Is there an alternative method to solve this problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Casio1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the Force diagram represents a single piston cylinder rotating and producing 26NM of torque. Using the diagram, the force on the piston at 1mm before TDC can be calculated. Interestingly, I was not able to solve the problem using the data given, but by using trigonometry and the data, I was able to find the angles required to solve the problem. The length of the cylinder (I), the area of the cylinder (A), the swept volume of the cylinder (V), the clearance volume of the cylinder (C), the compression ratio of the cylinder (CR), and the compression pressure (P) can all be calculated.
Casio1
With reference to the Force Diagram, which represents a single piston cylinder rotating and producing 26NM of torque.

The technical data given is;

I = 70mm
r = 18mm
T = 26Nm
Theta = 17.13 degress
Phi = 4.34 degress

Using the diagram calculate the force on the piston Fp at 1mm before TDC.

Interestingly I can't solve this using the above data, but using trig in conjunction with the above I calculated the following angles;

Triangle OMC

M = 85.66 degress
O = 72.87 degrees
C = 21.47 degress

I worked it out like this;

PC = 18(sin 17.13) / (sin 4.34) = PM = I = 70.06 mm

The length (I) has now been proven.

Using the sine rule;

OM = 18(sin 21.47) / (sin 85.66) = 6.61

Force on piston Fp = 26 / 6.61 x 1000 = 3933 N

Once you follow it through you will see that I have not used much of the original data to solve the problem, but I am thinking there is an alternative method because I am to believe that the actual solution is

Fp = 3935 N

Although it is only two Newtons difference I could be using the wrong techniques?

Attachments

• Crank Angle Torque Diagram.png
    Crank Angle Torque Diagram.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 101
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Casio, :)

Casio said:
PC = 18(sin 17.13) / (sin 4.34) = PM = I = 70.06 mm

How did you equate PC and PM?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Building on that, did you have your calculator set to use degrees and not radians?

Sudharaka said:

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Hi Sudharaka:)

Thanks for replying to the thread, I have worked out a full solution now to the problem, so will post it soon.

Kind regards

Casio

Ackbach said:
Building on that, did you have your calculator set to use degrees and not radians?

Hi Ackbach,

I didn't adjust the calculator to radians as the unit measurements were given in degress, but I have solved it and will post full solution soon.

Kind regards

Casio

Sorry for not replying earlier:D

I have worked on the problem and this is what I have now calculated.

With reference to the force diagram, which should be drawn as a rectangle to find the angles required.

The length of OM is;

OM = r 18(sin21.47) / (sin 85.66) = 6.6072mm

The length of "I" is calculated as;

I = PC = 18(sin 17.13) / (sin 4.34) = 70.0594 mm

The length OP is calculated as;

OP = Sqrt PC^2 - OM^2 = 70.0594^2 - 6.6072^2 = Sqrt 4856 = 69.69mm

Length of OP = OC + OP = 18 + 69.69 = 87.69mm

Force Fp = (r x F x sin(158.53))

Fp = T / r (sin 158.53) = 26 / 6.5883 = 26K / 6.5883 = 3946.4N

The compoent force acting on the piston is calculated from;

Fc = cos 4.34 = (3946.4 x cos (4.34)) = 3935.1N

I have moved on from this now and also calculated other areas like;

Diameter of the cylinder, area of the cylinder, swept volume of the cylinder, clearance colume of the cylinder, compression ratio of the cylinder, and the compression pressure:)

Casio:cool:

Related to Is there an alternative method to solve this problem

1. What is the alternative method for solving this problem?

The alternative method for solving a problem refers to an approach that differs from the conventional or traditional method. It may involve a different set of procedures, tools, or techniques.

2. Why should I consider using an alternative method?

Using an alternative method can offer new perspectives and insights into a problem, leading to more effective and efficient solutions. It can also help in situations where the conventional method is not yielding desired results.

3. How do I determine if an alternative method is suitable for my problem?

Before considering an alternative method, it is essential to assess the nature of the problem, its complexity, and the resources available. This evaluation can help determine if an alternative method is feasible and appropriate for the specific problem.

4. Are there any risks associated with using an alternative method?

Like any other approach, using an alternative method also has its risks. It may require additional resources, time, or expertise. Therefore, it is crucial to weigh the potential risks and benefits before implementing an alternative method.

5. Can an alternative method be combined with the conventional method?

Absolutely! In fact, using a combination of methods can often lead to more robust and comprehensive solutions. It is essential to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each method and determine how they can complement each other to solve the problem effectively.