Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
I have had a sore throat and am introduced to take some pieces of preserved lemons after mashed to get their juices in my glass half-filled with some soda water. I served myself with ice and some fresh lemon juice also. It's Very tasty indeed!
Here is the simple recipe to make lemon pickle from scratch! I'm loving it and hope you do too. Enjoy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pepper Mint said:
I have had a sore throat and am introduced to take some pieces of preserved lemons after mashed to get their juices in my glass half-filled with some soda water. I served myself with ice and some fresh lemon juice also. It's Very tasty indeed!
Here is the simple recipe to make lemon pickle from scratch! I'm loving it and hope you do too. Enjoy!
Yeah, lemons are good for sore throat. Maybe I'll try the salty recipe some day, it can be interesting.
I love the taste and smell of my healing tea. I make it from thyme (for bronchi), salvia (for sore throat) or lime tree (for flu). I always use whole leaves or flowers from the pharmacy, never supermarket teabags.
After it cools down below 40C (in order not to destroy vitamins) I add fresh lemon juice and honey. I just love the smell, especially the thyme! It's so comforting and makes me feel cozy. I only found the translation "thyme", but we have the word "tymian" in my language, which is a different plant than the one in talking about. So I'm not sure about the translation.

Likes Pepper Mint
Sophia said:
I only found the translation "thyme", but we have the word "tymian" in my language, which is a different plant than the one in talking about. So I'm not sure about the translation.

Is it the plant of this wiki page? https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymián_obecný
Then according to wikipedia it is in fact thyme (change language to find out)

Likes Sophia
JorisL said:
Is it the plant of this wiki page? https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymián_obecný
Then according to wikipedia it is in fact thyme (change language to find out)
It looks like they are from the same Thymus family which according to wiki contains 40-400 species (opinions vary). The species that is used for cooking is probably thymus vulgaris, while thymus serpillum is used for tea.

Likes Pepper Mint
I like all types of herbal tea, for example, this ginger tea . I will probably use mandarin orange 's cover cut in small pieces instead of lime or lemon slices. It's varying depending on where you live and what you prefer, yet I recommend it though. :biggrin:

Pepper Mint said:
I like all types of herbal tea, for example, this ginger tea . I will probably use mandarin orange 's cover cut in small pieces instead of lime or lemon slices. It's varying depending on where you live and what you prefer, yet I recommend it though. [emoji3]
Yes, ginger is great, too. I like your idea to use mandarine instead of lemon.

Likes Pepper Mint
Recipe of the Month: The Jailhouse Burrito

Ingredients:

1 Cup hot water
1 Package ramen noodles
1 Single serving size bag of Doritos (1 oz.)
1 Beef stick (Optional)
Hand towel or local alt-weekly newspaper

Directions:
First, pulverize the chips inside of the bag into an almost powder-like consistency. The bag itself will act as the burrito’s domain to cook in, so be sure to crush with care.

Next, execute the same amount of manhandling with the ramen. An insider’s favorite way to get this done is to release a small amount of aggression by chucking the package against a wall or inanimate object. Or animate, whichever. Again, the noodles should be well crushed and mangled appropriately.

Dump the beaten noodles and its seasoning into the chip bag and mix well. If you want to add a chopped-up beef stick for added protein, do so now and mix in with the other ingredients.

When it’s all good and mixed, pour hot water into the bag just enough to cover everything.
Warning: Add too much and the recipe turns into a poor man’s soup. Add too little and you’ve got nothing but a delicious mess.

The bag will obviously be hot. Just deal with it, because now you need to fold the bag over to create an airtight pocket. Notice the accompanying burrito shape it makes? It’s all coming together. S’up, Rachael Ray?

Now, wrap the b’ito tight inside of a towel or local alt-weekly newspaper. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes.

Dump out and dish up. Delicious.

Calorie Count
Calories: 330 (470 with beef)
Total Fat: 16g (27g with beef)
Protein: 7g (13g with beef)
Sodium: 830mg (1,310mg with beef)

I finally convinced my mum to let me prepare Goulash!
Tomorrow they'll learn how fantastic it is, I'll use one of two bell peppers I've grown this year. I'll share the recipe when they approved of the flavour.

Tacos al pastor.
Mexico city.

JorisL said:
I finally convinced my mum to let me prepare Goulash!
Tomorrow they'll learn how fantastic it is, I'll use one of two bell peppers I've grown this year. I'll share the recipe when they approved of the flavour.

How was your goulash? Can you share the recipe?
Mmm...I want a cauldron goulash cooked outside on fire...spicy... oh, this thread makes me hungry!

c_148735_1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken I based it of this recipe http://www.nutrientsyoufools.com/hungarian-paprika-fishermans-stew-halaszle/

JorisL said:
If I'm not mistaken I based it of this recipe http://www.nutrientsyoufools.com/hungarian-paprika-fishermans-stew-halaszle/

That sounds good. Was it a success?

The last time less so because scaling it up turned out nontrivial.
The beer was overwhelming when just doubling everything.

JorisL said:
The beer was overwhelming when just doubling everything.

Maybe because there's wine in the original recipe? :)

It's loosely based on that one, the real source was a youtube video but the entire channel has vanished :-(

I would call the linked recipe fish goulash while I made beef goulash

Vivian Howard, the Chef of "Chef and the Farmer Restaurant" and also the start of "A Chef's Life" on PBS here in the US, is making her rounds for her book publicity. She will be in Naperville, a suburb of Chicago, this evening at a bookstore.

I will be attending, and bought tickets to this. So I'll be getting some meet-and-greet and a book signing. I was at her restaurant about 2 years ago, and had a great time. In fact, we are planning on going back there again in late April next year when we visit relatives in N. Carolina.

BTW, her book "Deep Run Roots" is excellent! It is more than cookbook. It tells a story and the place of the food of Eastern North Carolina that has been neglected, till now. If you like the TV series, you'll love the book.

Zz.

Had a great time at the Vivian Howard book signing party tonight. She was as real and as genuine as what you saw on TV. I wore my "Chef and the Farmer" t-shirt while waiting in line, and people wanted to know how the restaurant was and how the food was. I guess not a lot of people from this part of the country have been to her place out in Eastern N. Carolina.

Her husband, Ben Knight, was serving dessert, a chewy pecan bar, which is a recipe from her book. It was delicious, and I'm determine to make this one some time soon.

We told her that we have plans to go back to her restaurant in late April next year. Not sure if she'll be there now that she is no longer actively running the restaurant day in and day out, but we're still looking forward to trying the food and the ingredients at that time of the year.

Zz.

Likes Borg and Sophia
Hey, what are you guys eating for NY's eve/NY?

I'm having people over for NY's eve this evening, and instead of the usual party/dinner stuff, I decided to go Asian. It is traditional to serve noodles for New Year in Asian/Chinese culture, so I'm making my own homemade Southeast Asian Noodle soup with chicken. This has a remote resemblance to the Vietnames Pho where it rice noodles served with a flavorful, clear broth.

Of course, I have to make the broth myself since that is the most important component of the dish. I bought a whole hen (not a chicken), and since 9 am this morning, I've been simmering it in a huge pot to make the broth. I added 4 cinnamon sticks, 8 star anise, 2 onions, one whole head garlic, pepper corns, whole cardamoms, several thick slices of ginger, and a few bay leaves.
01b4389dd22af5a1598061f8326a32e5fa9c4d1aa3.jpg

It has been simmering for 2 hours, and I'm going to let it go for another hour. If this was your ordinary supermarket chicken, it would be mush by the time I'm done.

The whole house smells of fragrant spices and rich broth... yum!

I'll post more as I progress along with this, and hopefully show you the final product when I serve it this evening.

Zz.

Likes cnh1995 and StatGuy2000
ZapperZ said:
Hey, what are you guys eating for NY's eve/NY?

I'm having people over for NY's eve this evening, and instead of the usual party/dinner stuff, I decided to go Asian. It is traditional to serve noodles for New Year in Asian/Chinese culture, so I'm making my own homemade Southeast Asian Noodle soup with chicken. This has a remote resemblance to the Vietnames Pho where it rice noodles served with a flavorful, clear broth.

Of course, I have to make the broth myself since that is the most important component of the dish. I bought a whole hen (not a chicken), and since 9 am this morning, I've been simmering it in a huge pot to make the broth. I added 4 cinnamon sticks, 8 star anise, 2 onions, one whole head garlic, pepper corns, whole cardamoms, several thick slices of ginger, and a few bay leaves.
View attachment 110949
It has been simmering for 2 hours, and I'm going to let it go for another hour. If this was your ordinary supermarket chicken, it would be mush by the time I'm done.

The whole house smells of fragrant spices and rich broth... yum!

I'll post more as I progress along with this, and hopefully show you the final product when I serve it this evening.

Zz.
Oh Zz, that looks delicious!

Likes cnh1995
Evo said:
Oh Zz, that looks delicious!

Thanks! Glad to report that it was delicious, and the dinner went very well.

This is what the broth looks like at the end. I veered out of the "traditional" broth for the noodles because I added veggies, since I like lots of veggies with my Asian noodle soup. I added Napa cabbage and Swiss chard.
018f2bef30bfacd9c81f3ac764d833b33c4b80c240.jpg

The hen has been take out and the meat shredded.

People who know of the Vietnames Pho will know that there are accompaniments with the noodle dish that you can add to your hot steaming bowl of noodles. No different here. Here are the accoutrements that I laid out to garnish the noodle soup: lime wedges, bean sprouts, green onions, Vietnamese basil leaves, caramelized shallots, and Serrano chilli peppers that have been macerating in soy sauce.
01e3bcec0c476bb324747cb40222f3c5c1bde43bd6.jpg

Here are all the ingredients laid out on the table to build your own bowl of S.E. Asian chicken noodle soup.
015c6f3dab7873a2896d9d3b2299c47ebaf2d8465c.jpg

Here's my first bowl... I'm not ashamed to admit that I had 3 helpings (hey, they were small bowls!).
01259e4fa3458a9cf7d3d5b80c7a41ab4ee6ed9472.jpg

I think everyone liked it a lot, especially the broth, which was the main ingredient here. That was why I went out of my way to make sure this was done properly. Life is too short to eat bad broth!

:)

Zz.

Likes jim mcnamara, cnh1995, OmCheeto and 2 others
ZapperZ said:
Life is too short to eat bad broth!
Words to live by. :oldsmile:

ZapperZ said:
Thanks! Glad to report that it was delicious, and the dinner went very well.

This is what the broth looks like at the end. I veered out of the "traditional" broth for the noodles because I added veggies, since I like lots of veggies with my Asian noodle soup. I added Napa cabbage and Swiss chard.
View attachment 110975

The hen has been take out and the meat shredded.

People who know of the Vietnames Pho will know that there are accompaniments with the noodle dish that you can add to your hot steaming bowl of noodles. No different here. Here are the accoutrements that I laid out to garnish the noodle soup: lime wedges, bean sprouts, green onions, Vietnamese basil leaves, caramelized shallots, and Serrano chilli peppers that have been macerating in soy sauce.
View attachment 110976

Here are all the ingredients laid out on the table to build your own bowl of S.E. Asian chicken noodle soup.
View attachment 110977

Here's my first bowl... I'm not ashamed to admit that I had 3 helpings (hey, they were small bowls!).
View attachment 110978

I think everyone liked it a lot, especially the broth, which was the main ingredient here. That was why I went out of my way to make sure this was done properly. Life is too short to eat bad broth!

:)

Zz.
OH YUMMMMMMM! Zz you should start a food blog!

Evo said:
OH YUMMMMMMM! Zz you should start a food blog!

Yeah, maybe I'll call it "Oh No, Not Another Food Blog!"

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Yeah, maybe I'll call it "Oh No, Not Another Food Blog!"

Zz.
I've heard of people making $500,000 a year on youtube!

I can contribute to the "What not to do" portion of the video blog.

I can contribute a rant. This is a kitchen gadget, so I think it is appropriate for this thread.

I found this last week, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy this. This is a "grater".
01ef1de8a26320f9dc676da0ef29af9f8f8dd84f93.jpg

The thing is about a foot long.

Now really, think of how this is going to be used. Let's say you want to make slices of potatoes. How exactly do you go about using the slicer that is in the middle of this? You start at the top and drag the potato down. Sure, you'll get your sliced potatoes, but you'll also get shredded potatoes and grated potatoes as a bonus in one single stroke! You can't use just one of the features on this grater without bumping into another.

Who thought that this is a good idea? I often wonder if many of the kitchen gadgets were invented and designed by people who never cook. And worse still, did they actually test this out with actual home cooks that are their target consumers?

I don't know of any "good cook" who would buy this.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I can contribute a rant. This is a kitchen gadget, so I think it is appropriate for this thread.

I found this last week, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to buy this. This is a "grater".
View attachment 111007

The thing is about a foot long.

Now really, think of how this is going to be used. Let's say you want to make slices of potatoes. How exactly do you go about using the slicer that is in the middle of this? You start at the top and drag the potato down. Sure, you'll get your sliced potatoes, but you'll also get shredded potatoes and grated potatoes as a bonus in one single stroke! You can't use just one of the features on this grater without bumping into another.

Who thought that this is a good idea? I often wonder if many of the kitchen gadgets were invented and designed by people who never cook. And worse still, did they actually test this out with actual home cooks that are their target consumers?

I don't know of any "good cook" who would buy this.

Zz.

It's intentional. They're trying to make America grate again.

Likes jim mcnamara
ZapperZ said:
Let's say you want to make slices of potatoes. How exactly do you go about using the slicer that is in the middle of this?
Invert it, maybe.
Or use the other side?

NascentOxygen said:
Invert it, maybe.
Or use the other side?

The other side? Have you tried using a grater on the reverse side? The cutting edge is only one one side.

If you invert it, since the cutting edge is on the "lower lip" of the opening, then the sharp edge won't be scraping against the object you are trying to slice. It won't work.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The other side? Have you tried using a grater on the reverse side? The cutting edge is only one one side.
I have one. I tried it. It works.

It's exactly the same as yours, with possibly one slight difference. Mine has the cutting edge of the slicer protrouding out of the smooth side so that is how it's used. :oldtongue:

NascentOxygen said:
I have one. I tried it. It works.

It's exactly the same as yours, with possibly one slight difference. Mine has the cutting edge of the slicer protrouding out of the smooth side so that is how it's used. :oldtongue:
Yes, some have the grater on one side, the slicer on the other.

Likes NascentOxygen
Did you know that at the Texas State Fair, you can eat(?) fried beer? (only if you're over 21, of course)

Deep-fried beer invented in Texas (The Telegraph)

I actually found out about it just now while watching a Texas-oriented travel TV series, The Daytripper, on PBS. Tonight's episode was about the Texas State Fair, with a good portion devoted to all the different kinds of fried food you can eat there.

Turkey is read to go in for Thanksgiving Dinner. I rubbed it with a compound butter flavored with rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
IMG_5948.JPG

I rubbed the butter in between the skin and the flesh and then rubbed it all over the bird. It is in the oven now.

I'm sure the bird will file sexual abuse charges against me after this.

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_5948.JPG
    IMG_5948.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 280
Likes Evo, OmCheeto and Nidum
How is the famous US deep fried chicken actually prepared ?

@Nidum
Commercially prepared deep fried chicken is often done in a pressure cooker to speed up cooking time, a regular home open deep fryer works well.
Open fryers are set to 350 °F. At high elevation, deep-fried foods can overbrown on the outside but remain underdone inside. Approximation: lower the temperature of the oil about 3°F for every 300m in elevation above sea level. Beware of smoke points of some fats/oils e.g., flaxseed oil.

Dredge cut up chicken in flour mixture: flour, salt, optional spices: sage, summer savory, thyme
Heat oil first to temp, then add chicken carefully. Remove when medium brown.

https://www.thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

Likes Nidum and Bystander
jim mcnamara said:
At high elevation, deep-fried foods can overbrown on the outside but remain underdone inside. Approximation: lower the temperature of the oil about 3°F for every 300m in elevation above sea level.
I'll make a note of that --- thank you.