Literature on Black Hole Pair Production (?)

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the best literature to learn about black hole pair production. The conversation participants suggest different textbooks, including Rajaraman's "Solitons and Instantons" and Birrell and Davies' "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime", which may provide detailed explanations and calculations for this topic. The person asking the question is a graduate level student with knowledge of quantum field theory and general relativity.
Jan Paniev
Does anyone could indicate what is the best literature to learn about black hole pair production? Any textbook explaining the instanton derivation in detail for the case of black holes?

Jan

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What level are you looking for? Do you know quantum field theory?

Graduate level is fine. I have already learned QFT and GR. I'm reading the early papers like Garfinkle, Dowker and Hawking, but I would be happy to find a more detailed, or maybe more pedagogical, description. Rajaraman's "Solitons and Instantons" does not seem to have any black hole pair production example (although I may have overlooked it, in which case I apologise...). Is there any book which describes in length the whole approach?

Yes. The book that most people learn from (I think) is by Birrell and Davies, called "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime" or something. It should go into some detail about the calculation.

Related to Literature on Black Hole Pair Production (?)

1. What is black hole pair production in literature?

Black hole pair production is a theoretical concept in literature that suggests the possibility of a new type of black hole formation. According to this theory, when a particle accelerator produces enough energy, it could create a pair of black holes instead of just one.

2. How is black hole pair production different from traditional black hole formation?

This theory suggests that black hole pair production would occur in high energy environments, such as particle accelerators, whereas traditional black hole formation is thought to happen through the collapse of a massive star. Additionally, black hole pair production would result in two smaller black holes, whereas traditional black hole formation typically results in one larger black hole.

3. Is there any evidence for black hole pair production?

At this time, there is no direct evidence for black hole pair production. However, scientists are actively searching for signs of this phenomenon through observations of high energy events, such as collisions between particles in particle accelerators or in outer space.

4. What are the potential implications of black hole pair production?

If black hole pair production were to occur, it would challenge our current understanding of black holes and their formation. It could also have significant implications for the study of dark matter and the origin of the universe.

5. How does black hole pair production relate to other theories, such as Hawking radiation?

Black hole pair production is often discussed in relation to other theories, such as Hawking radiation, which suggests that black holes emit radiation and eventually evaporate. Some scientists theorize that black hole pair production could potentially counteract this process and allow black holes to continue to exist for longer periods of time.

Back