Meteorology - Rainfall measurement

In summary, meteorologists use measurements in millimeters (mm) to indicate the amount of rain a region is expected to receive. This measurement is a general range, with some areas receiving more or less precipitation. The lower the measurement, the less reliable the forecast is likely to be. Each millimeter of rain equates to one liter per square meter, so a measurement of 5mm would mean 5 liters of rain per square meter.
Routaran
Hello, I wasn't sure exactly where to put this thread. Figured this was the most relevant section.
Anyway, I wanted to know what exactly do meteorologists mean when they say that a region will receive 5mm or 10mm of rain during the evening.

I read this wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precipitation_(meteorology)#Measurement
but it is all still clear as mud. I thought there was a relationship between the mm value given and the volume of water that would land over a given area but i am not sure.

Can someone please clarify? Is there anything straightforward like every square meter will get half a liter of water over 5 hours? or something to that effect?

Thanks.

Likes Rupert
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Routaran said:
Anyway, I wanted to know what exactly do meteorologists mean when they say that a region will receive 5mm or 10mm of rain during the evening.

They certainly mean anything precise by it because their own information is quite general. All this means is that most of the locations in the region will get somewhere between 5mm and 10mm of precipitation during the evening. Some will get more than that, and some will get nothing at all.

As a general rule of thumb, you should know that the lower the total (and 5 to 10mm is quite low) the lower the reliability of the forecast. A forecast of 10cm would give you a far likelier chance of getting at least something.

When rainfall is collected, it goes through a funnel into a tube. The funnel mouth is about 10x wider than the tube(I think), so the actual height of the collected rain is larger than what you would see in a box or whatever. The height on the tube is what is measured, though. The tube is shrunken to amplify differences in height, making it more accurate.

Routaran said:

Can someone please clarify? Is there anything straightforward like every square meter will get half a liter of water over 5 hours? or something to that effect?

Thanks.

1mm rain means that every square meter covered with water with the height of 1mm. One meter is 1000mm, so the total volume is 1000 x 1000 x 1 = 10^6 cubic mm or 10^3 cubic cm or 1 cubic dm, which is one liter. So for every mm of rain you get one liter per square meter.

As a scientist in the field of meteorology, I can provide some clarification on rainfall measurement. When meteorologists say that a region will receive 5mm or 10mm of rain, they are referring to the amount of precipitation that is expected to fall in that region during a specific time period, usually within a 24-hour period. This measurement is typically taken using a rain gauge, which collects and measures the amount of rain that falls in a specific area.

The mm value given does indeed have a relationship with the volume of water that will land in a particular area. For example, if a region is expected to receive 10mm of rain, this means that for every square meter of land, there will be 10 liters of water falling during the specified time period. This amount of water can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the rainfall.

It is important to note that the amount of rain measured may not be evenly distributed across the entire region. Some areas may receive more or less rain, depending on factors such as topography, wind patterns, and other weather conditions. This is why meteorologists often refer to a range of rainfall, such as 5-10mm, to account for potential variations.

In summary, the mm value given by meteorologists is a measure of the amount of rain expected to fall in a specific region during a specified time period. While there is a relationship between the mm value and the volume of water that will land, it is important to keep in mind that this measurement may not be evenly distributed across the entire region.

Related to Meteorology - Rainfall measurement

1. How is rainfall measured?

Rainfall is measured using a rain gauge, which is a cylindrical container with a wide opening at the top and a graduated scale on the side. The gauge is placed in an open, level area away from any obstructions, and the amount of rain collected is measured in either inches or millimeters.

2. What is the difference between precipitation and rainfall?

Precipitation refers to any form of water that falls from the atmosphere and reaches the ground, including rain, snow, sleet, and hail. Rainfall specifically refers to liquid water falling from the atmosphere and reaching the ground in the form of droplets.

3. How is rainfall data used in meteorology?

Rainfall data is used by meteorologists to track weather patterns and predict future weather conditions. It can also be used to assess the impacts of severe weather events, such as floods or droughts, and help with water resource management and agriculture planning.

4. What is the average rainfall in a specific location?

The average rainfall in a specific location can vary greatly depending on factors such as climate, topography, and seasonal variations. It is best to consult historical rainfall data for the specific location to determine the average rainfall.

5. How does climate change affect rainfall patterns?

Climate change can alter rainfall patterns by increasing the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, such as heavy rainstorms and droughts. It can also lead to changes in the distribution and timing of rainfall, which can have significant impacts on agriculture, water resources, and ecosystems.