Isotropic distribution for a surface source MCNP

• Thread starter angfells
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp Mcnp6
angfells
Hello everyone!
I have to use isotropic distribution for my mcnp program. But I didn't find how can I create that one.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it have to be a surface source? With a cell source, for example a point source, isotropic is the default.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Alex A said:
Does it have to be a surface source? With a cell source, for example a point source, isotropic is the default.
Yes, it has to be a surface..

What is the shape of the surface and can the source be a degenerate volume source?

That would be a surface but it has the advantages of not using a geometric surface and so the result is isotropic.

Alex A said:
What is the shape of the surface and can the source be a degenerate volume source?

That would be a surface but it has the advantages of not using a geometric surface and so the result is isotropic.
This is the surface of the cube, that is, one side of it.
I tried to make a cell source of it, but i don't understant how to do it correctly. For the cell source I need to write from which cell neutron flux starts and add some distributions of the cell, if I correctly understand. But I also have energy distribution "erg=d4". When I write distributions si1=-12 11, si2=-10 10, si3=-10 10 for x y z coordinates and sp1=-2 for energy I have some fatal errors.

I just now tried to use a degenerate cartesian volumetric source and immediately checked at the angles of the departure of the particles whether it is isotropic, and it seems that everything worked.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-08-15 125316.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-08-15 125316.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Related to Isotropic distribution for a surface source MCNP

What is an isotropic distribution in the context of a surface source in MCNP?

An isotropic distribution refers to a scenario where particles are emitted uniformly in all directions from a surface source. This means that the probability of particle emission is the same regardless of the direction, ensuring a uniform distribution over a 4π solid angle.

How do I define a surface source with isotropic emission in MCNP?

To define a surface source with isotropic emission in MCNP, you need to use the SDEF card to specify the source parameters. You will typically set the SUR (surface) parameter to the surface number and use the VEC and DIR parameters to ensure isotropic emission. For example, you might use something like SDEF SUR=n VEC=0 0 1 DIR=d1, where d1 specifies isotropic direction.

What are common issues when setting up an isotropic surface source in MCNP?

Common issues include incorrectly specifying the surface number, not properly defining the direction vectors, and misunderstanding the coordinate system. Ensuring that the surface is correctly defined in your geometry and that the emission directions are truly isotropic are crucial steps to avoid these issues.

How can I verify that my surface source is isotropic in MCNP simulations?

To verify that your surface source is isotropic, you can use tally cards to measure the angular distribution of emitted particles. For example, using an F2 tally (surface flux) or an F5 tally (point detector) can help you check if the particle distribution is uniform in all directions. Analyzing the tally results should show a consistent distribution if the source is isotropic.

Can I use an isotropic surface source for any type of particle in MCNP?

Yes, you can use an isotropic surface source for any type of particle in MCNP, including neutrons, photons, electrons, and others. The isotropic nature of the source depends on the directionality of the emission rather than the type of particle, so the same principles apply regardless of the particle type.