Lagrange mechanics: Pendulum attached to a massless support

In summary, the conversation is discussing a simple pendulum attached to a massless support with a constant upward acceleration. The equations of motion and period for small oscillations are being determined. The formulas for potential and kinetic energy are provided, and the conversation then focuses on finding the kinetic and potential energy in this specific problem. The degrees of freedom and velocity vectors are also discussed before reaching a conclusion.
skeer

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum of length ##b## and bob with mass ##m## is attached to a massless support
moving vertically upward with constant acceleration ##a##. Determine (a) the
equations of motion and (b) the period for small oscillations.

2. Formulas

##U = mgh##

##T = (1/2)mv^2 ##

##L= T-U##

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help finding the Kinetic and Potential energy in this problem.
My understanding is that the pendulum is attached to something that its moving upwards. With this motion and the oscillation of the pendulum, I only find 2 degrees of freedom: vertical and circular (this one is in polar coordinates).

So far I have:

##U= -(mgy + mgbcos(\theta)## and ##K = (1/2)m\dot y^2 + (1/2)mb^2\dot\theta^2##

I think there is something that I am missing because ##\dot y = at +k## (where ##k## is a constant) if one is to integrate the acceleration of the support(##a##). Also, I am not sure if I should add the velocity vectors to find the total velocity of the pendulum.

Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the support has constant acceleration, is its position a degree of freedom?

I thought it was until you mentioned... I revised and I think I was able to figure it out. Another thing that I realized is that ##y = (1/2)a t^2 + v_0 t -bcos\theta##

Thank you for pointing that out!

Related to Lagrange mechanics: Pendulum attached to a massless support

What is Lagrange mechanics?

Lagrange mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of mechanical systems. It was developed by Italian mathematician and astronomer Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 18th century.

What is a pendulum attached to a massless support?

A pendulum attached to a massless support is a physical system consisting of a mass suspended from a pivot point or support that has no mass. This type of support is often used in theoretical physics to simplify the analysis of pendulum motion.

How is Lagrange mechanics applied to a pendulum attached to a massless support?

In Lagrange mechanics, the dynamics of a system can be described using a set of generalized coordinates and a function called the Lagrangian, which represents the total energy of the system. By applying the principles of Lagrange mechanics to a pendulum attached to a massless support, we can derive equations that describe the motion of the pendulum.

What are the advantages of using Lagrange mechanics to study a pendulum attached to a massless support?

One advantage of using Lagrange mechanics is that it allows for a more elegant and efficient description of the system compared to other methods, such as Newtonian mechanics. It also allows for the inclusion of constraints and external forces in the analysis, making it useful for studying complex systems.

Are there any limitations to using Lagrange mechanics for a pendulum attached to a massless support?

One limitation of using Lagrange mechanics for a pendulum attached to a massless support is that it assumes the support has no mass, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, the equations derived using Lagrange mechanics can become complex and difficult to solve for more complex systems.