Least upper bound of open interval.

In summary, the concept of a least upper bound for an open interval, such as (a,b), can be confusing at first. However, by understanding that this number, denoted as X, must satisfy two conditions - being an upper bound of the interval and the least of all upper bounds - we can see that it makes sense for the least upper bound to be equal to the endpoint of the interval, b. This reasoning can also be applied to other open intervals, such as (1,2), where the least upper bound is also equal to the endpoint of the interval. Additionally, the seemingly infinite decimals in numbers like 1.9999... can be explained as the sum of a geometric series and ultimately equal to 2
BareFootKing
I am having trouble understanding how there could be a least upper bound for an open interval. If I have (a,b) and i am looking for the least upper bound X which is the number that is less than or equal to the set of Y such that Y> all the numbers in the interval (a,b) when I think about it I can't understand why it would be b.

If the interval was (1,2) I would first think the lowest upper bound would be just to the left of 2. So 1.9999999 which would be a number with infinite decimals . I don't understand why it would be 2 as my textbooks says.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having trouble understanding how there could be a least upper bound for an open interval. If I have (a,b) and i am looking for the least upper bound X which is the number that is less than or equal to the set of Y such that Y> all the numbers in the interval (a,b) when I think about it I can't understand why it would be b.

If the interval was (1,2) I would first think the lowest upper bound would be just to the left of 2. So 1.9999999 which would be a number with infinite decimals . I don't understand why it would be 2 as my textbooks says.

See, the real numbers 1.9999999... (with infinitely many decimals; this isn't the same as the 1.9999999 that you wrote!) and 2 are equal. Let me backtrack a little...

The least upper bound of (1,2), call it s, has to satisfy two conditions:
(i) s is an upper bound of (1,2), i.e. if 1 < x < 2, then x ≤ s. [This is the upper bound part.]
(ii) If t is any upper bound of (1,2), then s ≤ t. [This is the least part.]

So obviously we can't have s < 2, because then there is some number in between s and 2 which is bigger than s, which makes s not an upper bound. E.g. if s = 1.9 we can take 1.95 as our counterexample. Therefore s ≥ 2.

Now, if s > 2 we can find some number in between s and 2 like before, only this time the number will be smaller than s and bigger than 2. Thus this number will still be an upper bound of (1,2), but it will be less than s, so s will not be a least upper bound. E.g. if s = 2.1 we can take 2.05 as our counterexample. Therefore s ≤ 2.

Putting these two parts together shows that in fact s = 2. The same reasoning applies to any open interval (a,b), but I chose to stick to (1,2) for concreteness.

Filler (JIC):

For the interval (1,2), if s=2.1, then it would be an upper bound, because there is no number between s and 2 which is less than 2... but it is not the least upper bound because there are still numbers smaller than s which are also upper bounds.

1.9999... =2 because $$1.999...= 1+9\sum_{n=1}^\infty 10^{-n}$$ ... which is the sum of a geometric series.
You know how to do those: have a go :)

Last edited:

FAQ: Least upper bound of open interval.

1. What is the definition of the least upper bound of an open interval?

The least upper bound of an open interval is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in that interval. It is also known as the supremum.

2. How is the least upper bound different from the maximum value of an open interval?

The maximum value of an open interval is the largest number in that interval, while the least upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the interval. The maximum value may or may not be included in the interval, whereas the least upper bound is always included.

3. Is the least upper bound always a part of the open interval?

Yes, the least upper bound is always a part of the open interval. It is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in that interval.

4. Can there be more than one least upper bound for an open interval?

No, there can only be one least upper bound for an open interval. This is because the least upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the interval, so there cannot be two numbers that satisfy this condition.

5. How is the concept of least upper bound useful in analysis and mathematical proofs?

The concept of least upper bound is useful in analysis and mathematical proofs because it allows us to define the upper limit of a set of numbers. It also helps in proving the existence of certain numbers or values in a set. Additionally, the least upper bound property is a fundamental concept in real analysis and is used to define important concepts such as continuity and completeness.