Mechanical Motion of Springs Differential Equations

Therefore, the system is critically damped for any mass when the spring constant is 4 Newtons per meter.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Skjermbilde_2012_04_23_kl_6_50_05_PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been interpreting the information in the problem as follows: [itex]F_{damping} = 4u' = μ(u')[/itex], [itex]k = \frac{4N}{m}[/itex]. If the system is critically damped then [itex]μ = 2\sqrt{km} = 2\sqrt{\frac{4N}{m}m} = 2\sqrt{4N}[/itex]. Now it seems as though the spring constant is cancelling out my mass, so if [itex]μ =4[/itex] then simply force [itex]N =1[/itex] and the system is critically damped for any mass. But then, this doesn't seem quite right. I must be misunderstanding the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "m" in N/m is NOT the mass. Nor is N a parameter. That is just saying that the spring constant is 4 Newtons per meter.

Let me see if I can do better with this now. I write,

Critically damped implies [itex]μ = 2\sqrt{km}[/itex]. Given that [itex]F_{damping} = μ(u') = 4u'[/itex], then [itex]μ = 4[/itex] and we then say [itex]4 = 2\sqrt{4m}[/itex] which implies that m = 1.

FAQ: Mechanical Motion of Springs Differential Equations

1. What is the equation for the mechanical motion of springs?

The equation for the mechanical motion of springs is known as the spring-mass system equation, and it is a second-order differential equation. It is written as F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you solve differential equations for spring-mass systems?

To solve the differential equation for a spring-mass system, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. The former involves finding a particular solution based on the form of the equation, while the latter involves finding a general solution by varying the parameters in the equation.

3. What is the significance of the natural frequency in spring-mass systems?

The natural frequency is the frequency at which a spring-mass system will oscillate when there is no external force acting on it. It is determined by the mass of the object and the stiffness of the spring. Knowing the natural frequency can help in predicting the behavior of the system and designing springs for specific applications.

4. How does damping affect the motion of a spring-mass system?

Damping is the force that opposes the motion of a spring-mass system. It can be either underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped, depending on the amount of damping present. Damping can affect the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, resulting in a slower or faster decay of the motion.

5. Can the mechanical motion of springs be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the mechanical motion of springs can be applied to various real-life situations. For example, it is used in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, shock absorbers, and even musical instruments. Understanding the dynamics of spring-mass systems is also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

Back