Japan Earthquake: Nuclear Plants at Fukushima Daiichi

In summary: RCIC consists of a series of pumps, valves, and manifolds that allow coolant to be circulated around the reactor pressure vessel in the event of a loss of the main feedwater supply.In summary, the earthquake and tsunami may have caused a loss of coolant at the Fukushima Daiichi NPP, which could lead to a meltdown. The system for cooling the reactor core is designed to kick in in the event of a loss of feedwater, and fortunately this appears not to have happened yet.
  • #1,401
shadowncs said:
When I read that first (some Russian professor's suggestion if I remember) I thought gee, that's an out of the box idea. The problem I see (and I'm not an expert) are how do u cool the molten tin? In Chernobyl it would act as a heat sink to the huge concrete building, I guess. But here - the RPV is isolated. Where would that heat go?
As someone suggested here, Chernobyl was probably an easier problem to solve once it burned down. Hell, the core was all over so a more dissipated source of heat than a BWR.

Now if the RPV would be breached & core was on concrete I would see value in such an idea: drop tin in the containment to dissipate the heat. Let's all hope it won't be the case here...

Edit: after reading Fred's quote, it makes some sense. Tin is the heat sink from fuel to RPV, then water cools that.

Could you fill the RPV with LM and let the heat transfer to the flooded containment through the RPV wall? I don't know.. is there a heat exchanger in the RPV for say steam to the turbine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #1,402
|Fred said:
Why is it that in case of a shut down they bypass the turbine and route the steam directly to the condenser ?

Faster steam (heat) removal from the reactor and cooling of the steam. Extract steam is still used to run HPSI and LPSI, if needed. Plus if loose particles are considered (you never immediately know what caused a shut down) you would want to protect the next costly item in the plant and the item that gets the plant income.

• #1,403
|Fred said:
Latest SEA Water analysis (unfortunately only available in Japanese at the time...) Source Nisa
http://k.min.us/ijHnOk.jpg

edited with English version from tepco http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11032603-e.html
[PLAIN]http://k.min.us/ijHpSg.jpg

@AntonL
Sewage pipes does not mean SFP but pipes linking the core to the turbine
Why do Tepco use E-notation to express these numbers? They are nonsensical to the vast majority. Why not say 50,000 bec/litre of Iodine-131 for example? (per IAEA 26th March)

Can somebody please explain their way of expressing numbers? I understand normalised scientific notation, e.g. 5x10^4

Edit: Tepco are discussing cubic centimeters, IAEA litres: 1000/1 difference

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,404
britinjapan said:
Apologies - I meant 0.30 micro sieverts per hour. That is the current level of radiation in Tokyo at the upper level of private measurers. The officlai levels seem around half that.

The following is micrograys per hour over the past few weeks

http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/emergency/monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/monitoring/past_data.html

Thanks
I'm 63. Because of two tumors I have had three CAT scans in the past two years. I do not even know what the dose rate if for a CAT scan, but I am willing to bet that I have received a lot more radiation from those CAT scans than you will be exposed to in Tokyo in the next year. I am still alive and the tumors are benign. I have a theory that a little radiation is good for you as it gives your body something to do.

• #1,405
shadowncs said:
When I read that first (some Russian professor's suggestion if I remember) I thought gee, that's an out of the box idea. The problem I see (and I'm not an expert) are how do u cool the molten tin? In Chernobyl it would act as a heat sink to the huge concrete building, I guess. But here - the RPV is isolated. Where would that heat go?
As someone suggested here, Chernobyl was probably an easier problem to solve once it burned down. Hell, the core was all over so a more dissipated source of heat than a BWR.

Now if the RPV would be breached & core was on concrete I would see value in such an idea: drop tin in the containment to dissipate the heat. Let's all hope it won't be the case here...

Edit: after reading Fred's quote, it makes some sense. Tin is the heat sink from fuel to RPV, then water cools that.

Any thoughts about using Liquid Gallium for the Spent Pool cooling. Gallium melts at ~29.76C (85.57F) and boiling point at 2204C/3999F.

I think you could easily add a heat exchanger to the spent pool.

Last edited:
  • #1,406
Joe Neubarth said:
I'm 63. Because of two tumors I have had three CAT scans in the past two years. I do not even know what the dose rate if for a CAT scan, but I am willing to bet that I have received a lot more radiation from those CAT scans than you will be exposed to in Tokyo in the next year. I am still alive and the tumors are benign. I have a theory that a little radiation is good for you as it gives your body something to do.

Thanks for that! All the best on your health Sir!

I imagine though that external and internal (ingested) radiation is a little different - so I`m avoiding drinking water for the moment...cheers (good reason to drink beer!)

• #1,407
Just thought, re. my last post on E notation - does E equal 10 ?

• #1,408
Cheers Joe, sounds like you've had a good old dose of gamma there - gives you superpowers in the end ;)

• #1,409
I've heard the mention of Cs-137, but there is normally Cs-134. I'm not sure why it is not included. I have also heard that some radioiodine is in the water. Children should not drink water with radionuclides present.
The amount of Cs-137 and Cs-134 is predictable by the fission yield curves. In this situation where we have fresh fission products the ratio should be constant. see this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fission_product"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,410
Bodge said:
Just thought, re. my last post on E notation - does E equal 10 ?
Yes E is used instead of 10^. It's quite common, especially to those who are familiar with Fortran.

• #1,411
britinjapan said:
Thanks for that! All the best on your health Sir!

I imagine though that external and internal (ingested) radiation is a little different - so I`m avoiding drinking water for the moment...cheers (good reason to drink beer!)

Indeed! Japan has some darn good beers. They rival some of the best beers in the world.

• #1,412
Please can somebody tell me the theoretical decay heat remaining in reactors 1-3, assuming all all fuel remains within the RPV?

Also, what are the consequences of the fact that the fuel from reactor 4 was only transferred to the spent fuel pool in December?

What levels of Pu-239 will be in play in each reactor and SPF? Will this effect chances for fission (I've been thinking about the "13 neutron rays" {sic} observed by Tepco).

To those who understand all these questions and more, the situation at Fukushima must be clear.. if data has been reliable..

I understand fortran notation now, but am confident in saying that will be the limit of my understanding of fortran!

• #1,413
news coming in KYODO News

NEWS ADVISORY: Radioactive iodine 1,850 times limit in sea near plant, up from Fri.
11:31 27 March
NEWS ADVISORY: Pool of water at No.2 reactor may be from reactor core: safety agency
11:29 27 March
NEWS ADVISORY: Pool of water at Fukushima's No.2 reactor contains high radioactivity

NHK TV reports 10,000,000 million times as in normal reactorNEWS ADVISORY: Over 1,000 millisieverts per hour found in water at No.2 reactor
12:00 27 March

Last edited:
  • #1,414
AntonL said:
news coming in KYODO News

NEWS ADVISORY: ...

NEWS ADVISORY: Over 1,000 millisieverts per hour found in water at No.2 reactor

So why don't they just say One Sievert per hour? In one hour you can get very sick. In four hours, half of the people thus exposed would be dead.

Those three workers received between two to six sieverts to their legs. I doubt that they will be able to keep their legs, but the estimate could be way off.

• #1,415
Could someone please clarify the specific isotope(s) responsible for the beta emissions coming from h20 in the plant? Understanding the beta energy (ie, .5 mev vs 10 mev) is crucial to calculating actual exposures to skin and at depth (≅ 1cm) for those whose feet were exposed.

The puddle was later measured at 400 mSv per hour, presumably mixed gamma/beta but unverified.

• #1,416
AntonL said:
NEWS ADVISORY: Over 1,000 millisieverts per hour found in water at No.2 reactor

and here is the analysis

attachment.php?attachmentid=33592&stc=1&d=1301197946.gif

Attachments

• water.gif
    water.gif
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,469
  • #1,417
AntonL said:
and here is the analysis

Anyone else concerned about the large quantities of Barium nuclides in 2 and 3? Seems like a lot of that should be gone. Granted, it's only a little over one half life, but still a sizable amount. The Tc-99m is concerning also...

Edit: for the Barium, I was thinking we should be seeing more La-140, but I supposed it could have decayed to Cerium, which isn't shown...
But the Tc-99m is still concerning. Especially without any translation of Molybdenum values (which I am assuming at this point is low enough to not be in consideration...)

Last edited:
  • #1,418
Assuming these levels remain persistently high, at some point the continuity in this effort will be severely disrupted. Fukushima engineers will start dropping out fast.

• #1,419
KateB said:
Anyone else concerned about the large quantities of Barium nuclides in 2 and 3? Seems like a lot of that should be gone. Granted, it's only a little over one half life, but still a sizable amount. The Tc-99m is concerning also...
I was just about to ask about the short lived isotopes. What kind of half lives are we talking about?

• #1,420
M. Bachmeier said:
I was just about to ask about the short lived isotopes. What kind of half lives are we talking about?

Ba-140 12.8 days -> La-140 1.6 days -> Ce 140

Tc-99m 6 hours -> Ru-99
Tc-99m only occurs as a product of fission of Uranium, one way or another, as far as I know.

Edit: NOT an expert. Just a student.

• #1,421
KateB said:
Ba-140 12.8 days -> La-140 1.6 days -> Ce 140

Tc-99m 6 hours -> Ru-99
Tc-99m only occurs as a product of fission of Uranium, one way or another, as far as I know.

(EDIT)*** Uncertain of facts concerning possible fission products re: #3 ***
Isn't that the second indication of a fission product, the first being associated with #3? Are these guys pushing the water too fast?

Last edited:
  • #1,422
Another thought is, how are they going to be able to fix a leak with radiation levels that high?

• #1,423
M. Bachmeier said:
Isn't that the second indication of a fission product, the first being associated with #3? Are these guys pushing the water too fast?

I am not sure that the rate is all that important, just that it is there at all, but I am not an expert. My reasoning is that it is because it means the control rods are useless if fission is happening, which it might well not be, and water present would just act like a neutron moderator more so than a coolant. My unprofessional opinion is that heavily borated water should be pushed, if it hasn't been already. And thankfully they have fresh water, as who knows what radioactive isotopes could be/possibly were induced with all the elements present in sea water...

Edit: I think what you are referring to are the CL-38 isotopes that were found, which **may** indicate fission, but it isn't clear whether that is an error or not.

• #1,425
Incredibly worrying translation posted on Greenpeace Japan's twitter from a very recent TEPCO press-conference:

""We don't have equipment to measure plutonium, so we are thinking of asking experts." (TEPCO on presser, 12:31 local time)"

The "presser" was a determined journalist asking about what is in the water pools in buildings.

Also, I think Reactor 2 is now confirmed RPV breach due to levels of Cs-134 measured outside of core.

Last edited:
  • #1,427
intric8 said:
Assuming these levels remain persistently high, at some point the continuity in this effort will be severely disrupted. Fukushima engineers will start dropping out fast.

The problem for disaster management is that at doses over 1Sv, congnitive function declines.

• #1,430
Why would 'special equipment' be needed to detect Plutonium isotopes??

unconfirmed translation from twitter: Tepco may have just stated that the device they need is at Daiini

Last edited:
  • #1,431
Bodge said:
Why would 'special equipment' be needed to detect Plutonium isotopes??

Tepco may have just stated that the device they need is at Daiini
I wonder if they're talking about detection in air?

• #1,432
AntonL said:
by a fusion of middle age and new technology

lead plated body armour and robotic muscle suits

exoskeleton-collage-825x533-300x193.jpg

They will probably use high pressure grout and remote application. Same way they do geothermal wells to shut them off.

Last edited:
  • #1,433
M. Bachmeier said:
I wonder if they're talking about detection in air?

It is ridiculous for them to say they haven't checked yet. IMO

• #1,434
M. Bachmeier said:
(EDIT)*** Uncertain of facts concerning possible fission products re: #3 ***

Ha! Oops, silly me, I was still zeroed in on the possibility of fission and interpreted your question as being in regards to it; I guess I should have supposed that the integrity of the system under that kind of water load may be just as important.

• #1,435
AntonL said:
and here is the analysis

these releases are coincident with the injection of fresh water, which can accommodate more solutes

ps: 2.9 trillion becquerels I-134 per liter!