Java and proxy authentication on xp

• Java
  • Thread starter DrDu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the conversation discusses using Jabref to connect to the internet from a Windows XP computer through a proxy that requires authentication. The individual has tried passing the IP address and port to Java but was unable to authenticate. They are seeking ideas and have provided a link and potential solutions they have tried.
DrDu
Science Advisor
I would like to use Jabref to connect to internet from a windows xp computer.
However, I have to access interent through a proxy which requires authentication.
Although I can pass the ip address and port to java, I didn't find a way to
authenticate. Any ideas?

Thank's
DrDu

Technology news on Phys.org
DrDu said:
I would like to use Jabref to connect to internet from a windows xp computer.
However, I have to access interent through a proxy which requires authentication.
Although I can pass the ip address and port to java, I didn't find a way to
authenticate. Any ideas?

Thank's
DrDu

Have you tried everything here? - http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/jw-javatip42.html"

I've only had to set the items below but, my user name and password is probably passed when I connect to my corporate network. I have also seen cases where I had to configure the proxy in IE so that XP would find it.

System.getProperties().put("proxySet", "true");
System.getProperties().put("proxyPort", "80");
System.getProperties().put("proxyHost", "<Your proxy host address>");

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Java and proxy authentication on xp

1. What is Java?

Java is a high-level, object-oriented programming language that is popular for building web applications, mobile applications, and enterprise software. It was first released in 1995 and is still widely used today.

2. How does proxy authentication work in Java?

In Java, proxy authentication refers to the process of providing credentials (such as a username and password) to a proxy server in order to access the internet. This is necessary when the user is behind a proxy server that requires authentication before allowing access to the internet.

3. Can Java handle proxy authentication on Windows XP?

Yes, Java can handle proxy authentication on Windows XP. However, the specific steps may vary depending on the version of Java and the proxy server being used. It is recommended to consult the Java documentation or the proxy server's documentation for specific instructions.

4. What are the benefits of using a proxy server in Java applications?

Using a proxy server in Java applications can provide several benefits, such as improving security by filtering out malicious traffic, reducing network traffic and improving performance by caching frequently accessed resources, and providing a centralized point for managing internet access.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using proxy authentication in Java?

One potential drawback of using proxy authentication in Java is that it may add an extra layer of complexity and potential points of failure to the application. If the proxy server goes down or there are issues with the authentication process, it could prevent the application from accessing the internet. Additionally, proxy authentication may also slow down the application's performance.