Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
Moonbear said:
Great, now we'll have a week of her signature reading, "It's NOT chiggers!" :biggrin:
OK, we have to make up a new sig for Evo. I suggest "I'm not having psychosomatic insect bites" or perhaps "I ain't crazy dammit!" Do you have a preference? After watching "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" last night, I don't want to put Evo in the clutches of a nurse Ratched. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's Morgellon's! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

AAAAH! If you get colored curly little hairs emerging from scabby sores, you are hereby officially dis-invited from any redneck matchmaking process, and you will certainly not be welcome to visit, even if you can split and stack 3-4 cords of wood a day.

:smile:

Evo has cooties! Evo has cooties! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

Evo has cooties! Evo has cooties! :biggrin:

are you saying, 'nobody can touch Evo'?

(are those red spots gone yet, evo?---the red chigger bites last about a week or so)

The spots are almost all gone.

:cry: I don't have cooties. :cry:

It was a spider the size of a dinner plate. I swear. I told that to a guy who was a spider expert once, that there was a spider the size of a small dinner plate outside my house and a neighbor had to come over and kill it with a shovel.

He said ..."no".

Yeah huh, it was huge and all the neighborhood kids were screaming. :cry:

This is what it looked like http://bugguide.net/node/view/18386

<sniff> I need a man.

Last edited:
giantspiderinvasion.jpg

there you are in your white outfit (again)

rewebster said:
giantspiderinvasion.jpg

Where do you find these pictures of me?

they're just about on every blog and every forum on the web ---- from your birth onward

rewebster said:
they're just about on every blog and every forum on the web ---- from your birth onward
:bugeye: All this time I just thought I was paranoid...

I like the live cams especially

(who lived in that place before you?)

you should have had that place 'debugged' before you moved in

http://www.artintoaction.org/_img/_uploaded/tarantulacam2.jpg

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I like the live cams especially

(who lived in that place before you?)

you should have had that place 'debugged' before you moved in

http://www.artintoaction.org/_img/_uploaded/tarantulacam2.jpg

(and if you look real close -----

you can see the chiggers on the spider---chiggers can jump about four feet when they see specifically a woman in white)

HEY!----did you take a photo of the spider?

(or is it another one of those 'hawk' things?)

Last edited:
Evo said:
This is what it looked like http://bugguide.net/node/view/18386
How could anyone harm such a beautiful creature. Looks like a huntsman. I have them in my berry patch. Great for controlling large insects.

Astronuc said:
How could anyone harm such a beautiful creature. Looks like a huntsman. I have them in my berry patch. Great for controlling large insects.
The neighbor's kids wouldn't stop screaming, so their father came over and whacked it with a shovel.

maybe it was just a really big chigger

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/images/howtogetridofchiggers/chigger.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
maybe it was just a really big chigger

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/images/howtogetridofchiggers/chigger.jpg
Now you're scaring me.

did you move near a nuclear power plant or a nuclear waste storage facility?

(check the levels in that creek by your house)

---oh, yeah---find that camera--you may see a six legged deer (we'd definitely need proof)

Last edited:
did you go out chigger hunting this afternoon?

rewebster said:
giantspiderinvasion.jpg

:smile: That's definitely Evo!

Evo said:
Still moving at a snail's pace. I actually have one picture up now. No clue where to put anything. I find mysef running in circles looking for things I know I put away, but can't remember where.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/153924/2/istockphoto_153924_slow_data_transfer​

Seven weeks now---we need another update (move, and arm, and goshawk)---and

got the bags packed---and the home warming gift packed---which day next weekend is the HOUSE WARMING PAR-TEEEE?!

Evo--did you start this:

http://wiki.cotch.net/index.php/Main_Page

I won't even tell you what happened yesterday, but I am able to walk now, still pretty painfull though.

The Child of Evo is supposed to come over and get some of those thingies that are SUPPOSED to hold heavy shelves of dishes UP as opposed to them breaking and knocking each lower shelf off in a domino effect. I'm wondering just how many pounds crashed down on me that I was able to hold up and lift out while I was bent in a very awkward position (damn I am strong). Only one dish (and my back) broken.

Hey did I mention I found a feather that might belong to that hawk?

Evo said:
I won't even tell you what happened yesterday, but I am able to walk now, still pretty painfull though.

The Child of Evo is supposed to come over and get some of those thingies that are SUPPOSED to hold heavy shelves of dishes UP as opposed to them breaking and knocking each lower shelf off in a domino effect. I'm wondering just how many pounds crashed down on me that I was able to hold up and lift out while I was bent in a very awkward position (damn I am strong). Only one dish (and my back) broken.

Hey did I mention I found a feather that might belong to that hawk?
Goshawk?:rolleyes:

Runs and hides.:eek:

(halftime break -football)

Evo----you need a MAN!

(I can't imagine there aren't any male volunteers on the PF for you--I just can't imagine it)

one feather may not help--but if you ever found that camera--post a photo of it--a real close close-up (we may be able to see some chiggers on it)

Last edited:
She needs to find a nice doctor to marry. :biggrin: That way she won't have to keep going to the ER to get patched back up. :smile:

So, we should bring dishes as housewarming gifts? :rolleyes:

get some of those thingies that are SUPPOSED to hold heavy shelves of dishes UP as opposed to them breaking and knocking each lower shelf off in a domino effect. I'm wondering just how many pounds crashed down on me that I was able to hold up and lift out while I was bent in a very awkward position (damn I am strong).
WT#?! Are you alright?!?

Are those shelves built in? How on Earth could they collapse? What sloppy carpentry is that?

Did they use cheap (soft wood) dowels or crappy brackets? I'm wondering how those shelves are fastened.

Moonbear said:
She needs to find a nice doctor to marry. :biggrin: That way she won't have to keep going to the ER to get patched back up. :smile:

or, at least an EMT guy*----

*Evo Multi-purpose Thingie guy

is next weekend the HOUSE WARMING PAR-TEEEE?!

why don't you make it a TOGA party?

toGA! toGA! toGA!

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Did they use cheap (soft wood) dowels or crappy brackets? I'm wondering how those shelves are fastened.
Little plastic pins that are flat to hold the shelf board up, I'm surprised they managed to support the shelf itself without anything on it.

The clear pin, that's it, and only one on each corner.

Attachments

• cheap plastic pin.jpg
    cheap plastic pin.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 353
It might be my wake rew, I just got up from a nap and I can barely move. I'm assuming I just sprained every muscle from my waist to my thighs. I should take someone's suggestion and put web cams around the place so people can watch me have accidents. Evo's accident cam. And we all thought moving here would be safer than the house.

I guess a toga could double as a shroud

Man! Those cheesy little pins are crap. What's worse is that they are often inserted into uprights (sides) that are only tied together at top and bottom (typical cheap construction) so that weight on the shelves can allow the uprights to bow, dumping the contents of the shelves. Shelf brackets with screws may be able to stabilize that cabinet, but if that was a cabinet that was supplied as furnishing with the new place, you need to have a talk with the owner/builder.

I had an old oak bookcase from the 1920's or 30's that had them ...but...it was solid oak and those exact type of pins were made of steel. good quality 'old' stuff

turbo-1 said:
Man! Those cheesy little pins are crap. What's worse is that they are often inserted into uprights (sides) that are only tied together at top and bottom (typical cheap construction) so that weight on the shelves can allow the uprights to bow, dumping the contents of the shelves. Shelf brackets with screws may be able to stabilize that cabinet, but if that was a cabinet that was supplied as furnishing with the new place, you need to have a talk with the owner/builder.
I don't know who put those pins in, but those are pins for little knick knack shelves, not for dishes. Right now the kitchen floor is covered with all of my dishware. I think I'm going to go to Home Depot and install some real brackets, I value my dishes (and my safety) too much.

Last edited: