Lagrangian vs. Hamiltonian in QFT

In summary, the Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant because it is a scalar under Lorentz transformations, while the Hamiltonian is not because it is a component of the 4-momentum, which changes under Lorentz transformations. To show that a theory is Lorentz-invariant, one must construct the other components and generators of the Poincare operator algebra in addition to the Hamiltonian.
copernicus1
I'm a little confused about why the Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant and the Hamiltonian is not. I keep reading that the Lagrangian is "obviously" Lorentz invariant because it's a scalar, but isn't the Hamiltonian a scalar also?

I've been thinking this issue must be somewhat more complex, because mass is an invariant between frames, and it's a scalar, but energy obviously isn't invariant, and it's a scalar too, so I guess I'm missing something. Is it related to the fact that energy is a component of the 4-momentum?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The hamiltonian is the time component of the energy-momentum four-vector; hence it is not Lorentz invariant.

In QFT, the action is Lorentz invariant, and the lagrangian density is Lorentz invariant, but the lagrangian itself is not. (In QFT books, "lagrangian" often really means "lagrangian density".)

copernicus1 said:
I'm a little confused about why the Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant and the Hamiltonian is not. I keep reading that the Lagrangian is "obviously" Lorentz invariant because it's a scalar, but isn't the Hamiltonian a scalar also?

Not in the sense that is meant here. I believe you're taking "scalar" to mean "single-component object." But almost always in QFT, "scalar" means "Lorentz scalar," i.e., "object that is invariant under Lorentz transformations." So isn't saying that "the Lagrangian density is Lorentz invariant because it is a scalar" circular? What people mean here is: "look at our form for the Lagrangian density. All the Lorentz indices are contracted. Therefore this thing is invariant under Lorentz transformations."

Similarly, "vector" in QFT almost always means "4-vector," an object with specific transformation rules under Lorentz transformations.

copernicus1 said:
I've been thinking this issue must be somewhat more complex, because mass is an invariant between frames, and it's a scalar, but energy obviously isn't invariant, and it's a scalar too, so I guess I'm missing something. Is it related to the fact that energy is a component of the 4-momentum?

Right; the Hamiltonian is the total energy, which is a component of the 4-momentum, which changes under Lorentz transformations, i.e., is not a scalar in the QFT sense. In relativistic field theory, we say, "the Hamiltonian is not a scalar: it is the zeroth component of a vector."

To show that a theory in canonical i.e. Hamiltonmian formulation is Lorentz-invariant requires some work: in addition to the Hamiltonian H = P° the other components Pi as well as the generators of the Lorentz group Li (angular momentum - rotations) and Ki (boosts) have to be constructed. In addition it has to be shown that these objects fulfil the required Poincare operator algebra.

Related to Lagrangian vs. Hamiltonian in QFT

1. What is the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian in QFT?

In quantum field theory (QFT), the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two mathematical frameworks used to describe and analyze the behavior of quantum systems. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its positions and velocities, while the Hamiltonian is a function that describes the total energy of the system and how it changes over time.

2. Which framework is more commonly used in QFT?

The Lagrangian framework is more commonly used in QFT because it is more convenient for dealing with systems with a large number of degrees of freedom. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the dynamics of a system.

3. Can the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian be derived from each other?

Yes, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different ways of expressing the same physical system. They are related by the Legendre transformation, which allows for the conversion of one into the other.

4. How do the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian describe the behavior of particles in QFT?

In QFT, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian describe the behavior of particles by incorporating the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. They take into account the probabilistic nature of particles and how they interact with each other through quantum fields.

5. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using one framework over the other?

One advantage of using the Lagrangian framework in QFT is that it allows for a more intuitive understanding of the dynamics of a system. However, the Hamiltonian framework is better suited for dealing with systems with a fixed number of particles. In general, both frameworks have their own strengths and are used in different scenarios depending on the system being studied.