Li ion battery electrode surface area

In summary, increasing the area of the electrode in a lithium ion battery may speed up the discharge process. However, this may have negative side effects, such as reducing the battery's lifespan.
nick leigh
What effect (if any) would changing the surface area of electrodes in a lithium ion battery have?
Would it allow for faster battery charging? Faster discharge rate?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand, a lithium battery uses chemical reaction to generate electricity, as such, increasing the contact area between the electrode and the solution will increase the production rate of ions within the solution, but this may reach a maximum point where the solution is saturated or depleted that the area would have little influence on the reactions, but I would say, with some though not absolute certainty, that increasing the area of the electrode would speed up the discharge process.

Oh, by the way, I am not sure how good this site is for practical matters like this, most people I came across so far seem too involved in their abstract business to give useful answers, rather they just point out little things in my post that they found unappealing. Anyways, I hoped my post helped you in any ways.

Likes nick leigh
nick leigh said:
What effect (if any) would changing the surface area of electrodes in a lithium ion battery have?

Thanks in advance

What has your reading indicated so far? Can you post links to what you have read on this subject so far? :smile:

24forChromium said:
As I understand, a lithium battery uses chemical reaction to generate electricity, as such, increasing the contact area between the electrode and the solution will increase the production rate of ions within the solution, but this may reach a maximum point where the solution is saturated or depleted that the area would have little influence on the reactions, but I would say, with some though not absolute certainty, that increasing the area of the electrode would speed up the discharge process.

Oh, by the way, I am not sure how good this site is for practical matters like this, most people I came across so far seem too involved in their abstract business to give useful answers, rather they just point out little things in my post that they found unappealing. Anyways, I hoped my post helped you in any ways.

Can you please send me a message with links to the replies that did not seem good? Thanks. BTW, if you ever see a post or reply that seems to go against the PF rules (see Info at the top of the page), please click the Report link on the post. The Mentors are pretty good at responding to Reports quickly. :smile:

nick leigh said:

I believe that's correct and the subject of a lot of research.

One problem is that increasing the surface area by making it highly porus or using nano structures has side effects such as making the cell less robust (reduced life time). For example during charge/discharge there are volume changes that can damage fragile 3D structures.

Recent news story..
http://www.geek.com/chips/forgetful-scientists-accidentally-quadruple-lithium-ion-battery-lifespan-1631273/

Related to Li ion battery electrode surface area

1. What is the importance of electrode surface area in Li ion batteries?

The electrode surface area is crucial in Li ion batteries because it directly affects the battery's performance and capacity. A larger surface area allows for more active material to be exposed to the electrolyte, resulting in higher energy and power densities.

2. How is the electrode surface area measured in Li ion batteries?

Electrode surface area is typically measured using techniques such as Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) analysis, gas adsorption, and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). These methods involve measuring the total surface area of the electrode's active material.

3. Does increasing the electrode surface area always lead to better battery performance?

While a larger surface area can improve battery performance, there are other factors to consider such as the active material's composition and the electrolyte's ability to access the surface. Therefore, simply increasing the surface area may not always result in better performance.

4. How can the electrode surface area be optimized in Li ion batteries?

One way to optimize the electrode surface area is by using nanostructured materials such as nanoparticles, nanowires, and nanotubes. These structures have a high surface area to volume ratio, allowing for more active material to be packed into the electrode and increasing the overall surface area.

5. Can the electrode surface area change over the course of a Li ion battery's lifetime?

Yes, the electrode surface area can change over time due to various factors such as cycling and aging. This can be caused by the formation of a solid electrolyte interface (SEI) layer on the electrode surface, which reduces the effective surface area and can impact battery performance.