Johnathan's question at Yahoo Answers (Power series representation)

In summary: The radius of convergence is $2$.In summary, the power series representation for the function is $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}nx^{n-1}}{2^{n+1}}$ with a radius of convergence of $2$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

am studying for a Cal 2 final and I am having a lot of trouble with this one example. Find the power series representation for the function and the radius of convergence. I understand the concepts of power series representations and radii of convergence but I am not sure how to go about solving this problem. f(x) = 1/((2 + x)^2)
I've thought about maybe a partial fraction, but that wouldn't work, then I've thought about making this into f(x) = 1/4 * 1/1-(x^2 + 4x) and setting the x^2 and 4x to my a[n] function but I am not sure if this is correct or how to do it.

Here is a link to the question:

Help with this power series representation? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Johnathan,

Using the geometric series: $$g(x)=\dfrac{1}{x+2}=\dfrac{1}{2}\dfrac{1}{1+ \frac{x}{2}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^n}{2^n}\;(|x|<2)$$
Using the uniform convergence of the power series on all $[-\rho,\rho]\subset (-2,2)$: $$g'(x)=-\frac{1}{(x+2)^2}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nnx^{n-1}}{2^{n+1}}\;(|x|<2)$$ As a consequence, $$f(x)=\dfrac{1}{(x+2)^2}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}nx^{n-1}}{2^{n+1}}\;(|x|<2)$$

Related to Johnathan's question at Yahoo Answers (Power series representation)

1. What is a power series representation?

A power series representation is a mathematical expression that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a multiple of a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. It is often used to approximate functions and can be used to solve differential equations.

2. Why is Johnathan asking about power series representation at Yahoo Answers?

Johnathan may be seeking clarification on the concept or may be struggling with a problem related to power series representation. Asking on a platform like Yahoo Answers allows him to get help from a community of people with knowledge in this subject.

3. How is power series representation related to calculus?

Power series representation is closely related to calculus as it is often used to approximate functions and can be used to solve differential equations, which are key concepts in calculus. It also involves concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

4. Is power series representation limited to certain types of functions?

No, power series representation can be applied to a wide range of functions, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, it may not always be possible to find an exact representation for a given function, and sometimes only a few terms of the series may be used for approximation.

5. Can power series representation be used in real-world applications?

Yes, power series representation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to model and approximate real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population.