Magnitude of the Magnetic Field at point P

In summary: This is the angle between the line connecting lower wire and the point and the horizontal line.No, ##\theta## is the angle at the lower wire. This is the angle between the line connecting lower wire and the point and the horizontal line.In summary, we discussed the calculation of the magnetic field at a point ##P## perpendicular to two long wires carrying currents in opposite directions. The magnetic fields add up in the y direction and cancel out in the x direction, leading to a net magnetic field given by ##B_{wire}=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi r}\sin\theta##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the connecting line from one wire to point ##P## and the perpendicular bisector
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Two long wires (in cross section) that each carry a current ##i## directly out of the page. What is the magnitude of the field at point ##P##, which lies on the perpendicular bisector to the wires?
fu4cq8.jpg

Homework Equations

##B_{wire}=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused as to how the magnetic fields are adding up. The magnetic fields produced by a wire are given by the right hand rule, thumb in direction of current, then the way your fingers curl is the direction of the magnetic field. However, I just can't see whether or not they will cancel or add at this point.

Here is a picture I drew of the currents however this doesn't give the correct answer :
2vnewyp.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to decompose the magnetic fields to x and y components where x is horizontal and y is vertical, which component would cancel according to that picture?

blue_leaf77 said:
If you were to decompose the magnetic fields to x and y components where x is horizontal and y is vertical, which component would cancel according to that picture?
The x components would cancel and the y components would add, my textbook has the opposite of this happening oddly enough.

Potatochip911 said:
my textbook has the opposite of this happening oddly enough.
May be they use different definition for the axes. Anyway, the y component will double and therefore it's sufficient to calculate only this component.

blue_leaf77 said:
May be they use different definition for the axes. Anyway, the y component will double and therefore it's sufficient to calculate only this component.
Here is their solution:
347viaf.jpg

For some reason they are using ##\sin\theta## instead, it really doesn't make any sense to me. This is the result you would get if you considered the magnetic fields to be acting like electric fields in that they are traveling straight towards the point ##P## since then the y components would cancel and the x components would be kept.

The solution is correct, it should be sine. According to the solution, ##\theta## is the angle subtended by the connecting line between one of the wires and point P and the ##d_1## line. Now, draw a small arrow representing the magnetic field from one of the wire (let's take the lower one) at point P. This vector should be perpendicular to the connecting line between the lower wire and point P. From there, decompose this vector into its x and y components and figure out where the angle ##\theta## should be placed among the components.

Likes Potatochip911
blue_leaf77 said:
The solution is correct, it should be sine. According to the solution, ##\theta## is the angle subtended by the connecting line between one of the wires and point P and the ##d_1## line. Now, draw a small arrow representing the magnetic field from one of the wire (let's take the lower one) at point P. This vector should be perpendicular to the connecting line between the lower wire and point P. From there, decompose this vector into its x and y components and figure out where the angle ##\theta## should be placed among the components.
Thanks it makes sense now, I completely forgot that ##\vec{B}## is perpendicular.

blue_leaf77 said:

Actually I'm not sure what I was thinking before because I still got it being ##\cos\theta##, maybe there is something wrong with my geometry? Edit: Actually I think I just used a different angle
2r1zhih.png

No, ##\theta## is the angle at the lower wire.

FAQ: Magnitude of the Magnetic Field at point P

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at that particular point. It is denoted by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

How is the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P calculated?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire to point P.

What factors affect the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is affected by several factors, including the strength of the current, the distance from the current-carrying wire, and the permeability of the material around the wire.

How does the direction of the current affect the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P?

The direction of the current has a significant impact on the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P. If the current is flowing parallel to the wire, the magnetic field will be stronger. However, if the current is flowing perpendicular to the wire, the magnetic field will be weaker.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of the magnetic field at point P?

The magnitude of the magnetic field at point P is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equivalent to one newton per ampere-meter (N/A·m) and one gauss is equal to 1/10,000 of a tesla.

Back