Mechanics (statica) of a car (centre of gravity/grip)

In summary, the conversation revolves around optimizing the mechanical grip of a car while taking a turn. The variables involved are the width, length, mass, and tire compound of the car, as well as the height of the center of gravity and the diameter of the tires. The professor suggests thinking in terms of car dimensions and simplifying the problem to a 2D scenario. The question is how to achieve the best possible grip on the road, and whether the height of the wheels affects this. The conversation ends with the mention of potentially adding weight to the car and considering a non-centered gravitational center, but that is beyond the scope of the current discussion.
Hupke
I am new here and english is only my third language so forgive me small errors.
I'm not a 12 year old so you can speak science to me. But bear in mind I'm not a theorethical physicsist with 23 phd's, just an engineering student.

The problem goes as:

You've got a car and you need to give it as much mechanical (cornering) grip as possible.

The width, lenght, massa and tire-compound are constants. (let's call them W, L, M and since it is for the friction µ(static))
For this approach the "engine" is in the centre of the car.
I mean that approximately all the weight is located in one point the (centre of gravity) that is located on W/2 and L/2)

The parameter are thus the height of the centre of gravity and the centre of the wheels.

So either the centre of gravity is below the centre of the wheels. It is at the same height or it is lower. The wheels are offcourse conected to the car by their centre.

I'm not speaking about a car accelerating or braking (there is no weight-shift and stuff). There's no mentioning of a sway-bar (although if someone could explain that as well would be nice, since that interrests me aswell)

The car is just taking a turn. So there is a force on the centre of gravity pulling the car (let us say the car is turning right, (it wasn't specified)) to the left.
And there's good old gravity. And there is the tires conecting to the road. (! there are 4 tires, since the car is turning they don't have the same forces acting upon them).

The question is then how can one achieve the best possible grip on the road. What should be the height of the centre of gravity and what should be the diameter of the tires (and thus also what should be the height of their centre).

The prof also said think in car dimensions. Let us say W = L *2/5 and the car is at least L/50 high so both the wheels and the COG should be at least so high i guess.

I've then simplyfied it some more.

The centre of gravity I'll call P. (and T1 is the left front tire, T2 is right front T3 is left rear,...)

If the car turn right there needs to be a centripetal force on P pushing it right. And there will be a centrifugal force to the left on P. They are equall (the car doesn't skid).
and let's call them F (and also constant, I mean we look at the car at only one single moment)

I think everybody get's the problem now (the question not my problem).

I can't figure this one out.
The relation between F and M for instance, they just said take them as constant's.
And then I was thinking does the height of the wheel really matter (yeah and you can see it when looking at the moment but still)

So is there anyone who has an idea about this?
Or who know's a thing or 2 about car's to get me going.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention it.
In this stadium of the question you could see it as a 2D problem.

1 Wheel left and 1 Wheel right,...

But if this was solved then I could think about adding wheight to the rods and the wheels and think about a gravitational centre that wasn't in the middle. But that would still be out of my league for this year.

Related to Mechanics (statica) of a car (centre of gravity/grip)

1. What is the center of gravity of a car?

The center of gravity of a car is the point where the weight of the entire car is evenly distributed. It is typically located near the middle of the car, but the exact location can vary depending on the design and weight distribution of the car.

2. Why is the center of gravity important in a car?

The center of gravity is important because it affects the stability and handling of the car. A lower center of gravity is generally preferred since it provides better stability and reduces the risk of the car rolling over. It also affects the car's braking and acceleration performance.

3. How does the center of gravity change when passengers or cargo are added to a car?

When passengers or cargo are added to a car, the center of gravity shifts. This is because the weight distribution of the car changes, and the center of gravity will move towards the heavier side. This can affect the car's handling and stability, so it is important to evenly distribute weight in a car.

4. How does the grip of a car's tires impact its performance?

The grip of a car's tires is crucial for its performance. The tires are responsible for providing traction and grip on the road, which affects the car's ability to accelerate, brake, and turn. The type and condition of the tires can also impact the car's handling and stability.

5. How do mechanics use the principles of statics to analyze a car's performance?

Mechanics use the principles of statics, which is the study of objects at rest or in uniform motion, to analyze a car's performance. They use concepts such as force, torque, and equilibrium to understand how different forces act on a car and how they affect its performance. This allows them to make adjustments and improvements to optimize the car's performance.