Looking for a Problem Book in Real Analysis?

In summary, Demidovich is a book that has solutions that is recommended for someone who is already reading Rudin.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB,

I want to sharpen my analysis skills.

I am looking for a problem book in real analysis.

Anybody here knows a good one?

I use Rudin's Principle of Mathematical Analysis for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: problem book for real analysis

caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB,

I have been advised to read this book , seems a good one. Are you looking for a book that only contains problems ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
I have been advised to read this book , seems a good one. Are you looking for a book that only contains problems ?
Hello Zaid,

Yes, I was looking for a book which contains only problems (and may contain solutions).

Here is a book with solutions.

Don't know how available this book is, but Demidovich is the standard exercise book in the mathematics department of Moscow State University. There is also an Anti-Demidovich (a book of solutions).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Don't know how available this book is, but Demidovich is the standard exercise book in the mathematics department of Moscow State University. There is also an Anti-Demidovich (a book of solutions).
Place the Demidovich book on a table and throw the Anti-Demidovich book at it. Do they annihilate each other?

(Rofl)Hahahahahahahahaha...(Giggle)Hahahaha... :) Haha...Ummmm I'm going to go hide now. (Wasntme)

-Dan

caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB,

Hi caffeinemachine, :)

Schaums Outline of Advanced Calculus by R. Wrede, M. Spiegel might be a good one.

topsquark said:
Place the Demidovich book on a table and throw the Anti-Demidovich book at it. Do they annihilate each other?
They may not annihilate, but throwing one on top of the other may break the table. Demidovich has over 600 pages, and Anti-Demidovich consists of five volumes for the total of over 1500 pages (though the last two volumes are about complex analysis and differential equations). But there are many places where both books (in Russian, at least) can be downloaded.

I've viewed Demidovich online and I think if you are already reading Rudin, then unless I've seen the wrong book Demidovich is going to be too elementary. I would say maybe try the Kaczor and Nowak volumes (I, II, III).

Prometheus said:
I've viewed Demidovich online and I think if you are already reading Rudin, then unless I've seen the wrong book Demidovich is going to be too elementary. I would say maybe try the Kaczor and Nowak volumes (I, II, III).

I thought the same of Demidovich. Thanks for your suggestion. I will check the books out as soon as I can.

FAQ: Looking for a Problem Book in Real Analysis?

1. What is a problem book for real analysis?

A problem book for real analysis is a collection of exercises and problems designed to help students develop their understanding and skills in the field of real analysis. It typically covers topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series.

2. How can a problem book for real analysis help me?

A problem book for real analysis can help you improve your problem-solving abilities, deepen your understanding of key concepts, and prepare for exams. By practicing with a variety of problems, you can strengthen your skills and build confidence in your knowledge of real analysis.

3. Who can benefit from using a problem book for real analysis?

A problem book for real analysis can benefit students at various levels, from introductory to advanced. It can be useful for undergraduate and graduate students studying mathematics or related fields, as well as for self-study by anyone interested in improving their understanding of real analysis.

4. Are there any recommended problem books for real analysis?

Yes, there are many problem books for real analysis available. Some popular ones include "Problems in Mathematical Analysis" by B.P. Demidovich, "Problems in Real Analysis: Advanced Calculus on the Real Axis" by Teodora-Liliana Radulescu, and "Real Analysis: A Problem Solving Approach" by Thomas S. Shores.

5. How can I make the most out of using a problem book for real analysis?

To make the most out of using a problem book for real analysis, it is important to actively engage with the problems and solutions. Make sure to read the problem carefully, attempt to solve it on your own before looking at the solution, and then review the solution to understand the reasoning behind it. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a tutor or professor if you get stuck on a problem.