Measure of the Sharpness of a curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "sharpness" of a curve and the need for a function F to quantify it. The suggested method involves calculating the curvature of the curve at a given point, which can be expressed in terms of derivatives. The formula for determining the minimum radius of curvature is also mentioned.
Bavid
Measure of the "Sharpness of a curve"

I have a set of curves that belong to the family of curves [itex]y=\frac{c}{x^m}[/itex], where [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are parameters.
The attached picture (save.png) shows three such curves for different values of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex].
Now these curves have different 'sharpenss' of curvature (to see what I mean by sharpness, observe how 'sharp' a corner the lowermost curve forms compared to the uppermost).

I am trying to find a function F of [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] that can quantify this sharpness, i.e., larger value of F(m,c) indicates that the corresponding curve has a sharper corner or the vice versa.

Any ideas how to go about constructing the function F?

Attachments

• save.png
    save.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 918
Mathematics news on Phys.org

I would recommend looking at how fast the derivative changes d2y/dx2 and the higher value of this would mean a sharper curve.

It sounds to me like you are talkig about the curvature of a graph. That is the same 1 divided by the radius of curvature (the radius of the circle that best fits the curve at a given point). It can also be calculated as the length of the derivative of the unit tangent vector with respect to arclength or, if you are given x and y as functions of a parameter, t,
[tex]\kappa= \frac{x'y''- x''y'}{(x'^2+ y'^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

As you can see, that will depend upon the second derivatives as rudolfstr suggests.

Basically (as HallsofIvy says), the idea of the "curvature" at a specific point, is logically related to answer the question:
"What is the radius of the circle that best approximates the curvature of the graph at that point?"
The smaller the (osculating) circle must be, the greater the curvature (the circle's radius is simply the absolute value of the reciprocal of the curvature!)

As has been said, in terms of derivatives, this is given by a disgusting formula involving second derivatives.

radius of curvature for a general function {x, y(x)}:

radius(x) = (1 + y'(x)2)3/2 / | y''(x) |

where y' is first derivative of y, and y'' is second derivative of y.

For this case, to determine the minimum radius, you'd have to take the derivative of the radius of curvature and solve for xminr :

radius'(xminr) = 0

minimum radius = radius(xminr)

Then F(c, m) = 1 / (minimum radius (c, m))

Although not needed for this case, the radius of curvature for a general function {x(t), y(t)}:

radius(t) = ( (x'(t))2 + (y'(t))2 )3/2 / | (x'(t) y''(t)) - (y'(t) x''(t)) |

Last edited:

Thanks everyone.

<deleted>

Last edited:

FAQ: Measure of the Sharpness of a curve

What is the measure of the sharpness of a curve?

The measure of the sharpness of a curve is a mathematical concept used to describe the degree of abruptness or smoothness of a curve at a particular point. It is also known as the curvature of the curve.

How is the measure of sharpness of a curve calculated?

The measure of sharpness of a curve is calculated by finding the rate of change of the direction of the curve at a specific point. This is done by taking the second derivative of the equation of the curve and evaluating it at the desired point.

What are the units of measurement for the measure of sharpness of a curve?

The units of measurement for the measure of sharpness of a curve depend on the type of curve being analyzed. For example, for a distance-time curve, the units would be meters per second squared, while for a temperature-time curve, the units would be degrees Celsius per second squared.

What is the significance of the measure of sharpness of a curve?

The measure of sharpness of a curve is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can indicate whether the curve is smooth or abrupt, and can provide insights into the underlying processes that govern the curve.

How does the measure of sharpness of a curve relate to the concept of derivatives?

The measure of sharpness of a curve is directly related to the concept of derivatives, as it is calculated using the second derivative of the curve. Derivatives are used to measure the rate of change of a function, and the measure of sharpness of a curve is essentially a measure of the rate of change of the slope of the curve.