Looking for MCNP tutorials for a beginner

jorgenbill
wanted to learn the MCNP for my research, but need some help, don't know nothing about that.
There some step by step tutorial in youtube or website focus on that.
Wanna make one analysis in one HTGR reactor in the case

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums @jorgenbill

There is a new version of the MCNP Primer by J Kenneth Shultis and Amir A Bahadori and there is simply no reason to start anywhere else.

I also rate the MCNP Guide by Dr Andy Boston. Especially as that covers the simulation of 'real' events like counts on a neutron detector, which after a full reading of the manual I didn't understand until I read this guide.

If you need specific stuff the manual for 6.3 is good and public, but a long read. I would consult this before any other version of the manual even if your MCNP version is not 6.3

A few warnings. MCNP is a program written over a period of 50ish years by smart people for the use of smart people and it's going to feel crazy and confusing at the start. The methods are very clever, often not obvious and the error messages frequently don't seem to identify to the cause of the problem. Ride the wave of chaos, try to enjoy discovering how to make the program work and some of the methods it uses.

Also there are a number of people in this forum with a good grasp of the program. So if you get stuck, do ask for help.

Good luck!

• Informative
Likes berkeman