Linear model of air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling the velocity and displacement of different paper shapes with air resistance taken into account. The equation for air resistance is R = kv, assuming only vertical motion and the only forces acting on the cup are its weight and air resistance. The equations for velocity and displacement in terms of time are found, but the issue is finding the constant k. The conversation also mentions that for large time, the terminal velocity is mg/k and the x against t graph will have an increasing gradient until the terminal velocity is reached. The method for finding k is not discussed.
cenarme

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have to model the velocity and displacement of different paper shapes assuming that air resistance, R is proportional to velocity, v.

I have also conducted an experiment, and the equation of the line
h = 1.532t - 0.366
Where h is the height the paper shape was dropped from, if t is the time taken for it to reach the ground.

Model:
R = kv
Assuming that the only forces acting on the cup are it's mg downwards and R upwards.
And that the motion is vertical only.

when t=0, v=0 and x=0

I have found the equations for v and x in terms of t. The problem I have is finding k.

k= constant in the the assumption R is prop to v.
mg= weight of paper cup
R= air resistance
dv/dt = acceleration
x= displacement
v= velocity of the paper cup

Downwards is taken as positive.

I will go through what I have so you know what I am working with and the nature of the problem, but ultimately the problem I have with is k.

Homework Equations

N[II] gives : m(dv/dt) = mg -kv

(dv/dt) + (k/m)*v = g

Using an integrating factor: I = e^(kt/m)

So d(v*e^[kt/m])/dt = ∫ge^(kt/m)dt

Finishing this and using the initial conditions:

v = [mg/k]*(1-e^[-kt/m])

Integrating this we get displacement:

x = [mg/k]*(t+(m/k)e^(-kt/m)+c)

Using initial conditions:

x= [mg/k]*(t+(m/k)*[e^(-kt/m)-1])

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that t -> ∞ v-> mg/k [which will be an asymptote when plotted]

So the terminal velocity = mg/k

I also know that the x against t graph will look like a curve with an increasing gradient, until the time at which the terminal velocity is reached. At this time the gradient will become constant.

Ok so now we find k--- how?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your experimental result has h = ct+d. So for large t, h ~ ct. Doesn't that give you your terminal velocity? And presumably you know m.

Related to Linear model of air resistance

What is the linear model of air resistance?

The linear model of air resistance is a simplified mathematical representation of how air resistance affects the motion of an object. It assumes that the force of air resistance is directly proportional to the velocity of the object.

How does the linear model of air resistance differ from the real world?

In reality, air resistance is more complex and depends on factors such as the shape and size of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. The linear model only takes into account the velocity of the object.

What is the equation for the linear model of air resistance?

The equation for the linear model of air resistance is F = bv, where F is the force of air resistance, b is a constant representing the drag coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object.

How does the linear model of air resistance affect the motion of an object?

The linear model of air resistance predicts that as the velocity of an object increases, the force of air resistance also increases, eventually reaching a point where the two forces are equal and the object reaches a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

What are the limitations of the linear model of air resistance?

The linear model of air resistance is only an approximation and does not account for all the variables that affect air resistance in real life. It also assumes that the force of air resistance is always in the opposite direction of the object's motion, which may not always be the case.