Learn from My Mistake: What to Do When You Forgot to Drop a Class

In summary: So, I'm assuming that if I don't have this F on my transcript, they'll still accept me. How could you seriously have had no clue whatsoever that you were still registered for that class? You didn't receive any kind of school emails pertaining to the class or see any kind of financial statements reflecting your enrollment or anything? Nothing? I'm not trying to upset you or anything, honestly. I simply can't understand how someone serious about school could be so disconnected from their own academics. As for advice, well, I would imagine that you should still be fine so long as you meet all of the admission requirements for the school you're transferring to. Obviously, it will still reflect poorly, but I think you'll be fine as long
Astrum
Forgot to Drop a Class...

I went to a CC (two actually, at the same time), and I had signed up for an online English class, and had thought I dropped it, and I apparently didn't. I've got no idea, I'm going to have to talk to a counselor on Monday, since that is the last day of classes (grades are due by the end of May).

So, I have a big ZERO in that class.

Any advice? I'm pretty angry about it. I'm transferring to a state university, and now they're going to see a zero on my transcript.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think talking to the cordinator and HOD of the class is the only thing you can do and see how it goes from there.

How could you seriously have had no clue whatsoever that you were still registered for that class? You didn't receive any kind of school emails pertaining to the class or see any kind of financial statements reflecting your enrollment or anything? Nothing? I'm not trying to upset you or anything, honestly. I simply can't understand how someone serious about school could be so disconnected from their own academics. As for advice, well, I would imagine that you should still be fine so long as you meet all of the admission requirements for the school you're transferring to. Obviously, it will still reflect poorly, but I think you'll be fine as long as you still have time to graduate with a good GPA.

Astrum said:
Any advice? I'm pretty angry about it. I'm transferring to a state university, and now they're going to see a zero on my transcript.

It seems there's often a 'personal statement' type essay in which you can include information explaining why you have an F in this class. A simple statement that you just forgot to drop the class is basically all you can do.

wukunlin said:
I think talking to the cordinator and HOD of the class is the only thing you can do and see how it goes from there.

I'm going to a counselor tomorrow, who will likely send me to the Dean of Students (she had already sent me there when I went to ask about a class).

Eleknar said:
How could you seriously have had no clue whatsoever that you were still registered for that class? You didn't receive any kind of school emails pertaining to the class or see any kind of financial statements reflecting your enrollment or anything? Nothing? I'm not trying to upset you or anything, honestly. I simply can't understand how someone serious about school could be so disconnected from their own academics. As for advice, well, I would imagine that you should still be fine so long as you meet all of the admission requirements for the school you're transferring to. Obviously, it will still reflect poorly, but I think you'll be fine as long as you still have time to graduate with a good GPA.

My GPA is 3.1 from taking three classes (not including this failed class). On the student account they give everyone, I still had updates for it, along with updates for my other classes. I had heard from other students that sometimes classes will remain on your account, even after you complete or drop them.

Nabeshin said:
It seems there's often a 'personal statement' type essay in which you can include information explaining why you have an F in this class. A simple statement that you just forgot to drop the class is basically all you can do.

The university I'm transferring to doesn't ask for any essays, only a transcript of all post secondary classes, and a HS diploma.

FAQ: Learn from My Mistake: What to Do When You Forgot to Drop a Class

What should I do if I forgot to drop a class?

If you forgot to drop a class, the first thing you should do is contact your professor or academic advisor. They will be able to guide you on the next steps to take, whether it's withdrawing from the class or discussing your options for making up the missed work.

Will forgetting to drop a class affect my GPA?

This depends on the policies of your school and the timing of when you forgot to drop the class. Some schools may allow you to withdraw from a class without affecting your GPA if it is done within a certain timeframe. However, if it is past the deadline or if you have already completed a significant portion of the class, it may impact your GPA.

Can I still drop a class after the deadline?

It is possible to drop a class after the deadline, but it may require special permission from your school. You will need to provide a valid reason for dropping the class late and may need to meet with an academic advisor or go through an appeals process.

What are the consequences of not dropping a class?

If you do not drop a class and simply stop attending or completing assignments, you will likely receive a failing grade for the class. This can negatively impact your GPA and may also affect your academic standing or financial aid eligibility. It is best to officially drop the class if you know you will not be able to successfully complete it.

How can I avoid forgetting to drop a class in the future?

To avoid forgetting to drop a class in the future, make sure to regularly check your class schedule and deadlines. Set reminders for yourself and communicate with your professor or academic advisor if you are struggling in a class. It is also a good idea to regularly review your course load and make adjustments if necessary.