LP objective function with unknown parameters

In summary, the speaker is struggling with minimization and maximization problems with unknown parameters in the objective function. They provide an example of a function and conditions, and express a need to understand the approach for similar examples. Another speaker suggests drawing the lines and function on a cartesian plane to determine the areas and vertices, but notes that the optimal solution will depend on the unknown parameter, making it difficult to determine the maximum and minimum values. The speaker asks for clarification on how to determine if the problem has an optimal solution or not.
Mark J.
Hi All,

I am struggling with minimization(maximization) problems which needs to be solved graphically but they have unknown parameter in objective function:

For example:

f = 2x_1 + \lambda x_2(min)

for conditions:

-x_1 + x_2 \leq 3
x_1 + 2x_2 \leq 12
3x_1 -x_2 \leq 15
x_i \geq 0

More than solution I need to understand the way so I can proceed for similar examples

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark J. said:
Hi All,

I am struggling with minimization(maximization) problems which needs to be solved graphically but they have unknown parameter in objective function:

For example:

f = 2x_1 + \lambda x_2(min)

for conditions:

-x_1 + x_2 \leq 3
x_1 + 2x_2 \leq 12
3x_1 -x_2 \leq 15
x_i \geq 0

More than solution I need to understand the way so I can proceed for similar examples

Regards
I am having trouble reading this. can you redo it?

There are 4 straight lines limiting the search area and one as function f to minimize. Draw all 4 lines in cartesian coordinates, i.e a piece of paper with x_1 and x_2 axes. Then determine the areas defined by them (hatch them). Finally draw f and look whether you have to push it up or down to minimalize it's value. The searched point will be on the boundary you drew.

No it is not possible to determine max and min without knowing [itex]\lambda[/itex]. The basic "rule" of linear programming is that max and min of a linear function on a convex polygon occurs at a vertex. It is fairly easy to determine the vertices of the given convex polygon but when you evaluate f at the vertices, the value will depend upon[itex]\lambda[/itex] so that knowing which is largest and which is smallest will depend upon [itex]\lambda[/itex].

So how to determine when problem has optimal solution. infinite or no solution depending on lambda??

Related to LP objective function with unknown parameters

1. What is an LP objective function with unknown parameters?

An LP objective function with unknown parameters is a linear programming (LP) problem where one or more of the variables (parameters) in the function are unknown or uncertain. This means that the values of these parameters are not fixed and can vary, making it difficult to determine the optimal solution to the problem.

2. How is an LP objective function with unknown parameters different from a regular LP problem?

In a regular LP problem, all variables and coefficients in the objective function are known and fixed. However, in an LP objective function with unknown parameters, one or more variables are unknown and can take on different values, making the problem more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What are some common methods for solving LP objective functions with unknown parameters?

Some common methods for solving LP objective functions with unknown parameters include sensitivity analysis, scenario analysis, and robust optimization. These methods take into account the uncertainty in the parameters and help find a solution that is robust and less sensitive to changes in the parameter values.

4. How can one determine the optimal solution to an LP objective function with unknown parameters?

There is no single method to determine the optimal solution to an LP objective function with unknown parameters. It depends on the specific problem and the available information. However, using sensitivity analysis and scenario analysis can help identify a range of possible solutions and determine the most robust one.

5. What are some real-world applications of LP objective functions with unknown parameters?

LP objective functions with unknown parameters are commonly used in industries such as finance, logistics, and supply chain management. They can be applied to problems such as portfolio optimization, inventory management, and resource allocation, where there is uncertainty in certain parameters that can affect the optimal solution.