Magnet inside a solenoid with current

Heisenberg7
What would happen if we tried forcing a bar magnet into a magnetic field created by a solenoid (look at the picture)? Assume that both the bar magnet and the solenoid are isolated form any other source of a magnetic field. What I am thinking:

First of all, if we tried forcing the north side in, it would simply get repelled and we wouldn't be able to get it inside. Now, if we tried forcing in the south side of the bar magnet, it would get attracted so the solenoid would work as a catapult.

When it comes to the first sentence, I think that should happen but, I am not sure what happens when we turn the bar magnet around. Also, would the induced emf play a significant role in this case?

Thanks in advance
1721162284684.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What do mean "what would happen"?

Please post the actual question.

Heisenberg7 said:
First of all, if we tried forcing the north side in, it would simply get repelled and we wouldn't be able to get it inside.
You could push it inside if you have enough force to overcome the opposing magnetic fields.

Heisenberg7 said:
would the induced emf play a significant role in this case?
Well, it's there. Whether it's significant depends on a complete problem description. You haven't described your energy source for the coil, so I don't know if a bit of extra voltage matters or not. Significance depends entirely on the details.

Likes jim mcnamara
Vanadium 50 said:
What do mean "what would happen"?

Please post the actual question.
I guess I should've been more clear. I would like to find the direction of the force ##F_{bar, sol}## (on bar, due to solenoid) if I was to push the bar magnet inside the solenoid with some force ##F##. Does that force stay constant along the whole path (if the magnet starts moving into the solenoid)? Assume that ##F_{bar, sol} > F##. Show what would happen if we were to turn the bar magnet around (basically flipping the field of the bar magnet). Assume that the solenoid is static. Also, I would like to verify if my statement is correct under these circumstances. The statement:

First of all, if we tried forcing the north side in, it would simply get repelled and we wouldn't be able to get it inside. Now, if we tried forcing in the south side of the bar magnet, it would get attracted so the solenoid would work as a catapult.

By the way, this is just a question, I'm not trying to solve a problem.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
You could push it inside if you have enough force to overcome the opposing magnetic fields.
Well, of course, but let's assume that ##F_{bar, sol} > F_{push}##. Assume that the solenoid is static. Also, check my other reply for the other inconsistencies.

DaveE said:
Well, it's there. Whether it's significant depends on a complete problem description. You haven't described your energy source for the coil, so I don't know if a bit of extra voltage matters or not. Significance depends entirely on the details.
For the sake of it, let's assume that the solenoid is connected to a 3V battery. What would happen if we were to increase voltage? Check my other replies for the other inconsistencies.

I would like to give you some numbers.
##B_{bar} = 10^{-4} T, U = 3 V, I = 1 A, N = 1000, L = 1 cm \implies B_{sol} = 0.126 T##
You may use these numbers, but I'd like to find the answer to my question in general (##F_{bar, sol} > F_{push}##).