MCNP: How to display particles outside the source?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management and how it varies for different individuals. The group discussed the importance of prioritizing tasks and finding a balance between work and personal life. They also touched on the impact of technology on time management and shared some helpful tips for improving time management skills.
Salman Khan
TL;DR Summary
Mcnp
Particle display in visual editor of mcnp input file only shows particles inside source, I am interested to see particle path towards tally region. Plz guide thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

To display particles outside the source in MCNP, you can use the "plot" command in the MCNP visual editor. This will allow you to plot the particle tracks from the source to the tally region. You can also use the "plot" command in the MCNP output file to view the particle tracks in the tally region. Additionally, you can use the "track" option in the MCNP input file to specify specific regions to track particles through. This will allow you to see the paths of particles from the source to the tally region. I hope this helps guide you in visualizing particles outside the source in MCNP.

Related to MCNP: How to display particles outside the source?

1. How can I visualize particles outside the source in MCNP?

To visualize particles outside the source in MCNP, you need to use the PTRAC feature, which tracks particles through the simulation. You can output the particle tracks to a file and then use visualization tools like ParaView or VisIt to render the particle trajectories.

2. What settings do I need to enable in MCNP to track particles outside the source?

In your MCNP input file, you need to include the PTRAC card with appropriate settings to record the particle tracks. Specify the type of particles you want to track, the events you are interested in (e.g., collisions, surface crossings), and the output format. For example, you might use the command `PTRAC FILE=1 NPS=1000000 MAX=10000000` to track particle histories.

3. How do I interpret the PTRAC output file for particles outside the source?

The PTRAC output file contains detailed information about the tracked particles, such as their position, energy, and direction at each recorded event. You will need to parse this file, which is often in a binary format, using a script or a specialized tool provided by MCNP or third-party software to extract and visualize the relevant data.

4. Can I filter the particle tracks to only show those that exit the source region?

Yes, you can filter the particle tracks by specifying criteria in your PTRAC settings or by post-processing the PTRAC output file. For example, you can set up your PTRAC card to only record events where particles cross specific surfaces or enter certain cells, which can help you focus on particles that exit the source region.

5. Are there any visualization tools specifically recommended for displaying MCNP particle tracks?

Several visualization tools are commonly used for displaying MCNP particle tracks, including ParaView, VisIt, and MCNP's own built-in plotting capabilities. These tools can read the PTRAC output file and allow you to create 3D visualizations of the particle trajectories, helping you to analyze and understand the behavior of particles outside the source.