Leg muscles’ force as a system of levers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to break down a total force exerted by a person's legs into smaller forces exerted by each muscle group involved. It is noted that this is an underdetermined problem and requires an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. The process involves using inverse-dynamics to get external joint torques and muscle optimization to balance these torques. Software such as "OpenSim" can be used for this purpose, and simplifying the problem to 2D and a few muscles may make it solvable by hand.
KataruZ98
TL;DR Summary
How can I calculate the force exerted by each muscle group in a jump?
If I know a person has exerted total force F with their legs and I’m interested in breaking down said force in smaller forces exerted for each involved muscle group - how can I do it? With a basic level of understanding of human anatomy I can divide the leg as a series of levers but how can I specifically find force exerted by each lever?

EDIT: I’m aware “smaller” is not the correct word, but still..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KataruZ98 said:
If I know a person has exerted total force F with their legs and I’m interested in breaking down said force in smaller forces exerted for each involved muscle group - how can I do it? With a basic level of understanding of human anatomy I can divide the leg as a series of levers but how can I specifically find force exerted by each lever?
Note that this is an underdetermined problem, so you need to specify an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. You use inverse-dynamics to get the external joint torques from the ground reaction force, and then muscle optimization to get the muscle forces that balance these external torques.

You can use software for that:
https://simtk.org/projects/opensim

If you simplify it to 2D and just a few muscles, then you might get something that you can solve by hand.

Last edited:
Likes KataruZ98
A.T. said:
Note that this is an undermined problem, so you need to specify an optimization criterion to get a unique solution. You use inverse-dynamics to get the external joint torques from the ground reaction force, and then muscle optimization to get the muscle forces that balance these external torques.

You can use software for that:
https://simtk.org/projects/opensim

If you simplify it to 2D and just a few muscles, then you might get something that you can solve by hand.
Ah, I see. Thank you very much, I’ll see what I’ll be able to do.

A.T. said:
undermined
I suspect that the correct word is underdetermined.

There are some nasty repetitions in there to entice the fingers to skip ahead in the sequence and no spell check to save you.

jbriggs444 said:
I suspect that the correct word is underdetermined.
Yes, thanks. Fixed it.

Likes jbriggs444

Related to Leg muscles’ force as a system of levers

What are the primary muscles involved in the leg's lever system?

The primary muscles involved in the leg's lever system include the quadriceps, hamstrings, calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus), and the gluteal muscles. These muscles work together to produce movement and force through the bones of the leg, which act as levers.

How do bones in the leg act as levers?

Bones in the leg act as levers by providing a rigid structure that muscles can pull on to create movement. The femur, tibia, and fibula are the main bones that act as levers, with joints such as the knee and ankle serving as pivot points (fulcrums). When muscles contract, they exert force on these bones, causing movement at the joints.

What are the types of levers found in the leg?

The leg primarily utilizes first-class and third-class levers. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is between the effort and the load, as seen in the action of the calf muscles when standing on tiptoe. In a third-class lever, the effort is applied between the fulcrum and the load, which is the most common type found in the body, such as the action of the quadriceps when extending the knee.

How does the lever system in the leg enhance movement efficiency?

The lever system in the leg enhances movement efficiency by maximizing force output and range of motion while minimizing energy expenditure. By positioning muscles and joints strategically, the body can produce powerful movements, such as jumping or running, with relatively small muscle contractions. This biomechanical advantage allows for efficient locomotion and agility.

What role do tendons play in the leg's lever system?

Tendons play a crucial role in the leg's lever system by attaching muscles to bones, transmitting the force generated by muscle contractions to the skeletal system. Tendons, such as the Achilles tendon, are strong and flexible, allowing them to withstand significant tension and contribute to the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the lever system in the leg.