Kate spilled black ink on her white dress.

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ink
In summary, Kate spilled black ink on her white dress. Can you turn black into white by changing one letter at a time? Each step must create a valid word in the English language. Kate made the change in 8 steps. Can you do as well ... or better?
Kate spilled black ink on her white dress. Can you turn black into white by changing one letter at a time? Each step must create a valid word in the English language. Kate made the change in 8 steps. Can you do as well ... or better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Kate spilled black ink on her white dress. Can you turn black into white by changing one letter at a time? Each step must create a valid word in the English language. Kate made the change in 8 steps. Can you do as well ... or better?

I see how to get from Brick to White
so if anyone can get from Black to Brick, then we are done

BRICK
TRICK
THICK
THINK
THINE
WHINE
WHITE

maybe

BLACK
PLACK
PRICK
BRICK

and from there on it is done

Yes
the Webster's Third New International Dictionary
that happens to be here does in fact
have PLACK as an English word
so that does work

BLACK
PLACK
PRICK
BRICK
TRICK
THICK
THINK
THINE
WHINE
WHITE

BLACK
CLACK
CLICK
CHICK
THICK
THINK
THINE
WHINE
WHITE

fewer steps?
also clack is a dictionary word
meaning chatter, among other things

Seven:

BLACK
BLICK
BRICK
BRICE
BRITE
WRITE
WHITE

Anybody have a dictionary file (.txt please)
Brute force attack, anyone?

I have seven not counting "BLACK" since that is the start point.

0 BLACK
1 BRACK
2 BRICK
3 BRINK
4 BRINE
5 BRITE
6 WRITE
7 WHITE

Here is one with seven transitions
that uses valid English words
(from the fat Webster's, which
doesnt allow BRITE as an alt.
spelling of bright)

0.BLACK
1.BRACK
2.BRICK
3.TRICK
4.TRICE
5.TRITE
6.WRITE
7.WHITE

according to Webster's
brack is salty or alkaline water
I guess that is where the adjective "brackish"
comes from

Did you actually see BRACK in a dictionary, or is that just a bluff? It's not in any dictionary I can find (although I haven't looked in the HUGE Webster's yet).

Are you sure you didn't see "brak", which I find referenced several places as a Dutch word meaning salty and given as the derivation of the English "brackish".

clack
click
chick
thick
think
thine
whine
white

dduardo gets the point! yes brackish is a word, never heard of just brack used before though

Related to Kate spilled black ink on her white dress.

1. What caused Kate to spill black ink on her white dress?

Kate most likely spilled black ink on her white dress by accident, perhaps while writing or working with a pen or marker.

2. Is the black ink stain permanent?

The permanence of the black ink stain will depend on various factors such as the type of ink, the fabric of the dress, and how quickly the stain is treated. It is best to treat the stain as soon as possible to increase the chances of removing it completely.

3. How can the black ink stain be removed from the white dress?

The best method to remove a black ink stain from a white dress will depend on the type of fabric and the severity of the stain. Some options include using rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, or a commercial stain remover. It is important to spot test any solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the dress first.

4. Can the dress still be worn after the black ink stain is removed?

If the black ink stain is successfully removed, the dress can still be worn. However, it is important to follow the care instructions for the dress and to avoid any further spills or stains.

5. How can future spills or stains be prevented on white clothing?

To prevent future spills or stains on white clothing, it is important to be careful and mindful when working with materials that can cause stains, such as ink. It may also be helpful to wear an apron or protective clothing while working with potentially staining materials.