Millikan Experiment Based Marble Mass Homework

In summary, the conversation involved arranging masses in ascending order and finding the average mass of marbles. The average of the differences in mass was also calculated and the resulting mass of one marble was found to be 20.33 g, which does not make sense. The question also mentioned that there is a maximum of 5-6 marbles in one container and the empty container weighs at least 3 g. The conversation then delved into determining the number of marbles in different containers based on their masses and the possibility of having two marbles in a container of 11g. The discussion ended with the suggestion to think logically and the mentioning of Millikan's experiment involving oil droplets with varying electrical charge.
I think that 3 gram minimum is inaccurate, and is resulting in extra confusion. I estimate the container to be closer to 2 grams.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
I think that 3 gram minimum is inaccurate, and is resulting in extra confusion. I estimate the container to be closer to 2 grams.
hmmmm. these are the values my teacher gave me...

Likes Charles Link
Apologies. You almost got it but you need to choose best values from noisy data:
orangegalaxies said:
Largest mass: 31.9 g
Approx weight of one marble: 4 g
Mass of empty container: minimum of 3 g

(31.9 - 3)/4 = 7 marbles in largest container

This is wrong, I don't follow what you are saying, can you please explain?
Can't be 7 marbles by definition. Mass of marble is more like 4.5, Try another guess. It won't be perfect.

Now make guess and plot mass vs # marbles for all data points.

If you look at the data, at first glance, (I'm sure you observed it as well), there appears to be increments of between 4.5 and 5 grams. There is a jump from 11 to 21, but with a small sample, it's not surprising that the 16 is absent.

Likes orangegalaxies and hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Apologies. You almost got it but you need to choose best values from noisy data:
Can't be 7 marbles by definition. Mass of marble is more like 4.5, Try another guess. It won't be perfect.

Now make guess and plot mass vs # marbles for all data points.
Can you explain how you got 4.5 g?

Assuming each marble is 4.5, and the empty container is 3:

Mass : Number of marbles
11.0 g = ~2
11.1 g = ~2
20.6 g = ~4
21.4 g = ~4
21.5 g = ~4
25.7 g = ~5
25.8 g = ~5
25.9 g = ~5
31.6 g = ~6
31.9 g = ~6

Charles Link said:
If you look at the data, at first glance, (I'm sure you observed it as well), there appears to be increments of between 4.5 and 5 grams. There is a jump from 11 to 21, but with a small sample, it's not surprising that the 16 is absent.
Yeah you're right that is a patterm

Likes Charles Link
I just spotted something else=they give you the weight of the container to be at least 3 grams=it might even be large enough to make the 11 g have just one marble=my previous post on this being inaccurate and possibly 2 grams was incorrect.

Likes orangegalaxies
Charles Link said:
I disagree I think it is more like 6g. The problem says >3.

Likes Charles Link
hutchphd said:
I disagree I think it is more like 6g. The problem says >3.
see my post 42 :)

Likes hutchphd
Charles Link said:
I just spotted something else=they give you the weight of the container to be at least 3 grams=it might even be large enough to make the 11 g have just one marble=my previous post on this being inaccurate and possibly 2 grams was incorrect.
This is also true yeah

Likes Charles Link
Yes Now the OP needs to graph the data, draw the best linear fit. Slope gives marble mass, intercept gives container mass

Likes Merlin3189 and Charles Link
hutchphd said:
Yes Now the OP needs to graph the data, draw the best linear fit. Slope gives marble mass, intercept gives container mass
graph the differences in masses?

Graph y=total measured mass vs. x=number of marbles
y value for x=0 gives mass of container.

Likes hutchphd
Your eyeball and ruler will draw the "best" line pretty well. Gives the best fit to all the data.

Likes Charles Link
is there a way to solve this problem without graphing? my teacher never mentioned graphing, they only said you need to find the averages. they are a pretty bad teacher tbh but i wanted to confirm

Plot every point and then make the best line ...better than averages (apologies to your teacher).

hutchphd said:
Your eyeball and ruler will draw the "best" line pretty well. Gives the best fit to all the data.
in your previous post, is there any way you found the marble mass = 4.5 g? calculations i mean

Rough graph in my head. Do the graph. Excel for graph?
Your head does a good "least squares fit" to the straight line.

hutchphd said:
Rough graph in my head. Do the graph. Excel?
sure, but as Charles mentioned, y=total measured mass vs. x=number of marbles. To find the number of marbles I need the mass of one so I wanted to know how you can say its 4.5 g

orangegalaxies said:
in your previous post, is there any way you found the marble mass = 4.5 g? calculations i mean
The increments are about 4.5 other than the missing 16. This is a very simple graph to draw by hand=if you have some graph paper it helps. Otherwise EXCEL is often used, but that can take some work to learn.

You only need the integer number of marbles to plot the data. I guessed the 4.5 because it seemed to give integers within reasonable error limits. The error in the mass obtained from the best fit line (slope) from the graph should be good to a few percent. This slope in the Millikan oil drop experiment gave Millikan the charge increment for little balls of oil, electron by electron as he irradiated them). A truly beautiful experiment.
Incidentally it is possible that all the changes in the graph involved always moving 2 marbles (or3 or4) but it is less and less likely More data would make it more certain.

Likes Charles Link
hutchphd said:
You only need the integer number of marbles to plot the data. I guessed the 4.5 because it seemed to give integers within reasonable error limits. The error in the mass obtained from the best fit line (slope) from the graph should be good to a few percent. This slope in the Millikan oil drop experiment gave Millikan the charge increment for little balls of oil, electron by electron as he irradiated them). A truly beautiful experiment.
Incidentally it is possible that all the changes in the graph involved always moving 2 marbles (or3 or4) but it is less and less likely More data would make it more certain.
Hello, after graphing, I got a slope of 4.49992 and a y-intercept of 3.00000061. Is this reasonable?

orangegalaxies said:
Hello, after graphing, I got a slope of 4.49992 and a y-intercept of 3.00000061. Is this reasonable?
Please draw the graph. I don't think you graphed it, because I just graphed it, and I got round numbers, but not real close to 4.5, and certainly not 3 for the other number. The accuracy is only one decimal place or thereabouts.

If you want a shortcut to the graph, you can take the n=1 point the n=5 point, (n=number of marbles), and compute the slope between these two points. Once you know the mass of the marble, it is easy to compute the mass of the container without a y-intercept.

The graph is the preferred method=I used paper with 1/4" squares.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
And I think the first data cluster is for n=1 marble so the mass of the container is ~6g. Good that you are on it!

Likes etotheipi and Charles Link
hutchphd said:
And I think the first data cluster is for n=1 marble so the mass of the container is ~6g
The graph shows this answer very clearly, and I'm hoping the OP will draw the graph like I did to see this for himself.

Likes etotheipi and hutchphd
One note about this problem for the OP is that it was important that they stated that the container weighed at least 3 grams, because if the container were only about one gram or thereabouts, the mass readings of about 11 grams could have had two marbles each.
This would not affect the slope of the graph, but would simply shift the x-axis, so that the y-axis intercept (at x=0) would be at 1g instead of 6g. (I encourage you to draw the graph=this should then all make sense).
With a container of at least 3 grams, it became clear that there was only one marble for the 11 gram data points.
Looking at the graph (at x=0) is then the simplest way to then get this 6g answer for the mass of the container.
I originally thought that n=2 for this case of 11 grams, but that was my mistake.

Last edited:
thanks guys, i don't have any graph paper on me so i tried to graph it digitally which didn't work apparently. i will get some today to finish it off. would you be able to help me answer these questions?
- Would having more containers make this easier?: i think so since it would give more data right?
- Would having a large variety of quantity (eg: having max of 7-11 marbles instead of 5-6) make this easier?
- How does this relate to Millikan's experiment?
- What are some sources of error?: damage to either the container/marbles which would alter their mass?

also can you please explain the average method if i can't find any graph paper?

orangegalaxies said:
thanks guys, i don't have any graph paper on me so i tried to graph it digitally which didn't work apparently. i will get some today to finish it off. would you be able to help me answer these questions?
- Would having more containers make this easier?: i think so since it would give more data right?
- Would having a large variety of quantity (eg: having max of 7-11 marbles instead of 5-6) make this easier?
- How does this relate to Millikan's experiment?
- What are some sources of error?: damage to either the container/marbles which would alter their mass?
To be honest, in the 63 posts so far, there have not been many contributions from you. You need to show a better grasp of the problem yourself.

PeroK said:
To be honest, in the 63 posts so far, there have not been many contributions from you. You need to show a better grasp of the problem yourself.
okay thanks. i was told to solve it a different way by my teacher so i tried doing that but the other contributors said to do it another way which i obviously don't know how to do therefore i am unable to contribute. i can only grasp the problem if someone explains which is not the case since it seems more like everyone is asking me why I'm not doing this a certain way instead of telling me WHY AND HOW i am supposed to do it that way.

Likes Delta2
orangegalaxies said:
okay thanks. i was told to solve it a different way by my teacher so i tried doing that but the other contributors said to do it another way which i obviously don't know how to do therefore i am unable to contribute
You need to take responsibility for your own academic progress. I'm not convinced that it's your teacher's fault - or the people who've posted ideas or suggestions here.

orangegalaxies said:
okay thanks. i was told to solve it a different way by my teacher so i tried doing that but the other contributors said to do it another way which i obviously don't know how to do therefore i am unable to contribute. i can only grasp the problem if someone explains which is not the case since it seems more like everyone is asking me why I'm not doing this a certain way instead of telling me WHY AND HOW i am supposed to do it that way.
Please read my post 58. There is a shortcut presented there that you can do without graph paper that is reasonably accurate.

PeroK said:
You need to take responsibility for your own academic progress. I'm not convinced that it's your teacher's fault - or the people who've posted ideas or suggestions here.
i'm not saying it's their fault. my teacher doesn't offer any support to their students, i can't teach myself everything through youtube videos and tutorials. i need someone to explain things to me which is why i came here. i am new to these concepts, if someone tells me something once, i won't just take it to be correct, i need to understand why that method was used which takes time.

orangegalaxies said:
i'm not saying it's their fault. my teacher doesn't offer any support to their students, i can't teach myself everything through youtube videos and tutorials. i need someone to explain things to me which is why i came here. i am new to these concepts, if someone tells me something once, i won't just take it to be correct, i need to understand why that method was used which takes time.
Here's the first thing I said on this thread:

PeroK said:
This is perhaps a tough question, as you may actually have to think about what to do.

We can't think for you: you have to do that yourself.

Likes etotheipi and hutchphd
PeroK said:
Here's the first thing I said on this thread:
We can't think for you: you have to do that yourself.
yes i don't need you to, thanks.