Layperson who promises to try to not be annoying

• Thread starter Ninapdoula
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is between a homeschooling mom with inquisitive and advanced level children and other forum members. The mom is deeply interested in physics and is here to look up answers to her children's challenging questions. She also expresses frustration at her own high school experience where she was told to stop taking math and science. The mom and her children enjoy going down rabbit holes and exploring endless trails of questions. The other members welcome the mom and her kids and share their own experiences with homeschooling and education. The mom is advised to state when she is asking a question on behalf of her children in order to get better responses.
Ninapdoula
I'm a (secular) homeschooling mom who has very inquisitive and advanced level kiddos, so we are here to look up answers to their more challenging questions. I am also deeply interested in physics and study on my own (was told to just stop taking math and science by my high school - I "had enough to graduate so why bother" - and never had a chance to learn more.) We enjoy going down rabbit holes, following endless trails of questions.
Will be mostly reading and exploring the site, and not asking annoying questions on the threads - promise :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Annoying questions are definitely welcome! Sometimes they're the only way to learn. I hope you learn a lot here!

Likes Ninapdoula
Welcome to the forum. How many kids? How old.

Questions are welcome here, not annoying.

phinds said:
Welcome to the forum. How many kids? How old.

Thanks! Two kids, almost 8 and freshly 10. Both doing 5th grade curriculum - but we go way beyond that when the great questions start :) We found this page because they wanted to know what forces keep the liquid in a straw when you hold your finger over one end. (Then why the graphite on a pencil won't just keep shrinking when you write on a line that the pencil already made. Then what it is about heat and motion that makes atoms move apart.)
Sometimes we study history and other stuff, too ;-)

phinds said:
Sometimes certain people can phind certain questions annoying, unfortunately :wink:

(just kidding!)

Ninapdoula said:
I'm a (secular) homeschooling mom who has very inquisitive and advanced level kiddos
Ninapdoula said:
Thanks! Two kids, almost 8 and freshly 10. Both doing 5th grade curriculum - but we go way beyond that when the great questions start :)
How nice! I've been homeschooled, too, and it's awesome. I hope your kids become very interested in science and math . . . :smile:

Likes Ninapdoula
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Sometimes certain people can phind certain questions annoying, unfortunately :wink:

(just kidding!)
How nice! I've been homeschooled, too, and it's awesome. I hope your kids become very interested in science and math . . . :smile:
Thanks! They are already and that's why I need to be here :) Sometimes they ask me something and I just sit there with my mouth open. Glad you liked your homeschool experience!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Isn't a shame that in this place a person of such obvious good intention feels the need to declare her status as a secular homeschooler in order to avoid knee jerk prejudice.

Go get'em Schoolmarm!

Likes Ninapdoula
Ninapdoula said:
Thanks! Two kids, almost 8 and freshly 10. Both doing 5th grade curriculum - but we go way beyond that when the great questions start :) We found this page because they wanted to know what forces keep the liquid in a straw when you hold your finger over one end. (Then why the graphite on a pencil won't just keep shrinking when you write on a line that the pencil already made. Then what it is about heat and motion that makes atoms move apart.)
Sometimes we study history and other stuff, too ;-)
Those are great questions your kids are asking! You must be doing something right! I wish I would have been allowed to be home schooled , but apparently it wasn't an option. So the teachers just took my books away from me so that I wouldn't get ahead of the rest of the class. My mother was definitely qualified to home school me.\

Oh well. I survived and did well, and it sounds like your kids will be way ahead of other kids when it comes time for college.

Just a hint, when you are asking a question posed by one of your children, state that in the post so that people understand, not many people read feedback.

Likes Ninapdoula
Evo said:
... So the teachers just took my books away from me so that I wouldn't get ahead of the rest of the class.
That's a shame Evo. I can empathize somewhat because my kids had similar problems. My son, for example, was once told that he should not read a particular book outside class because "then what would he read next year?" VERY frustrating and my wife had to restrain me from getting violent with the "teacher".

Likes Ninapdoula
phinds said:
That's a shame Evo. I can empathize somewhat because my kids had similar problems. My son, for example, was once told that he should not read a particular book outside class because "then what would he read next year?" VERY frustrating and my wife had to restrain me from getting violent with the "teacher".
No words ... :headbang:

Welcome @Ninapdoula .

Likes Ninapdoula
phinds said:
:frown:

Evo said:
Those are great questions your kids are asking! You must be doing something right! I wish I would have been allowed to be home schooled , but apparently it wasn't an option. So the teachers just took my books away from me so that I wouldn't get ahead of the rest of the class. My mother was definitely qualified to home school me.\

Oh well. I survived and did well, and it sounds like your kids will be way ahead of other kids when it comes time for college.

Just a hint, when you are asking a question posed by one of your children, state that in the post so that people understand, not many people read feedback.

Thanks for the advice!
And yes, school can be a hard place for those who don't fit neatly in the middle, and I am sorry that happened to you. I have friends who are working hard to change the system, but I just can't imagine, with the way it's currently set up, that it would even be possible for teachers to really support gifted kids (too many in the classroom, teaching to the tests, etc.) Anyway, lots of parents are finding alternatives when they can (there are over 400 homeschooling families in my city, and we have a nice little group of friends, including some who go to school and jet over here at 3.) I am lucky we could figure out how to pull them 5 years ago, and it's been fascinating and wonderful (most of the time :wink:) since.
Glad to hear you are doing well!
Again, thanks for the welcome, and for the encouragement!

Related to Layperson who promises to try to not be annoying

What does it mean to be a "layperson"?

A layperson is someone who is not a professional or expert in a particular field or subject. They may have limited knowledge or understanding of the topic.

Why is it important for a layperson to try not to be annoying?

It is important for a layperson to try not to be annoying because they may not have a full understanding of the topic and could unintentionally spread misinformation or annoy those who are more knowledgeable.

What can a layperson do to prevent being annoying?

A layperson can prevent being annoying by being open to learning and listening to those with more expertise, asking questions respectfully, and avoiding making unfounded statements or arguments.

Can a layperson still contribute to discussions or debates without being annoying?

Yes, a layperson can still contribute to discussions or debates without being annoying by doing their own research and backing up their statements with credible sources, admitting when they are unsure or wrong, and being respectful in their interactions with others.

How can a layperson continue to learn and grow without being annoying?

A layperson can continue to learn and grow without being annoying by seeking out reliable sources of information, engaging in respectful discussions with experts, and being open to new perspectives and ideas.