Is Your GE Fridge Cooling Unevenly?

erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have a GE refrigerator( side by side ) about 11 years old now. I noticed warm milk yesterday. The set points for the freezer/fridge are 0 F and 37F respectively, and the actual temps are -7F and 55F. It seems like the freezer is running constantly, and the fridge side can get a word in endwise.

Condenser and fan are all reasonably clean.

Has anyone encountered this issue before in general? It seems like a malfunctioning control board to me, just asking for other thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the fan moving air in the fridge compartment?
The usual ways to fail are ice blockage and broken plastic impeller.

Lnewqban said:
Is the fan moving air in the fridge compartment?
The usual ways to fail are ice blockage and broken plastic impeller.
Actually I examined it a bit further just now. The fan is in the freezer compartment and is running, turns out there is nothing but gate valve ( I think ...) between the compartments, when I pulled the cover off, the valve opened. It seem to have been stuck closed somehow, perhaps ice buildup.

This seems consistent with observation of a lower actual temp in the freezer, and higher temp in the fridge. The fridge side must have been continually calling for cold air but was unable to receive it due to the closed gate.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman, Klystron and 1 other person
Our 20+ year old Amana did this a couple of years ago. In our case it was the defrost thermostat that had failed. The lack of a defrost cycle meant that eventually ice clogged the air path leading to the refrigerator.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur, erobz and Lnewqban
JT Smith said:
The lack of a defrost cycle meant that eventually ice clogged the air path leading to the refrigerator.
I had a fridge freezer which went really silly; woudn't defrost and chill cabinet was hot. It was ice clogging the internal matrix (the frost free system never cleared between cycles). I thought 'ahah - gotcha' but, even after melting all ice and draining out, it reverted to the same problem. I eventually contacted a guy in UK White goods and they also have a brilliant forum. The opinion was that I needed to replace both thermistors on the circuit board. I did that and it worked for years after.

My mother in law's fr frz used to clog up regularly but a 'deep defrost' solved the problem. I now suspect it was to do with poor air circulation at the rear. Those poor heat exchangers at the back can easily overheat if there's not enough space between the back of the unit and the wall. They are often supplied with spacers to keep them off the wall but they are easily knocked off.

Likes erobz
Back