Is there a washable magnetic fabric in existence?

It would be washable, and if the links were small enough, it would be flexible enough to use as a fabric.In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking information on a washable magnetic fabric for a potential business idea. They ask if anyone knows of such a material and if not, where they can find information. Someone suggests using a light chain mail made of steel or iron as a potential option.
NerdAtHeart
Hi, I'm not a materials scientist by any means, but I have a business idea that would involve the use of a washable magnetic fabric. Does anyone know of any such material? If not, does anyone know a good place I might look to find such information? I've tried googling, but I haven't found anything of substance (pun haha... you I'm that lame) yet. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NerdAtHeart said:
Hi, I'm not a materials scientist by any means, but I have a business idea that would involve the use of a washable magnetic fabric. Does anyone know of any such material? If not, does anyone know a good place I might look to find such information? I've tried googling, but I haven't found anything of substance (pun haha... you I'm that lame) yet. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

It would seem that a very light chain mail made of steel or iron would work...

FAQ: Is there a washable magnetic fabric in existence?

1. What is washable magnetic fabric?

Washable magnetic fabric is a type of fabric that has been treated with a special coating or infused with magnetic particles, allowing it to attract and hold onto metal objects.

2. How does washable magnetic fabric work?

The magnetic particles in the fabric create a magnetic field that attracts metal objects. When the fabric is washed, the particles are not affected and the fabric retains its magnetic properties.

3. Is washable magnetic fabric safe to use?

Yes, washable magnetic fabric is safe to use. The magnetic particles used in the fabric are typically very small and do not pose any health risks. However, it is always recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper handling and care.

4. Can washable magnetic fabric be used for clothing?

Yes, washable magnetic fabric can be used for clothing. It is often used in items like jackets, bags, or aprons to hold onto metal tools or objects. However, it is important to note that the magnetic particles may interfere with electronic devices, so it is not recommended to use it in clothing that is in close proximity to devices like pacemakers or cell phones.

5. How do I care for washable magnetic fabric?

Washable magnetic fabric can be cared for like any other fabric. It is safe to machine wash and dry, but it is recommended to use a gentle cycle and low heat settings to avoid damaging the magnetic particles. It is also important to avoid using fabric softeners, as they can weaken the magnetic properties of the fabric.