Long-term challenging physics project for high school

helloooooworld
I'm currently a senior in high school and i'm looking for a challenging physics project to do for my physics class since we are supposed to do one during our whole senior year. I first tried to look into fusors but my parents are scared it might be too dangerous -- what are some challenging projects I could do? I have already looked into cloud chambers and cathode ray tubes but neither of those convinces me.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Tell me what I will like" is a hard question to answer.

I will say that you and I have different ideas about what is long-term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment

Half the school year is gone. You probably will be in better shape by starting something soon than waiting for the perfect project.

Related to Long-term challenging physics project for high school

What are some examples of long-term challenging physics projects for high school students?

Examples of long-term challenging physics projects for high school students include building and testing a homemade telescope, designing and constructing a Rube Goldberg machine, creating a functioning model of a nuclear reactor, developing a project on renewable energy sources like a solar-powered car, and conducting an in-depth study on the physics of roller coasters.

How can students choose a suitable physics project topic?

Students can choose a suitable physics project topic by considering their interests, the resources available to them, the complexity of the project, and the time required to complete it. They should also consult with their teachers and mentors to ensure the topic is appropriate for their skill level and aligns with the curriculum.

What skills and knowledge are necessary for undertaking a long-term physics project?

Undertaking a long-term physics project requires a strong foundation in basic physics principles, problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and the ability to conduct experiments and analyze data. Students should also have good project management skills, including planning, time management, and the ability to work independently or in a team.

How can students effectively manage their time while working on a long-term physics project?

Students can effectively manage their time by breaking the project into smaller, manageable tasks, setting clear milestones and deadlines, creating a detailed project timeline, regularly reviewing their progress, and adjusting their plan as needed. They should also allocate specific times for research, experimentation, and documentation to ensure steady progress.

What resources are available to help students with their long-term physics projects?

Resources available to help students with their long-term physics projects include textbooks, online educational platforms, scientific journals, physics simulation software, and local libraries. Additionally, students can seek guidance from teachers, mentors, and professionals in the field, as well as participate in science clubs or online forums to collaborate and share ideas with peers.