Mass of a sphere with a non-uniform density.

In summary, a sphere has a density given by ρ(x,y,z) = x+y+z where ρ is always positive and the mass is 3*pi/2 if the density is given by ##\rho(x,y,z) = |x|+|y|+|z|##.
Bergen

Homework Statement

A sphere is given by [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤ 1[/itex]. The density is given by [itex]ρ(x,y,z) = x+y+z[/itex].
Show that the mass is [itex]3π/2[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]m = ∫ρ ∂V[/itex]

[itex]∂V=ρ^2sinϕ∂ρ∂ϕ∂θ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have converted the x, y and z in the density function to spherical coordinates, and by using triple integrals this is where I am now.

[itex]m = ∫∫∫(ρsin(ϕ)cos(θ)+ρsin(ϕ)sin(θ)+ρcos(ϕ))ρ^2sinθdρdθdϕ[/itex]

I am struggeling to solve the integration due to the density function in the bracket.

Integration limits; [itex]θ = 2π→0. ϕ = π→0, ρ = 1→0[/itex]

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Bergen said:

Homework Statement

A sphere is given by [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2 ≤ 1[/itex]. The density is given by [itex]ρ(x,y,z) = x+y+z[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]m = ∫ρ ∂V[/itex]

I have converted the x, y and z in the density function to spherical coordinates, and by using triple integrals this is where I am now.

I am struggeling to solve the integration due to the density function in the bracket.

Integration limits; [itex]θ = 2π→0. ϕ = π→0, ρ = 1→0[/itex]

Best regards

It would be better to write ##\theta: 0\to 2\pi##, ##\phi: 0\to \pi##, and ##\rho: 0\to 1## in the positive direction.

With regard to your question: Multiply out the integrand and show us your work. Show us where you are stuck.

Bergen said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[itex]m = ∫ρ ∂V[/itex]

That should be
[tex]
m = \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (r \sin \phi \cos \theta + r \sin \phi \sin \theta + r \cos\phi)r^2\sin\phi\,dr\,d\theta\,d\phi
[/tex]
since
  • there are two exactly opposite conventions for defining the angular coordinates [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], but in both the angle whose sine appears in [itex]dV[/itex] is the angle whose cosine appears in the expression for [itex]z[/itex]; and
  • you shouldn't use [itex]\rho[/itex] for the radial coordinate if the question has already defined it as something else.

Bergen said:

Homework Statement

There's a typo or mistake in this problem statement. That density function results in regions of negative mass. In fact, there will be exactly as much negative mass as positive mass. The mass of this sphere is identically zero.

A mass of 3*pi/2 will result if the density is given by ##\rho(x,y,z) = |x|+|y|+|z|##.

When i multiply out the bracket and factor out ρ I'm left with this:
[itex]ρ^3(sin^2(ϕ)cos(θ)+sin^2(ϕ)sin(θ)+sin(ϕ)cos(ϕ))[/itex]

If I'm not mistaken, I have to separate [itex]ϕ[/itex] and [itex]θ[/itex] before I can integrate. That is what I don't know how to do. Maby by using some trigonometric identities?

Bergen said:
If I'm not mistaken, I have to separate [itex]ϕ[/itex] and [itex]θ[/itex] before I can integrate.
No need. When integrating wrt one, you can treat the other as a constant.
Don't forget to restrict the integral one octant to avoid the negative mass problem D H noticed.

Ok, think I got it now.
Thanks everyone!

Related to Mass of a sphere with a non-uniform density.

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density?

The formula for calculating the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density is: M = ∫ρ(r)dV, where ρ is the density function and dV is the infinitesimal volume element.

2. How do you find the density function for a sphere with non-uniform density?

The density function for a sphere with non-uniform density can be determined by dividing the total mass of the sphere by its total volume. This will give you the average density, which can then be used to create a function that varies with the radius of the sphere.

3. Can the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density be negative?

No, the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density cannot be negative. Mass is a physical property that represents the amount of matter in an object, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density differ from a sphere with uniform density?

The mass of a sphere with non-uniform density differs from a sphere with uniform density because the density is not constant throughout the sphere. This means that the density function will vary with the radius, resulting in a non-uniform distribution of mass within the sphere.

5. Can the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density change over time?

Yes, the mass of a sphere with non-uniform density can change over time if the density function is also time-dependent. This can occur if the sphere is made up of materials that can change in density, or if there are external factors that can affect the density of the sphere.

Back