Is there a perception of a prestige hierarchy among physicists?

In summary, there is no objective "prestige" hierarchy among physicists, as it largely depends on personal values and preferences. Some may perceive certain fields, such as string theory, as more prestigious, but this perception varies from person to person. Computational physics is not a separate field, but rather a tool utilized by various branches of physics. Ultimately, success in physics is measured by good science and experimental validation, rather than hierarchy or prestige.
Simfish
Gold Member
Is there a perception of a "prestige" hierarchy among physicists?

Just wondering. Are some fields (such as string theory) considered more prestigious than others? (like experimental condensed matter physics?) How does computational physics fit in the hierarchy?

Of course, it certainly does depend on the person, and every person is sort of different. Though I certainly know mathematicians who pretty much believe in that sort of prestige hierarchy in physics. On the other hand, I wonder if there are physicists who are very much against that type of (math=prestigious) thinking.

Physics news on Phys.org

Simfish said:
Just wondering. Are some fields (such as string theory) considered more prestigious than others? (like experimental condensed matter physics?) How does computational physics fit in the hierarchy?

Of course, it certainly does depend on the person, and every person is sort of different. Though I certainly know mathematicians who pretty much believe in that sort of prestige hierarchy in physics. On the other hand, I wonder if there are physicists who are very much against that type of (math=prestigious) thinking.

Prestige is a social standing. It probably depends on who you ask, but I doubt that anyone field is more "prestigious" than another in any objective sense. That is, I don't perceive any hierarchy about physics fields themselves; the hierarchy seems to exist more in the politics: who knows how to get funded and who doesn't. Or who works in a particular problem (in any field) that has a broad array of applications and is easily commercialized.

Computational physics isn't really a field. Many different fields of physics can depend on computational approaches. Computation is mostly just a tool. Most branches of physics utilize some kind of computational methods nowadays.

There is only good science and bad science. Some people prefer to study fundamental particle physics or fundamental condensed matter, others prefer to study applications of physical principles. That's a preference. Some are theorists and some are experimentalists. That's another preference.

I'd say the only type of "physics" that I personally look down upon is physics that doesn't even have experiment in mind. At the base, physics is an experimental science, and all tests of validity ultimately fall on experiment.

I don't really hear anyone talk about different fields being more prestigious. Hell, I've heard experimentalists say they couldn't hack it as a theorist while some theorists are aghast at the things experimentalists are capable of doing. When I heard the precision LIGO works at in order to detect gravitational waves, I thought it was some sort of act of God.

It all depends on each person's values. I am also impressed by large projects as LIGO, CERN, and the NIF. But on the other hand, I'm impressed with mathematicians who get to do incredible things with practically nothing but a pen and paper.

Of course, sometimes promising theories and projects don't go as planned, in which case success becomes questionable. Research is a game with ups and downs, no matter what the field. But each one has their load of success stories, otherwise you wouldn't hear about them. Like trends, music and fashion, perception of a field often depends on the decade. Like many physical phenomena, it oscillates over time.

My prestige hierarchy is as follows:

• Top: people who are working on what I am working on.
  • Middle: people who are working on what I used to work on.
  • Bottom: people who are working on things I never worked on.

I suspect many people have similar hierarchies.

FAQ: Is there a perception of a prestige hierarchy among physicists?

1. What is a prestige hierarchy among physicists?

A prestige hierarchy among physicists refers to the perceived ranking or status within the physics community. It is a social structure that exists based on factors such as reputation, accomplishments, and recognition within the scientific community.

2. How is the prestige hierarchy among physicists determined?

The prestige hierarchy among physicists is not a formal or objective measure, but rather a subjective perception based on factors such as publications, citations, awards, and collaborations. It is constantly evolving and can vary among different subfields and regions.

3. Is the prestige hierarchy among physicists beneficial or detrimental to the scientific community?

This is a debated topic, as some argue that a hierarchy can motivate scientists to work harder and strive for recognition, while others argue that it can lead to competition and hinder collaboration and progress. Ultimately, the impact of the prestige hierarchy depends on how it is perceived and utilized by individuals.

4. Is the prestige hierarchy among physicists a global phenomenon?

Yes, the prestige hierarchy among physicists is a global phenomenon. However, it may differ in intensity and structure across different countries and cultures. Some countries may place more emphasis on certain factors, such as publications or affiliations, while others may value different criteria.

5. Can the prestige hierarchy among physicists change over time?

Yes, the prestige hierarchy among physicists is not a fixed entity and can change over time. This can be influenced by various factors, such as new discoveries, shifts in scientific trends, and changes in the perception of certain individuals or institutions. It is important for the scientific community to continuously evaluate and question the impact of the prestige hierarchy.