Measuring dark matter's repulsive force

In summary: This is just the basic premise of GR: that there is a uniform density of matter and energy throughout all of space.
twofish-quant said:
This is one of those "I don't make the rules of the universe, I just figure out what they are."

I think we need deeper explanations.

Also creation of energy really doesn't bother me that much. It turns out that conservation of energy results when you have a system that is time-symmetric. If you have systems that aren't time symmetric, then you don't get conservation of energy.

OK

If you rub your hands together fast enough heat gets created out of nothing. If you have enough energy in one place than matter/anti-matter pairs get created out of nothing.

Your posts are very good so this part surprises me. When you rub your hands your muscles are doing work (powered by "burning" food) so energy is transferred from one form and place to another form and place (energy is conserved). Likewise with pair creation the blob of energy precipitates out into pairs (energy is conserved).

Well just look at hubble's law. V=Hr. If the universe is infinite or even really, really big, then eventually you'll find a galaxy that's moving away from you at faster than light.

Yes and no. I understand the idea. I would counter with: it can not be observed. Things that can not be observed are dubious subjects for physics. We can observe redshifts with z=9 and can not observe redshift with z=infinity.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
twofish-quant said:
Part of the problem is that it's tough to see something if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

That is true, and genuinely profound.

Back