Many rejections - Not knowing why

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ProbablyNotMe
  • Start date
In summary: position?" "describe a problem that you solved using your expertise." "can you walk me through one of your codes?" "can you tell me about a project you were involved with?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to manage a team?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to learn something quickly?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to lead or contribute to a project?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to work on a deadline?" "tell me about a time when you had to do something you didn't enjoy?" "tell me about a time when you had
Dale said:
The years in your PhD are counted as experience. So you should have about 6 years of experience, not 0.
I have forgotten some of the pieces in this topic or thread, but in case original poster tries to get any job outside of his field, he has 0 years of experience in place of the phD years of experience. But within his field, one could only guess how Human Resource departments would treat this.

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
I have forgotten some of the pieces in this topic or thread, but in case original poster tries to get any job outside of his field, he has 0 years of experience in place of the phD years of experience. But within his field, one could only guess how Human Resource departments would treat this.
As a former hiring manager in a technology company we consider a PhD to be experience. And after hiring our HR department uses the PhD time in the years of experience for pay increases.

We don’t try to make a judgement like that, we just consider it as experience. If we consider the PhD irrelevant then we just don’t hire them. If we hire them then it is assumed to be relevant and counts as experience.

russ_watters said:
Is that really the best you can say about your work history?
@russ_watters , I think what you and the other posters -- particularly those who do not come from a recent immigrant background -- do not understand or appreciate is that the OP is an immigrant to Canada (ostensibly from somewhere outside of Europe), which in itself is a barrier to employment in STEM fields, or any higher-paying "prestige" fields (especially if the OP lives in the province of Quebec, where I have heard anecdotal reports of far greater prejudice directed at immigrant groups there, particularly if immigrants are from Africa or the Middle East).

In such a circumstance, it is far from unusual for even relatively well-educated people to struggle finding employment.

Last edited:
StatGuy2000 said:
@russ_watters , I think what you and the other posters -- particularly those who do not come from a recent immigrant background -- do not understand or appreciate is that the OP is an immigrant to Canada (ostensibly from somewhere outside of Europe), which in itself is a barrier to employment in STEM fields, or any higher-paying "prestige" fields (especially if the OP lives in the province of Quebec, where I have heard anecdotal reports of far greater prejudice directed at immigrant groups there, particularly if immigrants are from Africa or the Middle East).

In such a circumstance, it is far from unusual for even relatively well-educated people to struggle finding employment.
Fair enough. I don't really know how that affects employment prospects, particularly in Canada, but I would imagine; 1) such discrimination is illegal and 2) there are immigrants who have jobs in Quebec, even from Africa/ME. How prevalent such discrimination is even illegally (or even legally if there is a legitimate skills gap) I don't know. That wasn't really my point though. I wasn't being incredulous as to why the OP was unable to find an in-field job in 3+ years, I was expressing concern that he hasn't shown interest in holding any job consistently for 3+ years.

Not being able to find a job in 3+ years isn't a great look, but I suspect due to COVID there's a lot of hiring managers erasing the past 18 months from memory when it comes to unemployment. But only having jobs "sporadically" is an actual bad look. Anyway, I'll give a more specific reply:
ProbablyNotMe said:
I have never worked for less than a year for a job, and when I left it wasn't my decision. But I don't take any job just to demonstrate I am reliable. They can inquire about my reliability from the references I provide. I prefer to work on my skills instead and develop personal projects to get better chances than stacking the shelves for 8 hours a day and then left with no time and energy at the end of the day to do anything else.
As enigmatic of a reply as that is, it doesn't quite address the direct concern (why, exactly, is your employment history "sporadic"?). Regardless, on Page 1 you said you were rejected from an internship for being over-qualified academically and not having enough practical experience, and your solution to this problem is to get more academic skills. I know the set of feedback is limited, but don't you see you are doing exactly the opposite of what the feedback would imply you should?
So, if I work as a Pizza delivery person, then I should include it in my resume when applying for an R&D position based on my PhD degree...
Yes. As a job it may be basically worthless but it is almost certainly better than trying to explain why you have chosen to only work sporadically.
...and that proves I am reliable as a researcher...
No, it proves you are a reliable employee.
...and this is better than not having a paid job but doing some professional development through courses and personal projects?
What I said above aside, you targeted the lowest quality job you could think of as a basis for comparison. That's not what I mean, though if taken literally to the extreme it could imply that. I mean taking the best job you could get in a short time/effort (because who would purposely go after the worst job they could think of?). Contract work? Random office job doing data entry or programming/analysis? I have a hard time believing you couldn't get and hold a job with >0 value.

Last edited:
Some reflections fwiw

ProbablyNotMe said:
I did get a job for almost two years as postdoc almost immediately after I graduated, but things went south from there.
1) How south? Any chance someone is giving you bad reference, if someone checks upon it?

ProbablyNotMe said:
That's what I am thinking, the gap is now snowballing. Recruiters/hiring mangers see the gaps and think "OK this guy is not employable/looks suspicious. Next". As someone else mentioned, it's easier to get a job while having a job.
2) About gaps in the resume. In order to not give people the idea that there is something sus there, try to fill out the gaps with something, like a startup business project, research project, additional educations or courses or whatever or other things and flesh it out. It will at least show that the gaps in traditional employments does not imply doing nothing, and you could well have been very busy and ambitous still. And if if your happen to have a bad herring in the resume, you could consider removing it from the list.

/Fredrik

Likes russ_watters
ProbablyNotMe said:
I have never worked for less than a year for a job, and when I left it wasn't my decision. But I don't take any job just to demonstrate I am reliable. They can inquire about my reliability from the references I provide. I prefer to work on my skills instead and develop personal projects to get better chances than stacking the shelves for 8 hours a day and then left with no time and energy at the end of the day to do anything else.
Is there a chance that you may unconsiously be communicating an attitude that you are a skilled researcher and that what you REALLY want is to do your research but that you are looking for a temporary job, until you get a better opportunity?

As many jobs takes years of experience to learn industry/business/company specific things that are of non-academic nature because some things are even proprietary corporate information. This means that one would not even think of employing anyone that is "likely" to quit the job upon the next opportunity.

I have experience with applicants from researchers (in RELEVANT fields, well qualified) looking for a job in a tech business where it was clear that he was looking for a industri/business job, BECAUSE he didn't get the 50%reserach/50%teaching position he really wanted. This person, even well qualified, would STILL need years of training in product specifics, and would likely not stay that long anyone, so the appliation never reached the table, as i sorted it out directly.

/Fredrik

Likes ohwilleke and russ_watters
Fra said:
Is there a chance that you may unconsiously be communicating an attitude that you are a skilled researcher and that what you REALLY want is to do your research but that you are looking for a temporary job, until you get a better opportunity?

As many jobs takes years of experience to learn industry/business/company specific things that are of non-academic nature because some things are even proprietary corporate information. This means that one would not even think of employing anyone that is "likely" to quit the job upon the next opportunity.

I have experience with applicants from researchers (in RELEVANT fields, well qualified) looking for a job in a tech business where it was clear that he was looking for a industri/business job, BECAUSE he didn't get the 50%reserach/50%teaching position he really wanted. This person, even well qualified, would STILL need years of training in product specifics, and would likely not stay that long anyone, so the appliation never reached the table, as i sorted it out directly.

/Fredrik

What's wrong with applicants who want a job in the industry because they couldn't get into the academia? What should they do in your opinion? I did 2 years postdoc, but had I given proper advice by my PhD supervisor who didn't care at all in all aspects of my career during and after my PhD, I would have taken internships in companies while I was doing my PhD, and went to the industry directly, and got a decent and stable job. I didn't know better then. But of course I don't say or hint this during interviews. I express my interest in the job and company, and many jobs I applied for were research in nature. Many PhDs went to the industry after years of academic research because, simply put, the number of academic positions is limited compared to the number of PhD graduates. I know someone who did postdocs not for 2 but for 5 years, and has a strong publication record, yet he eventually switched to the industry because academia was a dead end for him.

Last edited:
ProbablyNotMe said:
What's wrong with applicants who want a job in the industry because they couldn't get into the academia? What should they do in your opinion? I did 2 years postdoc, but had I given proper advice by my PhD supervisor who didn't care at all in all aspects of my career during and after my PhD, I would have taken internships in companies while I was doing my PhD, and went to the industry directly, and got a decent and stable job. I didn't know better then. But of course I don't say or hint this during interviews. I express my interest in the job and company, and many jobs I applied for were research in nature. Many PhDs went to the industry after years of academic research because, simply put, the number of academic positions is limited compared to the number of PhD graduates. I know someone who did postdocs not for 2 but for 5 years, and has a strong publication record, yet he eventually switched to the industry because academia was a dead end for him.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a job in industry of course! And while I can symphatize with struggling between personal interests and getting food on the table. Alot of ppl struggles with this I think.

My only point trying to guess what would be issues as per your description is that: MAYBE disappointment and the view that the industry is a non-preferred option for you "shines through", even if you do not actually say it. People that do hiring do a lot of reading in between the lines, and it's not just what you say but how you put it, and wether it seems to make sense or of the totaly picuture getting communicated is still that "here is someone that wants to do research in academia, but says he wants to work for us. Most companies also consider the first years of a new employed as a cost, so hiring someone that is likely to drop out before the red figures turn green is a bad strategy. If this is the case perhaps the rhetorics in the applications can be adjusted?

Did you ask someone for advice, to read your applications and tell you what impression they get (not knowing you)? It's always hard to judge yourself.

/Fredrik

Fra said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a job in industry of course! And while I can symphatize with struggling between personal interests and getting food on the table. Alot of ppl struggles with this I think.

My only point trying to guess what would be issues as per your description is that: MAYBE disappointment and the view that the industry is a non-preferred option for you "shines through", even if you do not actually say it. People that do hiring do a lot of reading in between the lines, and it's not just what you say but how you put it, and wether it seems to make sense or of the totaly picuture getting communicated is still that "here is someone that wants to do research in academia, but says he wants to work for us. Most companies also consider the first years of a new employed as a cost, so hiring someone that is likely to drop out before the red figures turn green is a bad strategy. If this is the case perhaps the rhetorics in the applications can be adjusted?

Did you ask someone for advice, to read your applications and tell you what impression they get (not knowing you)? It's always hard to judge yourself.

/Fredrik

I don't think I have any indications in my resume that I would join the academia, other than my postdoc position. That's why I said, if I knew better, I wouldn't have done it. Even without internships, companies hire fresh PhD graduates. Yes, my postdoc has something to do with it, I suspect, but it's not the only reason, because others did postdocs and got hired. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is, and there is no one to point that out to me in an honest feedback. And thus this thread.

Have you considered working for a non-profit like Engineers Without Borders to develop references who have seen your work and to show that you are "fresh" and engaged in the profession. With the passage of time you may be getting a lemon effect with everyone assuming that you're still looking because someone else decided they didn't want you when it was really just bad luck.

Another thought would be to look for positions in a different geographical area where the market is hotter, or the competition isn't as great.

Likes ProbablyNotMe
f95toli said:
I suspect this depends on the job. When we hire people as researchers we generally look for fairly specific (and sometimes unusual) skills, meaning a CV which hasn't to some extent been tailored to the role we are advertising is extremely unlikely to go down well.
Also, our HR department will always do the initial screening meaning any any incomplete/or "strange" CVs will get rejected by them before they ever reach me.
I guess the "shotgun" approach might work if you are applying to more "standardised" job roles, but probably not for R&D positions.
Why would a CV be "strange" while using the shotgun method? You put all the skills you have to offer on your CV, and you target it for whatever type of job you want to get. And then you mass apply 100 per day. How does that make the CV "strange?" It would contain your competencies and what you're looking for. If that didn't cut it, I doubt anything additional would.

If you have a very specific position that you want to apply for, meaning that you are only wanting to apply to one or two job posts, then the shotgun method doesn't make any sense. But applying to just a handful of jobs doesn't make any sense to me, either.

[post edited by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Zap said:
Why would a CV be "strange" while using the shotgun method? You put all the skills you have to offer on your CV, and you target it for whatever type of job you want to get. And then you mass apply 100 per day. How does that make the CV "strange?"
Whether or not it is "strange" doesn't depend on the method. However, a CV which e.g. starts with a paragraph describing why the applicant is really, really interested in antenna design might get filtered out (whoever is looking at is will stop reading) if the job ad is for a role in condensed matter physics (real world example...). Another example might be someone starting their CV with a description of where they grew up...

Even if you are using the "shotgun" method the CV needs to be relevant for the job role; and I think there is a risk that your CV ends up being too bland if you are trying to use the same CV/skills for very different roles.
An obvious way around this is to have a few different CVs and then choose the one that fits the best to that particular role.

Remember that the people who are doing hiring might have to look through many tens or hundreds of CVs before they decide who to interview; your CV is very, very important and ideally you should have some "keywords" that are directly relevant to the role at the start of your CV; do NOT assume that someone will carefully read your whole CV unless you give them a good reason to.

Likes Timo
If you're trying to apply to hyper specialized roles like antenna design, you can't use the shotgun method, because you won't be able to find 100 antenna design job posts to apply to.

OP mentioned an interest in data science. Data analytics, data science, business analytics, IT, etc, or the broad field of IT/data analytics/development are perfect for the shotgun method, because they all list similar skills and you can easily find 100 job posts per day to apply to. Something like PhD in antenna design wouldn't work. You would find like 5 job posts per month to even respond to. That's way too specialized for OP, anyway. He/she is just trying to break out of university.

I would suggest OP to look into consulting firms. They will take people from random backgrounds. The ability to learn new things is a vital skill for a new consultant. Sometimes, you don't need any skills, just the ability to learn the skills they want you to learn quickly.

My friend went through a paid data engineering training that was paid for by a consulting firm, and now he works as a data engineer making around 60k. They will abuse you at first, and you won't be making six figures, but it's a break into the industry.

Last edited:
ProbablyNotMe, in your interviews what type of salary did you expect, if they asked that question? It might be the economy or the areas where you are applying do not want to pay for your skill set.

osilmag said:
ProbablyNotMe, in your interviews what type of salary did you expect, if they asked that question? It might be the economy or the areas where you are applying do not want to pay for your skill set.
The majority of my applications are not acknowledged in the first place, and the majority of the handful phone screening interviews I did didn't ask that question. But when I prepare for the interviews, I would search the range of salaries for the positions I am applying for in the area where I am applying, and chose a range at the lower end of the broader range. I don't think this is the issue though. My issues I believe are lack industry experience, limited connections, I have had trouble convincing recruiters and hiring managers of my skills when my resume go through, and now my employment gaps.

ProbablyNotMe said:
The majority of my applications are not acknowledged in the first place, and the majority of the handful phone screening interviews I did didn't ask that question. But when I prepare for the interviews, I would search the range of salaries for the positions I am applying for in the area where I am applying, and chose a range at the lower end of the broader range. I don't think this is the issue though. My issues I believe are lack industry experience, limited connections, I have had trouble convincing recruiters and hiring managers of my skills when my resume go through, and now my employment gaps.
Try the Semiconductor industry. They assume you're not already an expert and train you.

bob012345 said:
Try the Semiconductor industry. They assume you're not already an expert and train you.
Why would they train me in something I have no prior experience? I couldn't get internships in my PhD field, although I think it was mainly because I applied to internships after I finished my postdoctoral research position. I wasn't aware of this at the time, and didn't get any guidance from my PhD supervisor regarding this.

ProbablyNotMe said:
Why would they train me in something I have no prior experience? I couldn't get internships in my PhD field, although I think it was mainly because I applied to internships after I finished my postdoctoral research position. I wasn't aware of this at the time, and didn't get any guidance from my PhD supervisor regarding this.
Because almost nobody has prior experience coming fresh out of college to jump right in and do the specific jobs at a semiconductor company. They have a technical background but usually no specifics. Rarely do companies hire new PhD's solely or mainly because of their direct research. They hire them because they earned a PhD in some relevant field. If you are thinking you must get a job directly related to your research project you are limiting yourself.

Semiconductor companies hire people from all backgrounds such as physics, chemistry and engineering. Nobody graduates with all the specific knowledge to do the different jobs. Everybody get trained by the group that hires them to do specific jobs.

Likes russ_watters
bob012345 said:
Because almost nobody has prior experience coming fresh out of college to jump right in and do the specific jobs at a semiconductor company. They have a technical background but usually no specifics. Rarely do companies hire new PhD's solely or mainly because of their direct research. They hire them because they earned a PhD in some relevant field. If you are thinking you must get a job directly related to your research project you are limiting yourself.

Semiconductor companies hire people from all backgrounds such as physics, chemistry and engineering. Nobody graduates with all the specific knowledge to do the different jobs. Everybody get trained by the group that hires them to do specific jobs.
I would adapt more quickly in telecomm companies with minimal training than with semiconductor companies that require hardware design. I would say that for many positions in giant telecomm companies, I would start almost immediately if given the chance. Nevertheless, I didn't get any positive responses from them, and I received feedbacks saying I don't have direct experience in what they need, like that I don't have enough experience in C++, or that I didn't work directly with X technology, although a week reading would be enough to grasp it for me. That's why I said why would semiconductor companies train me. It goes against my experience in that companies have no interest in training new employees, not because I am applying only to positions where I can hit the ground running.

@ProbablyNotMe , you stated that you are currently based in Canada. If you don't mind my asking, what province are you currently living in?

I ask this because the job market can differ substantially depending on the province you live, or the particular city or town within the province you live in.

For example, the job market in or near Toronto, Ontario is very different from the job market in say, Winnipeg, Manitoba or Montreal, Quebec.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I would adapt more quickly in telecomm companies with minimal training than with semiconductor companies that require hardware design. I would say that for many positions in giant telecomm companies, I would start almost immediately if given the chance. Nevertheless, I didn't get any positive responses from them, and I received feedbacks saying I don't have direct experience in what they need, like that I don't have enough experience in C++, or that I didn't work directly with X technology, although a week reading would be enough to grasp it for me. That's why I said why would semiconductor companies train me. It goes against my experience in that companies have no interest in training new employees, not because I am applying only to positions where I can hit the ground running.
Perhaps we have different ideas about what training means...I don't mean sending you to school to learn chemistry if you are an electrical engineer. I mean you do need to have relevant expertise.

However, it could be that since you did a postdoc they do not see you as a fresh out of school student they want hire and train but as an experienced worker with none of the right experience. Perhaps you should try joining a research group in academia. Only this time you interview them try to get in one that is doing interesting and practical work. Latch onto some professor with deep ties to industry. Then jumping from there to industry might be easier.

StatGuy2000 said:
@ProbablyNotMe , you stated that you are currently based in Canada. If you don't mind my asking, what province are you currently living in?

I ask this because the job market can differ substantially depending on the province you live, or the particular city or town within the province you live in.

For example, the job market in or near Toronto, Ontario is very different from the job market in say, Winnipeg, Manitoba or Montreal, Quebec.

All I can say is that I have been applying all over Canada, and if I am asked if I am willing to relocate in an application I always answer 'Yes'. I am not limiting myself to where I live.

bob012345 said:
Perhaps we have different ideas about what training means...I don't mean sending you to school to learn chemistry if you are an electrical engineer. I mean you do need to have relevant expertise.

However, it could be that since you did a postdoc they do not see you as a fresh out of school student they want hire and train but as an experienced worker with none of the right experience. Perhaps you should try joining a research group in academia. Only this time you interview them try to get in one that is doing interesting and practical work. Latch onto some professor with deep ties to industry. Then jumping from there to industry might be easier.
Electrical Engineering has numerous specialties. I took a couple of courses in electronics in my undergraduate studies, and that's it. That's why I don't think I would be trained in a semiconductor company: I don't have enough background to be trained.

I have been trying with my PhD and postdoctoral supervisors, but both seem to know little in the industry (they don't prefer to work with the industry in their research). I am trying to secure another postdoc position now, to refresh my skills and update my knowledge, but so far had no luck. I am afraid, even for a postdoc, my CV doesn't look good with 3 years of employment gaps, and 4 years not working in my field, not to mention finishing my PhD more than 5 years ago! I am realizing now that I made the mistake of focusing my applications within Canada. I have better chances elsewhere (US and UE) in normal situations.

Ok, I'm pulling out the big guns...:)

Since you appear to fall through all the cracks there is nothing else to do but figure out what critical problem you are most passionate about and create some kind of solution in the form of a business model. In other words start a company and change the world. Create your own reality. You may be doomed to be a billionaire.

I'm not being flippant. That may be your calling since you don't appear to 'fit' in the system.

ProbablyNotMe said:
All I can say is that I have been applying all over Canada, and if I am asked if I am willing to relocate in an application I always answer 'Yes'. I am not limiting myself to where I live.
Fair enough. But keep in mind that employers in Canada tend to prefer to hire "locally". In other words, job candidates geographically closest to them will necessarily be among the "top tier" candidates.

So in other words, if there are many jobs in a given area (e.g. Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, etc.), it pays to already be living there or within driving distance to those locations.

Also, you never did explicitly state this, but without getting too specific -- what is your ethnic background? As I've pointed out before, here in Canada, immigrants from the Middle East/North Africa and African countries have the greatest difficulties in securing employment.

ProbablyNotMe said:
Electrical Engineering has numerous specialties. I took a couple of courses in electronics in my undergraduate studies, and that's it. That's why I don't think I would be trained in a semiconductor company: I don't have enough background to be trained.

I have been trying with my PhD and postdoctoral supervisors, but both seem to know little in the industry (they don't prefer to work with the industry in their research). I am trying to secure another postdoc position now, to refresh my skills and update my knowledge, but so far had no luck. I am afraid, even for a postdoc, my CV doesn't look good with 3 years of employment gaps, and 4 years not working in my field, not to mention finishing my PhD more than 5 years ago! I am realizing now that I made the mistake of focusing my applications within Canada. I have better chances elsewhere (US and UE) in normal situations.
Getting another postdoc at this stage is frankly a waste of time, as these focus on academic positions which are few and far between (within Canada and elsewhere in the world). If your goal is to seek a private sector job, you need skills that the private sector needs. And depending on your specialty in electrical engineering, those opportunities may or may not be readily available.

As I've asked before, where in Canada do you live? And what kinds of jobs (STEM or technical) are most abundant in your city/town that you live? My suggestion would be to do the following:

1 (a) Take a "survival job" i.e. jobs that don't require your education. That could be anything -- Uber or Lyft driver, construction worker, bartender, retail, etc. Anything that will pay for food, rent/housing costs, and the bills.

or

1 (b) Apply for welfare (e.g. Ontario Works) so that you have something to survive.

2. While you are pursuing your "survival job" or being on welfare, look at what education or training is required for the technical or STEM job that is most available, and then pursue that.

3. Apply to those technical positions.

4. Network, network, network!

5. Repeat steps 2-5.

StatGuy2000 said:
jobs in a given area (e.g. Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, etc.)
Is Berlin er...Kitchener not considered within driving distance of Toronto? I'd guess it's 90 minutes between University of Toronto and Perimeter, which is not so nice, but Kitchener to the western suburbs of Toronto seems more reasonable. Somewhere like Hamilton looks to be equally (in)convenient to both. I've certainly passed it enough!

StatGuy2000 said:
Getting another postdoc at this stage is frankly a waste of time, as these focus on academic positions which are few and far between (within Canada and elsewhere in the world). If your goal is to seek a private sector job, you need skills that the private sector needs. And depending on your specialty in electrical engineering, those opportunities may or may not be readily available.

As I've asked before, where in Canada do you live? And what kinds of jobs (STEM or technical) are most abundant in your city/town that you live? My suggestion would be to do the following:

1 (a) Take a "survival job" i.e. jobs that don't require your education. That could be anything -- Uber or Lyft driver, construction worker, bartender, retail, etc. Anything that will pay for food, rent/housing costs, and the bills.

or

1 (b) Apply for welfare (e.g. Ontario Works) so that you have something to survive.

2. While you are pursuing your "survival job" or being on welfare, look at what education or training is required for the technical or STEM job that is most available, and then pursue that.

3. Apply to those technical positions.

4. Network, network, network!

5. Repeat steps 2-5.

While I was working my last job, which I would say it was a "survival job", I was taking online courses on software development. After 8-hour shifts working on something else that need mental effort is challenging. I was waking up 3 am in the morning so I can work with focus before I start my job, since my job needed little mental effort. Towards the end of my job, which I didn't know the contract wouldn't be extended except in the last 10 days of my contract, I started to do personal projects using what I learned. I built 3 relatively large projects, and put the source codes on GitHub. I have been applying for jobs in software development in my city and in Canada as a whole for the last 9 months, with no luck. I received a couple of phone interviews, but no one expressed interest beyond that. What I am trying to say, taking a survival job, while learning a new thing is challenging, and will again take time and effort, and I would probably end in the same situation applying for months with no responses. I am discouraged to repeat the same experience.

Last edited:
I have a question: I am sending emails to my PhD supervisor explaining my situation to get some guidance and help from him, but he stopped responding, after he kept telling me just keep applying and don't give up. My knowledge in my field is now is outdated after 3 years of not working in the field. Is this a normal behavior from PhD supervisors not giving even suggestions to their previous PhD students? Obviously I cannot force him to help me or even to respond, but I believe he could help me. He has previous PhD and master students in the industry. He didn't help at all during my PhD thesis, and also after I finished to get my first job. Now I am worried he won't give me good recommendation because he stopped responding, and he is one of two references I have in my field!

Some questions to ask:
  1. How much time do you think your advisor should devote, per month, to all of his former students?
  2. What is your fair share of this?
  3. How much time do you think you are asking of him?
  4. In the last three months, you've gotten a lot of advice here, but haven't seemed to have acted on it. Is it possible your professor has made the same observation?
  5. Does your professor have any reason to consider you a Help Vampire?

Vanadium 50 said:
Some questions to ask:
  1. How much time do you think your advisor should devote, per month, to all of his former students?
  2. What is your fair share of this?
  3. How much time do you think you are asking of him?
  4. In the last three months, you've gotten a lot of advice here, but haven't seemed to have acted on it. Is it possible your professor has made the same observation?
  5. Does your professor have any reason to consider you a Help Vampire?
What do you mean by "haven't seemed to have acted on it"? I did almost everything I was told to do. I reached out to the people I know. I have kept applying and have started applying outside Canada. I am still taking courses for professional development. I am reading in the literature. I am trying to connect with other professionals on LinkedIn for job leads they post, share or like. What else I didn't do?

I understand my PhD supervisor is busy, but I am not a stranger who is asking for help or guidance. And my supervisor told me only this: keep applying and don't give up, which I kept doing. He didn't tell me something I didn't do to make the conclusion I am not doing what he is asking me to do.

So far as I can tell, you are asking the exact same questions as in April. Let's look upthread at Choppy's advice in message #12, which you dismissed in #13 saying you did this years ago, and besides, you don't want us to diagnose your problem. That doesn't seem like taking advice to me.

But you should answer the questions I posed. If you don't want to post the answers here, that's your choice, of course, but you should think about them.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is, and there is no one to point that out to me in an honest feedback. And thus this thread.
I once had a boss who gave me a bad review but would not tell me what the problem was only that I had to figure that out on my own. Your supervisor should be more supportive unless your are calling every day or something. PhD supervisor/student should be a lifelong relationship.

Likes ProbablyNotMe
bob012345 said:
I once had a boss who gave me a bad review but would not tell me what the problem was only that I had to figure that out on my own. Your supervisor should be more supportive unless your are calling every day or something. PhD supervisor/student should be a lifelong relationship.
In the last 6 years, I contacted my PhD supervisor 4-6 times, the last of which was 2 weeks ago, and I only asked him a favor to forward me any postdoc or research positions he might be receiving from his colleagues via email, which he said he would do in the correspondence between him and me before that, which was few months ago. I totally understand he is busy, and he gives priority to his current students, but I don't understand ignoring me.

How can I know if someone is giving me a bad review? Is it typical for companies to unofficially or officially do a background check on me with previous employers/supervisors before they extend an offer?

ProbablyNotMe said:
In the last 6 years, I contacted him 4-6 times, the last of which was 2 weeks ago. I totally understand he is busy, and he gives priority to his current students, but I don't understand ignoring me.

How can I know if someone is giving me a bad review? Is it typical for companies to unofficially or officially do a background check on me with previous employers/supervisors before they extend an offer?
The review I referred to was in person, the annual employee review. We all have issues but when the managers need bodies they tell you how wonderful you are. When their bosses make them to make cuts, all your faults come to the surface. Most managers are not jerks but sometimes they are forced to be.

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint