Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe: Find & Explore Here!

In summary, does anyone know where I can find the map animation of the galaxy / nearby galaxy cluster that illustrate the geometry between Earth and M87 at the 29th minute in the Netflix show?
Flatwhite
Does anyone know where I can find the map animation of the galaxy / nearby galaxy cluster that illustrate the geometry between Earth and M87 at the 29th minute in the Netflix show ?

Alternatively if that's not a public source, can anyone recommend a publicly available "map of the universe", I'd love to be able to zoom out from earth to give my daughter a sense of scale of the universe.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It was easy enough to find on Youtube:

An interactive map that goes from Earth-scale to galactic might be harder to find. Celestia (free planetarium software) lets you zoom out roughly to as far as Andromeda. But it's not as clear to see what's you're looking at as with such schematic animations like the one above.
link: https://celestia.space/

Other than that, you can use Hayden Planetarium's Digital Universe Atlas to visualise most of what's shown in the video below:

However, it's 1) terribly hard to use. I mean it; 2) can't go from Earth to intergalactic scale - you have to load separate modules, one for rendering the Milky Way and another for the large-scale universe. The video is like a pre-rendered presentation stitched together from both modules, with some bells and whistles added, that I think they play in the planetarium.
link: https://www.amnh.org/research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe

Likes pinball1970
Flatwhite said:
the Netflix show ?
What Netflix show?

Likes Ibix
The one in the title. I agree capitalization or better punctuation would help, though.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and Ibix
russ_watters said:
What Netflix show?
Bandersnatch said:
The one in the title. I agree capitalization or better punctuation would help, though.
I fixed the thread title up some just now. :smile:

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Map of M87 Galaxy & Universe: Find & Explore Here!

What is the M87 Galaxy?

The M87 Galaxy, also known as Messier 87 or Virgo A, is a giant elliptical galaxy located in the Virgo Cluster. It is approximately 53.5 million light-years away from Earth and is notable for its massive size, supermassive black hole at its center, and its active galactic nucleus which emits strong radio waves.

How was the first image of the black hole in M87 captured?

The first image of the black hole in M87 was captured by the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) in April 2019. The EHT is a global network of radio telescopes that work together to create a virtual Earth-sized telescope, allowing astronomers to observe the event horizon of a black hole for the first time.

What tools and technology are used to map the M87 Galaxy?

Mapping the M87 Galaxy involves using a combination of optical telescopes, radio telescopes, and space-based observatories. Instruments such as the Hubble Space Telescope, the Very Large Array (VLA), and the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) are crucial for capturing detailed images and data of the galaxy's structure and activity.

Why is the M87 Galaxy important for scientific research?

The M87 Galaxy is important for scientific research because it provides valuable insights into the behavior of supermassive black holes, galaxy formation, and the dynamics of galaxy clusters. Its proximity and unique characteristics make it an ideal subject for studying high-energy astrophysical processes and testing theories of general relativity.

How can the public explore the M87 Galaxy and the universe?

The public can explore the M87 Galaxy and the universe through various online platforms and applications that provide interactive maps and visualizations. Websites like NASA's Eyes on the Solar System, the European Space Agency's Gaia mission portal, and virtual planetarium software allow users to navigate and learn about different celestial objects and phenomena from the comfort of their homes.