Universe Empty? Exploring the Concept of Empty Space-Time

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is often depicted as a 4-dimensional grid or fabric that describes the physical universe.

2. Is spacetime a container?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some argue that spacetime is not a physical container, but rather a mathematical construct used to describe the relationships between objects in the universe. Others believe that spacetime can be thought of as a container, as it contains all matter and energy in the universe.

3. How does spacetime affect objects?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, objects with mass create curves in the fabric of spacetime. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the curvature of spacetime around it. This affects how objects move and interact with each other.

4. Can spacetime be manipulated?

As far as we know, spacetime cannot be directly manipulated. However, the effects of spacetime can be manipulated through the use of gravity and other forces. For example, we can manipulate the trajectory of a spacecraft by using the gravitational pull of planets.

5. What is the relationship between spacetime and gravity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that spacetime and gravity are intimately connected and cannot be separated from each other.

Back