Killing all the lions and tigers....

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
In summary: Kill mentally and physically disabled people too - they aren't much use to anyone. And lazy undergraduates...
micromass said:
Face it, we're all just bored.
I'm at work, off the clock, but have something I need to get done. Damn you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
So says your morality. Not mine.

Its a fact

do you want a list of people executed for crimes they did not commit?

Forget about the lions and tigers, what about sharks?! When's the last time you were under an immanent threat of a lion attack? As an avid surfer of several decades, it's always in the back of your mind as you dangle your limbs over your surfboard waiting for the next set to come in. Just ask Mick Fanning...

I've personally had a few run ins, especially off the west coast of Oahu where they seem to like to hang out. At the time I wouldn't have minded if every shark species had been hunted into extinction, but I guess they're important for the ecosystem or something:confused:

William White said:
you support the death penalty

1) you support people (correctly convicted of, say , murder) being executed. How is this killing NEEDED
Since this is off topic, my answer is that that question is too obvious for me to bother answering. Perhaps the wiki article on the subject can answer it for you.
2) you accept that innocent people have been, and will continue to be, executed, whilst the real killer goes free. How is the killing NEEDED
I most certainly do not.

DiracPool said:
Forget about the lions and tigers, what about sharks?! When's the last time you were under an immanent threat of a lion attack? As an avid surfer of several decades, it's always in the back of your mind as you dangle your limbs over your surfboard waiting for the next set to come in. Just as Mick Fanning...

I've personally had a few run ins, especially off the west coast of Oahu where they seem to like to hang out. At the time I wouldn't mind if every shark species had been hunted into extinction, but I guess they're important for the ecosystem or something:confused:

Or maybe it is not smart to go surfing in places where there is a big risk of shark attacks...

russ_watters said:
I most certainly do not.

Just for clarification: you do not think people are being wrongfully convicted to the death penalty?

russ_watters said:
I most certainly do not.

then you are in a state of denial

If you have the death penalty, at some point, an innocent will be executed.by defintion, if you accept the death penalty as needed then you accept that mistakes will lead to innocent people being executed, and by extension, these mistakes, which can never be removed, are needed.

micromass said:
Face it, we're all just bored.
true
OK, and which one of those implies that morality should not apply to animals?
Also, I personally only accept 1, 3 and 4 as bases of my personal morality.

I was surprised to not see "empathy" on the list.
As far as I can tell, it's the only driving force, behind my morality.
At least, as of late, anyways.
I was a randy little obnoxious bugger in my younger days.

micromass said:
Or maybe it is not smart to go surfing in places where there is a big risk of shark attacks...

Yeah but there's this one break at Makaha that lines up real nice with a southwesterly swell:smile:

DiracPool said:
At the time I wouldn't mind if every shark species had been hunted into extinction, but I guess they're important for the ecosystem or something:confused:
More important than your surfing, yes.

I know I said I would withdraw in #68 but I gave a seminar on the topic of media's demonization of sharks just last semester and you happened to say the magic words to pull me back in.
So here's something for you to think about.
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1059154/original.jpg
zoom in.

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Actually, I don't think "most" people realize this.
I think it's something that old people pick up on.
Actually, I do think most people have this going on in their minds. The reason they really dislike mistreatment of animals is because they sense the person doing it would treat people the same. Anthropomorphism of animals is extremely widespread. Kids even fall in love with any bundle of fabric and stuffing that remotely resembles an animal. I, myself, have had the urge to pat animal statues on the head. People find it hard to focus on how animals are different than people, they naturally focus on the apparent similarities.

at the end of the day

That scumbag dentist thought paying $30,000 to travel halfway around the world to kill a creature was fun.

Lots of talk about human rights and human life.

This guy (a convicted criminal) had money to burn, and burned it on death rather than life.

That money could have gone a long way in Zimbabwe to protect people AND animals.

Maybe the good that can come out of this is that the gangsters that poached the animal with him are convicted and the money retrieved for animal welfare; and that he is convicted either in person and does jail time or in absentia and banned from entering Zimbabwe ever again.

William White said:
That money could have gone a long way in Zimbabwe to protect people AND animals.
Big game hunting is a source of money for animal conservation as I posted in #10.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10899-bag-a-trophy-save-a-species/
Perhaps more surprisingly, many conservation biologist see hunting in a similar light. Hunting can be a positive force, they say, because it provides an economic motive for maintaining wildlife habitats. “Without hunting many of these areas would be converted to cattle pasture, and there would be a rapid loss of wildlife,” says Peter Lindsey, a conservation biologist at the University of Zimbabwe in Harare and author of a survey of trophy hunting in Africa (Biological Conservation, vol 134, p 455). When it works, the jobs and money generated by hunting also give local residents an incentive to suppress poaching and keep animals live and on the hoof rather than in their cooking pot. [...]
“The underlying theme is the enormous amount of money that people are willing to spend. That can be an enormous force for conservation,” says Marco Festa-Bianchet, a wildlife biologist at the University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, in Canada.

zoobyshoe said:
Actually, I do think most people have this going on in their minds. The reason they really dislike mistreatment of animals is because they sense the person doing it would treat people the same. Anthropomorphism of animals is extremely widespread. Kids even fall in love with any bundle of fabric and stuffing that remotely resembles an animal. I, myself, have had the urge to pat animal statues on the head. People find it hard to focus on how animals are different than people, they naturally focus on the apparent similarities.

that is because we ARE similar.

We are animals, we are cousins of all animals, and very closely related to the other great apes.

The apparent similarities with, say great apes, are real similarities, because we are the same family.Truthfully, I was more upset when my dog died than when I see people killed on the TV news.

Some animals are part of our immediate families and closer to use than most humans are. This is not anthropomorphism; its realizing that we are all of the same kingdom of animals, and getting joy from the presence of animals.

One of the most joyous experiences of my life was hiking in the Virungas to see a gorilla family. Was only allowed 10 minutes (after a 7 hour hike) but the recognition in the faces of the gorillas was real. They are not that different to us. Our common mother lived about 10 million years ago - a blink in evolutionary terms.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/weesam/5352560717
https://www.flickr.com/photos/weesam/5355541430/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/weesam/5352196799/in/photostream/

(weesam was my dog)

Likes Monsterboy
Enigman said:
Big game hunting is a source of money for animal conservation as I posted in #10.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10899-bag-a-trophy-save-a-species/
yes, but the money could be spent shooting the animals with a camera rather than a gun

I've lived in East Africa.

Their wildlife is a wonder.

It looks a lot more beautiful when it is alive an breathing

Likes Monsterboy and Greg Bernhardt
Enigman said:
I was listening to NPR this morning and some experts said the conservation argument is full of fallacy. Once the archive list is updated I can post the link to listen because I can't remember exactly what was said. One thing I remember is that safari tourism is a 100 billion dollar industry where big game hunting only accounts for 100 million. You can't tell me the countries need $50k for preservation when they are sitting on billions. Where is the rest of the money going?

Likes billy_joule and OmCheeto
Greg Bernhardt said:
I was listening to NPR this morning and some experts said the conservation argument is full of fallacy. Once the archive list is updated I can post the link to listen because I can't remember exactly what was said. One thing I remember is that safari tourism is a 100 billion dollar industry where big game hunting only accounts for 100 million. Where is the rest of the money going?
There are also certain other criticisms pointed out in the article I linked itself.
Nor are hunters likely to take the conservation initiative in such cases. “We will support any legal form of hunting,” says Hosmer. “If our government and the foreign government legally will allow us to hunt a species, then we will support that.”

Often, too, very few of the dollars generated by hunting end up in conservationists’ hands. “If you’re supposed to be getting enough money to do some conservation, it’s just not there,” says Rich Harris, a wildlife biologist affiliated with the University of Montana in Missoula who has served as a consultant for some Chinese trophy-hunting programmes.

Even where hunting is managed smoothly, and when hunting revenue does trickle down to conservation projects, it may cause subtle genetic damage to wildlife populations.

Likes Monsterboy and Greg Bernhardt
William White said:
that is because we ARE similar.
For my money, we are. However, all I can claim is an emotional response of "recognition" that animals have the same emotions I feel. I can't prove they are feeling anything: they might be robotically responding to stimuli with no actual interior experience. Of course, the same is true of other people. I can't prove anyone is having the same "human" interior experience as I am. When it comes to Russ, it especially hard to prove. HA HA HA HA! Damn I'm hilarious!

Likes Monsterboy
Greg Bernhardt said:
Here is a new documentary that looks pretty revealing

That's one documentary, I will not willingly see.

micromass said:
Do you have a link to that currently accepted moral code? Is it just your moral code?
http://uscode.house.gov/

And as William accidentally showed with his link on personhood rights for animals, as pertains to this thread, that is pretty much in line with what is accepted virtually everywhere in the world (animals do not have people rights).
Because the moral codes of most people I know do involve animals in some way or another.
So does mine. But as nearly all do, the sections on "people"" and "animals" are separate and not necessarily related.

OmCheeto said:
I was surprised to not see "empathy" on the list.
Look harder.

micromass said:
Just for clarification: you do not think people are being wrongfully convicted to the death penalty?
I do. But I do not accept that that is ok.

russ_watters said:
I do. But I do not accept that that is ok.

How can you possibly be a proponent of the death penalty then?

The premise of the OP's post begs the following question:

Are the only animals that are allowed to exist are those that "serve" humans?

Because that seems to be the basis of the argument about killing lions/tigers/a wide variety of animals. But what makes people think that only animals that are of "value" to humans are the ones who should survive?

I also think the question confounds a more important question: why should hunting and killing animals for sport be allowed in this day and age? I can understand why people may hunt animals for food & sustenance, but killing solely so that someone can mount the carcass in his/her living room is frankly barbaric and should be outlawed.

Likes Monsterboy
russ_watters said:
But as nearly all do, the sections on "people"" and "animals" are separate and not necessarily related.

OK, so morality does involve animal rights. So you disagree now with your previous statement that morality is by the people and for the people.

Likes Monsterboy
micromass said:
The united state code of laws is the universally accepted system of morality?? Wow.
That isn't what I said. Please read the rest of the post.

russ_watters said:
That isn't what I said. Please read the rest of the post.

I asked you for the currently accepted moral code and you responded with the US code of laws (which does not seem to involve morality a whole lot). I think the interpretation of your post is obvious: that you see the US code of law as the universally accepted moral code. Why else did you bring it up?

Likes Monsterboy
micromass said:
I asked you for the currently accepted moral code and you responded with the US code of laws (which does not seem to involve morality a whole lot). I think the interpretation of your post is obvious: that you see the US code of law as the universally accepted moral code. Why else did you bring it up?
There is no single written code that covers everyone and i never claimed there was (nor does there need to be). The US code is a reflection of the morality of the people who created and agree to adhere to it. And as I said in the next part of the post, they pretty well reflects the morality adhered to in most of the rest of the world, as pertains to this thread.

micromass said:
How can you possibly be a proponent of the death penalty then?
What problem do you see here? Do you think it is odd that I support an action/policy that sometimes accidentally kills innocent people?

russ_watters said:
There is no single written code that covers everyone and i never claimed there was (nor does there need to be). The US code is a reflection of the morality of the people who created and agree to adhere to it. And as I said in the next part of the post, they pretty well reflects the morality adhered to in most of the rest of the world, as pertains to this thread.

Personally, I do not find the US moral code to be very reflective of my own personal moral code. In any case, you are being very US-centric here.

russ_watters said:
What problem do you see here? Do you think it is odd that I support an action/policy that sometimes accidentally kills innocent people?

Yes, I find that odd.

micromass said:
Personally, I do not find the US moral code to be very reflective of my own personal moral code. In any case, you are being very US-centric here.
No I'm not. Again, AS PERTAINS TO THE OP OF THIS THREAD, the US code is very reflective of the rest of the world. As William's link pointed out, for example, there is virtually nowhere in the world that accepts personhood for animals.

I could cite the UN Universal Declaration of Human rights as the closest thing to a worldwide moral code, but it doesn't mention animals (that I know of) and I didn't want to play rough.

micromass said:
Yes, I find that odd.
Then how do you reconcile it for yourself? There are few moments in your life when you AREN'T doing/participating in something that accidentally kills innocent people.