Maximum velocity of object dropped from cliff

In summary: But we're dealing with maximum velocity here, so it's V=√(400) = 20 m/s.In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a 20 m cliff, assuming no air friction and a gravity of 10 m/s/s. The attempt at a solution suggests two possible answers, 15 m/s or 20 m/s, and concludes that 20 m/s is the correct answer based on the use of the SUVAT equations.
Jigen
Just finished an exam. One problem is bothering me and I want to be certain if it's right.

Homework Statement

What is the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a 20 m cliff?
Assume no air friction and gravity is 10 m/s/s.

Homework Equations

None given, but I assume v=gt is relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

15 m/s.
My reasoning was that if after 1s, the object fell 10m at 10m/s,
and after 2s, the object has fallen 30m (10m + 20m) at 20m/s (10m/s + 10m/s),
then I can divide the 2nd speed increment in half to determine speed at 20m fall (10m/s + 5m/s).

I tried using equations before answering 15.
v=gt by itself can't work without t (t was not given).
d=1/2gt^2 tells me the object fell for 2s, but that doesn't seem right (it would have traveled 30m).
Assuming t=2s is right, v = 10m/s/s * 2s = 20m/s.

So which is right: 15 or 20?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jigen said:
Just finished an exam. One problem is bothering me and I want to be certain if it's right.

Homework Statement

What is the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a 20 m cliff?
Assume no air friction and gravity is 10 m/s/s.

Homework Equations

None given, but I assume v=gt is relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

15 m/s.
My reasoning was that if after 1s, the object fell 10m at 10m/s,
and after 2s, the object has fallen 30m (10m + 20m) at 20m/s (10m/s + 10m/s),
then I can divide the 2nd speed increment in half to determine speed at 20m fall (10m/s + 5m/s).

I tried using equations before answering 15.
v=gt by itself can't work without t (t was not given).
d=1/2gt^2 tells me the object fell for 2s, but that doesn't seem right (it would have traveled 30m).
Assuming t=2s is right, v = 10m/s/s * 2s = 20m/s.

So which is right: 15 or 20?

It's 20.
In the first second it reaches 10m/s, but travels only 5m [average speed = (0+10)/2 = 5
In the second second second is increases to 20 m/s, traveling a further 15m [average speed = (10+20)/2 = 15.

Oh, that's right... it has to be averaged since speed isn't constant. Thanks.

In my day we would remember one of the the SUVAT Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

probably V2 = U2 + 2aS

where

V = final velocity
U = initial velocity
a = g ≈10
s = displacement

Reduces to

V2 = 2as
= 2 * 10 * 20
= 400

so V=20

I would suggest that you use the correct formula to solve this problem. In this case, the correct formula is v=√(2gh), where v is the maximum velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (10 m/s/s in this case), and h is the height of the cliff (20 m). Using this formula, we can calculate the maximum velocity to be approximately 19.8 m/s. Therefore, the answer is neither 15 nor 20, but rather closer to 20. I would also recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct units (meters and seconds) in your equations. Hope this helps!

Related to Maximum velocity of object dropped from cliff

1. What factors affect the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff?

The maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff is affected by the acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the height of the cliff. The higher the height of the cliff, the greater the potential energy of the object, and the faster it will accelerate towards the ground. Air resistance also plays a role in slowing down the object's acceleration, but this effect is more significant for objects with larger surface areas.

2. How is the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff calculated?

The maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the maximum velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the cliff in meters. This equation assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object.

3. Does the mass of the object affect its maximum velocity when dropped from a cliff?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its maximum velocity when dropped from a cliff. According to the equation v = √(2gh), the mass of the object is not a factor in calculating its maximum velocity. However, a heavier object will have a greater force of impact when it reaches the ground, due to its larger mass.

4. Can the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff be greater than the speed of sound?

Yes, the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff can be greater than the speed of sound (343 m/s). However, this would require a very high cliff and a relatively small and aerodynamic object. The speed of sound is also affected by air temperature and density, so it may vary depending on the conditions of the drop.

5. Is the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff the same as its terminal velocity?

No, the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff is not the same as its terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling due to the balance between the force of gravity and air resistance. On the other hand, the maximum velocity of an object dropped from a cliff is the speed it reaches at the instant before it hits the ground, without taking into account any external forces.