Kids Ride on Toy Car Battery/Voltage

taz24
Hi all

I have a ride on toy car for my 2 year old daughter and the battery died after not using the car for a few months. The battery was a 12v 7ah rechargable lead acid battery.

I decided to upgrade the battery to a 12v 12ah one and having charged it up and fitted it in the car, I have lost the ability to turn the car left or right from the remote control (the remote operates via a 2.4ghz receiver). The back and forward function works fine as does the stop button and speed increase/decrease button. The battery is showing a voltage of 13.4v whereas before it was around 12.7v with the 7ah battery. The car turns fine manually from the steering wheel.

My understanding is that the increased ah on the new battery is only relevant to how long the car will last after a charge but I am now assuming this is wrong...

Could the increased ah of the new battery prevent the car from turning left or right from the remote i.e. is there too much power going into the receiver? I have attached a picture of the receiver.

One thing I would add here is that when I press the back/forward button, I can hear a signal received 'click' from the receiver unit in the car whereas there is no such sound when I press left/right so could it just be the receiver unit has malfunctioned either naturally or as a result of the increased ah? With the latter, I would have thought the whole receiver unit would have failed in this situation? This could be a red herring though as no click is heard when I press the speed buttons or the stop button. That said, could that be because these functions are within the remote itself only!

There is also of course also the possibility that the remote has broken. Is there a way I could check if it is a signal issue? I have opened the remote and all seems fine in there visually.

I will be very grateful for any help please and I apologise if this issue is too basic for this forum/thread.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• PXL_20240811_101543351~2.jpg
    PXL_20240811_101543351~2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1