Minimal number of successful communication

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three armies and a mountain. It is revealed that only armies A and B together can defeat army C, but they can only communicate through a pigeon, which may not always reach the other side of the mountain. The question is asked about the minimal number of times the pigeon needs to reach the other side. Suggestions are made about using the pigeon to confirm attack plans between A and B. The conversation ends with a question about what happens next.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I got stuck with the following exercise:

There are three armies A,B,C. Between the armies A and B there is a mountain. Only A and B together can beat the army C. A and B can only comminicate with a pigeon. But it is not sure that the pigeon gets to the other side of the mountain.
Which is the minimal number of times where the pigeon gets to the other side of the mountain??

Could you give me some hints what I am supposed t do?? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I got stuck with the following exercise:

There are three armies A,B,C. Between the armies A and B there is a mountain. Only A and B together can beat the army C. A and B can only comminicate with a pigeon. But it is not sure that the pigeon gets to the other side of the mountain.
Which is the minimal number of times where the pigeon gets to the other side of the mountain??

Could you give me some hints what I am supposed t do?? (Wondering)

Hi! (Smile)

Before either A or B attacks they will both want to know for sure if and when the other attacks.
So A must have confirmation that B received his message.

Let's say that A starts by sending a pigeon to B, saying that A will attack tomorrow at noon, but only if he gets confirmation from B, that he will also attack at the same time. (Thinking)

How does this story continue? (Wondering)

FAQ: Minimal number of successful communication

What is the "Minimal number of successful communication"?

The "Minimal number of successful communication" is a concept in communication science that refers to the minimum number of exchanges or interactions necessary for a message to be successfully transmitted and understood by the receiver.

Why is the "Minimal number of successful communication" important to study?

Studying the "Minimal number of successful communication" can help us understand how communication works and how to improve it. It can also help us identify potential barriers to successful communication and develop strategies to overcome them.

How is the "Minimal number of successful communication" measured?

The "Minimal number of successful communication" can be measured in various ways, such as the number of repetitions or rephrasing needed for a message to be understood, the number of feedback loops between the sender and receiver, or the number of errors or misunderstandings in the communication process.

What factors can affect the "Minimal number of successful communication"?

There are several factors that can affect the "Minimal number of successful communication", including the complexity of the message, the communication skills and knowledge of the sender and receiver, the context of the communication, and external factors such as noise or distractions.

How can the "Minimal number of successful communication" be improved?

The "Minimal number of successful communication" can be improved by using effective communication techniques, such as clear and concise language, active listening, and providing feedback. It is also important to consider the context and adapt the communication style accordingly to increase the chances of successful communication.